Can you install windows 8.1 from a USB?

Cokeman

Is there anyway you can download windows to a usb without a disc? Like if I buy an activation code, can you download windows from Microsoft's website?

Yes you buy it from their website and it will give you a install wizard. From there you can choose to make a bootable USB drive.

EDIT: Here is a link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Edited by sterreprop

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

I believe you can.

ZEUS

CPUi7 4770K - 4.4Ghz CoolerNoctua NH-D14 MB: Maximus VI Hero RAM4 x 4GB Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133Mhz GPUWindforce 780ti Case: Corsair C70 Storage: 3 x 128GB 840 Pro SSD in RAID 0 , 2 x 1TB Barracuda PSU860W AX860i Displays: Asus VG248QE 144Hz , Asus VE247H 60Hz KeyboardRazer Blackwidow 2013 MouseRazer Deathadder SoundSennheiser HD 558 Mic: Blue Snowball

"If I'm not quoted I probably won't reply back to you."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Follow the above link if you already have an activation code, you can acquire the ISO through the first link in that page (the setup file), after entering a product key.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

yes, you can install basically every OS from a usb, as long as the mobo supports it. (from 2008+ most mobos support it)

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

yes, you can install basically every OS from a usb, as long as the mobo supports it. (from 2008+ most mobos support it)

I do have a new MB I'm getting ready to build my new system. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MP7rRB     I saw G2A had windows keys for $25 so that why I was wondering if you could install just the windows files to a usb.

No, the simplest way is to use Rufus. Google it. Its really simple.

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

If you get a retail version of windows you can just follow the steps every one else has been linking, but if you happen upon an OEM version, you're going to have to jump through some hoops as the microsoft software that downloads and mounts the ISO will not accept an OEM key. First of all your going to need to get your hands on a windows 8.1 iso. You can either get this off the installation disk or torrent it from a third party (such as the MyDigitalLife forums). Next you need to mount the iso to your usb, I use Rufus to do this. Now all that's left is to change the boot order in your BIOS, boot to the USB and install windows.

PS: At some point during the installation processes it will ask you for your product key. If it doesn't accept your OEM key try to skip the step or use a generic key (you can find this through google, ie: 'windows 8.1 professional generic key'), then continue with the installation. Once finished you can activate windows with your OEM key by using the following command in cmd: 'slui 3'. Make sure you run cmd as administrator for this to work. 

@diiPex KMSPi*cough* *cough*

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64