Quick pc building tips

Jebonia

My idea for this thread is that the community posts quick little tips to make building a PC easier for a new builder. I'll kick it off with a few

1) when looking for graphics card lengths, keep in mind where the power will be plugging into. The card might only be 8 inches but the 6 pin power might be facing towards the front of the case so you will need extra room for that.

2) Screw your graphics card in before plugging in the power. I sometimes forget to do this when changing graphics cards around and the card will pop a wheelie

3) Unplug dvi/hdmi/adaptors/etc before removing graphics cards!

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

Double check that all your cables are seated correctly

put in the io shield before you install the mobo

This is more of planning, but for the love of god get a good PSU, it it shorts out the entire system is gone, instead of getting that 16gb ram get 8gb and put the money into a good PSU, if you dont know if its a good PSU go to jonnyguru.com

Most importantly, Read the manual for EVERYTHING twice, and make sure you know how to build a pc.that helps to

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

3) Unplug dvi/hdmi/adaptors/etc before removing graphics cards!

I have yet to remember to do this.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Never close the side panel of a new build, always see if it is working first then close the side panels :) :P

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

Not trying to come off mean or anything, but isn't that what the forums was made for? 

Well not everyone has time to search through thousands of threads. anyway, if my idea was stupid, it will die out. And atleast i gave it a shit

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

same

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

Don't remove the cpu socket cover. Just install the cpu and it will pop off by its self. Keep it just incase you need to take out the cpu for extended periods of time or when you need to rma your mobo

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

Do not plug USB drives into the LAN port on a Laptop. They will not work.

Sounds stupid, but I STILL pull this to this day on my friends laptop, because the ports are right beside each other. He laughs at me each time. It's not funny.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Make sure your monitor is set to the correct input. 

Make sure your power supply is turned on.

Test everything outside the case before putting it in and finding out it doesn't work and taking it back out

CPU: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz with Corsair H100 RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4) SSD: Samsung 840 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Strix GTX 1080 

PSU: OCZ 650W CASE: Fractal Define R5

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MelchiorVester/saved/#view=RKNXsY

One time I tried to take a card out without detaching it from the case. I was like "why won't this thing move?....Oh...right."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

One time I tried to take a card out without detaching it from the case. I was like "why won't this thing move?....Oh...right."

Only once? You're a lucky soul.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

-Plug and turn on the power supply before cussing at your machine because it won't turn on.

-When you,re trying really hard to remember to plug and turn on the PSU, don't forget to put in the RAM. <--I'm that dumb

-I/O shield folks! This should go in before the Mobo.

-4 or 8 pin CPU power has to be routed before putting the mobo in, or it is easier to do so before

-DOn't spill soup on a case that has mesh on top. <--- Yup, I was lucky on that one!

-Trouble with cooling and want to know if it's airflow or on the heatsink side? Run superpi with side open, stick a house fan in there, does wonders!

-Again airflow around the CPU cooler, I find that 2 120's on some cases is enough while some juste need 1 outtake 120. (Dropped 10-15 degrees under superpi)

-pcpartpicker.com is your friend, try to get all your parts from only 2 or 3 retailers to save on shipping, some retailers have only a few bucks difference and are gonna save you shipping

If you have a raid set up (even if set up storage drive) and It doesn't want to boot, It mightt be because you cleared cmos and changed the setting from raid to ahci. Well that is what happens to me on my msi MOBO

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

Do not plug USB drives into the LAN port on a Laptop. They will not work.

Sounds stupid, but I STILL pull this to this day on my friends laptop, because the ports are right beside each other. He laughs at me each time. It's not funny.

It kind of is funny :3

Never close the side panel of a new build, always see if it is working first then close the side panels :) :P

Ahhaaaa or you could just to a test bench before you put it into the case like I did :ph34r:

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

It kind of is funny :3

Ahhaaaa or you could just to a test bench before you put it into the case like I did :ph34r:

Or, if you haven't tossed it, your motherboard box makes the world's most convenient test bench :D

Don't put on the side panels before you make sure the motherboard boots properly!

Can be very annoying.

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

Trying not to say things that are already said (like not putting the side panel on when you're done, its not a myth its common sense)

1# Installl order (some things may be switched around)
Power supply, then motherboard, then cpu, then cpu cooler, then ram, , then hard drive, then graphics card.
2# Take your time.
3# If you plan to overclock or use a high power cpu get a good quality board with heatsinked 8+2 power phases (heatsinks alone don't mean an 8+2vrm).
4# Dont forget the cpu cooler fan header (every other time in the early days)
5 part a Dont cheap out on a case, (under £50 GBP-exceptions below*), stick to well known brands, if you're unsure, ask.

5 part b; You dont always have to buy a more expensive case from corsair, antec etc (though it is a safer bet), if you're carefull and read reviews you can find unknown bargains (7870Tahiti LE, sharkoon t9*, nzxt source 210*).
5 part c; Easy way to spot a good case. (A good case will be made of thicker quality material and wont just strip threads)
1# Does it have a bottom mounted power supply?-not always the case but if its top mounted AND cheap-rubbish.
2# Does it have a black interior?-if they're willing to do this its a good start.- still a poor case
3# Does it have cable routing holes and a cpu cutout?- if they're willing to do this thats good too.- low case
4# Is there enough room behind the motherboard tray to actually route any cables?-you want an inch or more.- a good case
5# Are those cable routing holes use rubber grommets?-makes a build look tidy, most often on £100+ cases.
6# Better designed-attention to detail, you're unlikely to spot things untill you're building in it or unless Tiny Tom Logan talks about it in a review.
if it has all of the above then you have a good case.

6# Bright LED fans unless they're expensive are probably cheap and while sometimes it doesn't always matter... do not go thinking they're going to be amazing just because they look good.
7# Just because loads of people are fanatic about something doesn't mean its good, PERSONALLY I think noctuas are overhyped (still good) and gentle typhoons are all a placebo, GET evidence from MULTIPLE reviews even if it means doing it yourself. It's your cash/pc on the line.

8# Watch linus's future proofing guide, infact watch everything linus has made or done a guide on, seriously.....
9# Never assume anything, Don't assume that because its doa its a terrible product (not always) sometimes things just don't work, Shop around ALLOT and factor in postage and read reviews!
10# If you can get USB3 do it! it will become a standard, other things to a lesser extent are likely to become standard aswell so it can be beneficial to spend and extra 3$ on a motherboard/graphics card to get it, again if you're unsure ask!
Don't buy from apple (do i need to say this? the only people that wont like this will have an apple product of some sort and will have paid double the price because its white and partially made of die cast...)
11# Don't always assume newer is better (pentium 4.....bulldozer)
12# Low end AIO coolers aren't much better than a decent heatsink that are cheaper.

13# DON'T SPREAD THERMAL PASTE, its meant to be the thinnest micron sized film, thermal paste isn't as good at conducting as heatsink-to-metal contact so only use a blot in the center of the cpu and make sure the heatsink is making good pressure and give it a tiny wiggle without it pulling away from the cpu if you can. (this is something I'm very ocd about) doing it properly isn't hard, doing it really well is an art.
14# DON'T NOT USE THERMAL PASTE, Just because I said less is more doesn't mean none.
15# Learn to cable manage, sit back and think ALLOT before doing something, where its going to go, how, what will the effects be?
16# Plan your build as much as you can before buying parts.
17# Bronze efficiency power supply is minimal silver is allot better, gold is a little better and the improvements (in efficiency) shrink from there on but bronze if you're on a budget gold and upwards if your not.
18# Part 1-"I dont care how loud it is", You will eventually so why not make it as quiet as you affordably can now.
Part 2a- having quiet fans is 1 good but having less fans is quieter.
Part 2b-if you have fans blowing through an area that doesnt need anything cooled (empty hard drive cage) unplug it for now..unless its LED
Air moving in and out the case is important but the airspeed is going to be generally slow, So don't go filling it with fans at the front and exhausts at the back/top just because you can.
19# Clean your pc-just do it-especially if you have lots of fans drawing in air
20# Clean your pc-especially if you dont have any fans moving air.
21# Positive air pressure vs negative air pressure-if your drawing unfiltered air in, it will bring dust in, simple.
22# The faster your fans are, the more restricted they will by by filters and grills-slow and steady.
23# cases with top mounting for fans-spill a cup of tea on it and you'll regret it, even if you dont dust will end up going inside the case through the grills and land on your graphics card.

24# Don't build your pc on an anti static bag, it's electrically conductive.
25# Double check your stand off mounts, in the wrong place they can short your board out.
26# Notice things like ddr3 1600 is the same price as ddr1333 and the cost per gigabyte goes down as you get bigger hard drives (generally)

Can't think of anything else I've learnt... :D
Oh and read advice given to you, How much of this did you skip?

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

Seem pretty self explanatory but I guess some people do that!

Don't put on the side panels before you make sure the motherboard boots properly!

Can be very annoying.

Just a myth. I took a chance on the wild side for my first build and did exactly that and it booted fine.

Just a myth. I took a chance on the wild side for my first build and did exactly that and it booted fine.

Haha, I'm not saying I believe in the myth.

I just mean its annoying if something won't work and you have to take off the panels and unhook fans (if you have them)

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

Or, if you haven't tossed it, your motherboard box makes the world's most convenient test bench :D

INDEED :)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I think any cardboard box will do. Right?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Don't forget to ground yourself before touching your componants.

|| Case: Corsairt 600T || Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 || CPU: AMD FX8350 || CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 || SSD: Samsung 250GB 840 Pro/OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 || Graphics: Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X || RAM: 8GB DDR3 || PSU: Cooler Master 850W 80 Plus ||