do i have to remove the thermal paste?

Timopomer

hey there fellow LTT's members

im soon buying a new air cooler and i wonder if i need to remove the stock thermal paste off my cpu once i want to install the new heatsink

the stock thermal paste was applied 2 months ago so maybe it could just..stay on there? i could add a little new blob and just install it.

the amd thermal paste didnt look very "liquid" on the stock cooler it was applied on

Clean it, you don't just keep it there. It won't cool properly for the most part.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

nope, you have to remove the old stuff, don't be lazy as it will mess up your temps.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Get some isopropyl alchohol and rub it off. Then apply some new thermal compound on the CPU prior to installing your heatsink.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Sticking the heatsink back down onto the same paste will introduce air bubbles which will reduce the efficiency of the transfer of heat.

Get some isopropyl alchohol and rub it off. Then apply some new thermal compound on the CPU prior to installing your heatsink.

getting that alcohol stuff is a 1 time investment i will never need again. im not planning on building a new computer in the next 5 years or so.

is there something more accessible i could use to remove it? i dont even know where to get that stuff where i live

getting that alcohol stuff is a 1 time investment i will never need again. im not planning on building a new computer in the next 5 years or so.

is there something more accessible i could use to remove it? i dont even know where to get that stuff where i live

Just go to the a  pharmacy. Like $5 god damn dollars. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

You need isopropyl alcohol, you can also use it for clean cuts and scraps for your body. 

Could use a small bottle of non scented hand sanitizer possibly?

Or maybe non scented sterile wipes?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just go to the a  pharmacy. Like $5 god damn dollars. 

money isnt the problem,much rather if they even have isopropyl alchohol

Then what is this one time investment thing you said if it doesn't matter? What really matters is that you need to get the old stuff off and you need something like alcohol to do it with. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Then what is this one time investment thing you said if it doesn't matter? What really matters is that you need to get the old stuff off and you need something like alcohol to do it with. 

investments in sence of alot of alcohol i dont need ><

It's like the most common thing in pharmacies.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

investments in sence of alot of alcohol i dont need ><

Since when is $5 an investment? Just buy it...

Just buy the isopropyl alcohol. I did it and I'll only use it maybe 3 times, but it's worth having incase you need to help a friend, there's an issue with the pc and you have to remove the heatsink, and many other reasons.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

your not reading what i said

i wish i could order things in amazon

im not very often in pharmacies,ill go there and ask for it :D thanks

OK first of all we have told you to buy it 100 times and you keep saying no no no. Just buy the alcohol. I read what you said and it makes no sense. $5 is an investment to you? It is a tiny amount of money.

Yes, Always!

Even if I have to install the stock, do a quick test, remove it and put on an aftermarket one, I would always put on new paste.

Its not like its expensive.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

OK first of all we have told you to buy it 100 times and you keep saying no no no. Just buy the alcohol. I read what you said and it makes no sense. $5 is an investment to you? It is a tiny amount of money.

you are not reading!!!!!!!

ITS NOT THE MONEY,ITS THE AMOUNT OF USELESS ALCOHOL I WOULD NEED TO BUY TO REMOVE A BIT OF THERMAL PASTE

now you understand? caps might help you

ITS NOT THE MONEY,ITS THE AMOUNT OF USELESS ALCOHOL I WOULD NEED TO BUY TO REMOVE A BIT OF THERMAL PASTE

I understand that but you need to buy the alcohol anyway. I understand why you don't want to get it, but I'm saying you need to.

Typical 12 year old on this forum. I try to help and you freak out. 

Just use whatever you want then. Use KFC wet wipes, then wash your hands with them. There you go......no waste lol
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I understand that but you need to buy the alcohol anyway. I understand why you don't want to get it, but I'm saying you need to.

Typical 12 year old on this forum. I try to help and you freak out. 

typical 12 year old, come on. your the one that doesnt read what im saying and you wonder why im not pleased by people like you repeating themselfs over and over

i have 5 bucks.but i rather not buy a big amount of alcohol for no reason.

i thought there maybe is a diffrent way,but there isnt so i will but enough alcohol for my next 40 years

typical 12 year old, come on. your the one that doesnt read what im saying and you wonder why im not pleased by people like you repeating themselfs over and over

i have 5 bucks.but i rather not buy a big amount of alcohol for no reason.

i thought there maybe is a diffrent way,but there isnt so i will but enough alcohol for my next 40 years

I read what you said and replied saying you needed to buy it anyway. Take your help, don't get angry. Buy the smallest amount you can buy it is $5. If money isn't a problem then you wouldn't care. Considering you built a PC tat is going to last for 5 years, you obviously have enough money to buy $5 worth of alcohol. 

TL;DR: OP is mad because he has to spend $5.

/thread.