Seagate external HDD media playback issue

Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,

WD drives are fantastic. I've never had one fail on me, and the only problem I've ever had with one, is the USB 3.0 dropping out on it for whatever reason with my WD My Book Essential 3TB external. That being said, all the features the drive has, are fantastic, and as much as I hate to admit, I've had it fall over a few times, and it's still chugging along. Can't say that about Seagate drives. WD drives also have the best price:performance:longevity in my opinion, and it's no surprise why almost all builds (or the vast majority, more accurately) use WD's for HDD's. They just work, and they last.

Hi,

I've ran into a problem with my Seagate backup+ external HDD. Every time I try to play a video file (.mkv, .mp4, .avi) from my HDD directly on my Samsung smart TV the HDD just shuts down after a few minutes of watching.

Seagate told me that they couldn't help me because the hard drive was meant for backup purposes, but every HDD should be capable of video playback right? 

My HDD does work fine on other tv's and my pc aswell. Also when I use a usb-stick or my brother's Western Digital HDD it seems to work fine with the Samsung TV.

So, does anyone have the same issue with this product or maybe has a solution to fix this problem?

Thanks for reading and greetings from the Netherlands!

Greetings to Netherlands!

Seagate told you that they cannot help because of that specific reason? That is purely ridiculous from the technical perspective. With the information from your side I can very easily say that this issue is related to your Samsung TV, not your HDD. However, this does not make Seagate's response any less ridiculous.

An HDD is an HDD and it will always be an HDD. No matter what it is designed for it will be able to perform tasks that all HDDs can, which are read/write sequentially and read/write randomly, with some HDDs doing certain specific things better, for your drive these are backup and restore features that it does better. So just as you said this does not, in no way, mean that it cannot play a video file, that is nonsense, and Seagate's response here is basically shows you how little they have listened to your issue in details.

Anyway, you say your HDD works fine with any device other than your Samsung TV, so this points the pin to your TV unfortunately and there I cannot offer any fixes as I know very little of what you can and cannot do on a Samsung Smart TV.

Maybe try to contact Samsung to check if there's a software update in the pipeline that might help you, and/or beforehand try to check if there is an update you are missing already.

Thanks for your response!

Yeah I think I'm gonna try contacting Samsung like you said. Might be a software problem so my hope is on that haha.

Thanks for your response!

Yeah I think I'm gonna try contacting Samsung like you said. Might be a software problem so my hope is on that haha.

Hope you get a better response from than you got from Seagate and that it somehow solves your issue, good luck! :)

Btw, don't buy Seagate... They have the worst 3 year failure rate of the big drive manufacturers.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Btw, don't buy Seagate... They have the worst 3 year failure rate of the big drive manufacturers.

I agree 100%. Had 2 Seagate drives fail on me within the course of a year. Stickin with Western Digital now ;)

Thanks for the reactions

Update: tried updating the firmware of my Samsung Tv but still have the problem.

Really considering switching to WD now!

WD drives are fantastic. I've never had one fail on me, and the only problem I've ever had with one, is the USB 3.0 dropping out on it for whatever reason with my WD My Book Essential 3TB external. That being said, all the features the drive has, are fantastic, and as much as I hate to admit, I've had it fall over a few times, and it's still chugging along. Can't say that about Seagate drives. WD drives also have the best price:performance:longevity in my opinion, and it's no surprise why almost all builds (or the vast majority, more accurately) use WD's for HDD's. They just work, and they last.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Sold my seagate drive and bought a WD My Passport 1tb instead. 

Thanks for advising me!

Sold my seagate drive and bought a WD My Passport 1tb instead. 

Thanks for advising me!

I wish you luck! They're great little machines. Hopefully, you don't have the same issue. My bet though, if you do, is it's the drives sleep setting kicking in, and turning it off, even though it's not being used, however I doubt that will happen.

Look. Seagate or WD doesn't matter, their consumer drives are both unreliable. This is the true and not something else. There are no reliable failure data.

If you want to backup important data than buy enterprise drives (are mostly 40-80$ dollar more expensive than usual drives) and put them in RAID. I saw so many Seagate and WD drives die. It doesn't matter if it was instantly, slowly or during data recovery. 

I ensure you that your new HDD, could die tomorrow. It could last one second or 10 years but when it happens, you will be surprised :)

In respect to consumer drives, Seagate does have the higher failure rate. And, if you say the study is not reliable, using 27,000 drives over 3 years, is a very large sample size that would indeed be quite indicative. Regardless, enterprise drives will always work best, but we're talking about a single external drive here. Not running a multi-bay drive enclosure with enterprise grade drives, that might not even be recognized by the TV.