4690k or 4790k

Alright so I was at microcenter today to return something and my eye caught hold of clearance motherboards (open box). So I was looking and saw a Maximus VII Hero for $186. Then I saw a sign that said %30 off clearance. So after the math, the board only cost $128, so I just had to buy iit, it was too good of a deal. (Still has that new board smell too

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

The i5 is faster than the 8350 for rendering.

Hyperthreading does provide a benefit with rendering, it's not massive but it exists.

If you can afford the 4790K why not take it, I always recommend the i5 for a gamer, but if you want to multitask and also render a lot then the i7 does come into play.

The i5 is faster than the 8350 for rendering.

Hyperthreading does provide a benefit with rendering, it's not massive but it exists.

If you can afford the 4790K why not take it.

Minimum wage job is killing me ahaha

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Hello 

If you do serious video rendering than the i7 might be a good investment due to the benefits of advanced hyper threading. However, if you are on a budget the i5 should serve you well and is still good for video rendering.

Hope this helps. :)

-snipity-snip-

If you make lots of money, then get the 4790k. 

If you have lots of money (at the moment), get the 4690k, save up for some other stuff.

"Rawr XD"

If you make lots of money, then get the 4790k.

If you have lots of money (at the moment), get the 4690k, save up for some other stuff.

I already have a complete build lol, its only the CPU. I'm using an 8350 and 290x atm

Minimum wage job is killing me ahaha

You have the top Z97 board, it'd be a crime not to furnish it with the best available CPU.

Then don't spray dollars at the ROG board, it's really not needed if you are a gamer.

Maybe look at these.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97G55_SLI.html#hero-overview

It was only $128 lol ofc I'm going to buy it. Minimum I'd pay for a mobo is $100

You have the top Z97 board, it'd be a crime not to furnish it with the best available CPU.

Truuu

Decision is made! :D

Nope lol I have another 2 weeks till I get paid

Yeah as long as you can afford the 4790K go for it... they are just sweet :) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Alright so I was at microcenter today to return something and my eye caught hold of clearance motherboards (open box). So I was looking and saw a Maximus VII Hero for $186. Then I saw a sign that said %30 off clearance. So after the math, the board only cost $128, so I just had to buy iit, it was too good of a deal. (Still has that new board smell too

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I already have a complete build lol, its only the CPU. I'm using an 8350 and 290x atm

lol if you already have a hella overclocked 8350 then you're more then good :P

"Rawr XD"

lol if you already have a hella overclocked 8350 then you're more then good :P

But you can´t really compare a FX8350 to an i7 4790K... this CPU is in stock faster than the FX overclocked in single cores processes so much that it´s not even funny anymore. Therefore if he has got the money he should go for it.

Sure the 8350 will do... but why go with Ford Focus when you can have the Mustang V8 ;) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

But you can´t really compare a FX8350 to an i7 4790K... this CPU is in stock faster than the FX overclocked in single cores processes so much that it´s not even funny anymore. Therefore if he has got the money he should go for it.

Sure the 8350 will do... but why go with Ford Focus when you can have the Mustang V8 ;) .

Because I already have an 8350 and might not want to waste money that I don't have on something I don't need potentially, which would be the i7.

Because he already has a really good AM3+ mobo to go with that 8350, and it's already overclocked really well. It might fall behind the i7 a little bit but more apps (especially games) are becoming multi-core optimized and it's not really worth it to get rid of the CPU and mobo he has now for a different set. I'll take the Focus over the Mustang  :P

"Rawr XD"

@Buckley could you list me what games you play? If you're ever planning to get a 2nd GPU, in some games like BF4 you'd see a good difference (nothing world breaking like ~10-20%) from HT but in most other games you won't. WD as well but that's all about it. 

@Buckley could you list me what games you play? If you're ever planning to get a 2nd GPU, in some games like BF4 you'd see a good difference (nothing world breaking like ~10-20%) from HT but in most other games you won't. WD as well but that's all about it. 

mainly just bf3/4, blops 1 and 2, crysis, watch dogs and a few others, mostly gpu bound games. and probably not going to get a 2nd gpu.

Then maybe the Headline of this topic isn´t the best... if you are happy with you CPU why even bother to buy another one? I just gave you an advice from a very performance oriented point of view nothing more ;).

@ Aniallation

Okay you take the Focus I´ll take the V8 :) .

Stick with the I7 4790k.You will not regret it but make sure that you buy a high performance liquid cooler(closed one) cuz they get hot.

mainly just bf3/4, blops 1 and 2, crysis, watch dogs and a few others, mostly gpu bound games. and probably not going to get a 2nd gpu.

In BF4 you won't see a difference between the i5 & i7 and neither in WD except with 2 gpu's so ~20% difference. BF3 currently is cpu bound mostly, especially the map strike at karkand and there won't be any difference between the i5 & i7 (proof: youtube.com/watch?v=pDdqWoj3kF4)

Rendering wise, an average of 30-35% gain is that really worth the 100$? Imo no unless you're a professional CAD engineer orsomething :P 

Then maybe the Headline of this topic isn´t the best... if you are happy with you CPU why even bother to buy another one? I just gave you an advice from a very performance oriented point of view nothing more ;).

@ Aniallation

Okay you take the Focus I´ll take the V8 :) .

yes but i just bought a new motherboard for intel so im not sure which i should get. i plan on keeping my 8350

In BF4 you won't see a difference between the i5 & i7 and neither in WD except with 2 gpu's so ~20% difference. BF3 currently is cpu bound mostly, especially the map strike at karkand and there won't be any difference between the i5 & i7 (proof: youtube.com/watch?v=pDdqWoj3kF4)

Rendering wise, an average of 30-35% gain is that really worth the 100$? Imo no unless you're a professional CAD engineer orsomething :P

yeah, the $199 price tag is extremely compelling compared to the $270, especially with my job situation