'Mario Kart 8' fails to stem growing Nintendo losses

Brapson

The WiiU hardware isn't archaic its perfectly capable hardware for the style of games Nintendo creates, the style of exclusive WiiU software, and the style of most indie games on the WiiU. It is capable of pushing out 1080p graphics because of the graphical style of the games, when we look at the Xbox One and PS4 they are struggling to push out 1080p visuals because of the graphical style predominant on those consoles (particularly the Xbox One). This generation of consoles as a whole is underpowered as it's clear that as the Xbox One and PS4 are so similar to PC's (meaning there is less of a learning curve to utilize the consoles power) that the consoles are already maxed out, we aren't going to see the graphics improve like we did with original Xbox 360 games compared to GTA V on this generation, they're not going to last as long. As for the last part of your post, the more popular WiiU option is the black premium console and doesn't come with Wii Motion controllers, the games don't even tend to focus on the WiiMotes anymore. (Should point out that personally I hate the WiiMote's, worse controller Nintendo has ever made.)

I understand that from your point of view it seems like a win win situation for you to be able to play Nintendo games on the PS4 or PC but it doesn't benefit three groups of people. 1) People who only play Nintendo games (young families for example) who have to pay more for the PS4/Xbox One as the console is of higher price 2) People who have already bought a WiiU, if you have invested in a console you expect it to be supported for a reasonable length of time. If Nintendo drops the WiiU now and becomes a software developer, they have to stop the production of WiiU's and the creation of WiiU games. No one is going to make games for a console that is no longer manufactured (well maybe a few indies) What this creates is a lack of confidence in a company, a prime example of this is SEGA who kept changing the direction of their future by releasing new consoles here there and everywhere destroying consumer confidence. 3) Nintendo as the moment they become a software developer for other platforms they have to compete with other software developers now that might seem easy for a company such as Nintendo but let's think about the purchasing trends of people who buy consoles but aren't necessarily "gamers". The people who buy consoles only for shooters and for sports games. Nintendo doesn't appeal to the majority of that market and it's arguably the largest markets on the platforms. I'm not saying there aren't games on these platforms have a similar feel to Nintendo style games like Little Big Planet which does really well but I don't think that game would do as well if it wasn't a first party game because it wouldn't have the marketing potential. As for mobile games, they wouldn't just lose some creativity... They'd lose it all. Did you know an investor in Nintendo tried to persuade the board to make a mobile Mario game were the players pay to make Mario jump higher?

Yeah I was just speaking in ideals

I don't expect or want Nintendo to drop the Wii U suddenly and I understand the PS4, Xbone and PC are more expensive

I was talking maybe of future endeavors, perhaps in the next generation as consoles become less popular (if they do) or become cheaper they could instead of releasing their own hardware become a multi platform dev

Obviously depends how things go for Nintendo in the long run

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't expect or want Nintendo to drop the Wii U suddenly and I understand the PS4, Xbone and PC are more expensive

I was talking maybe of future endeavors, perhaps in the next generation as consoles become less popular (if they do) or become cheaper they could instead of releasing their own hardware become a multi platform dev

It's actually interesting that you bring up the future of consoles, I personally believe that if this generation of consoles goes on excessively like Microsoft is hoping it will (there was speak of this gen lasting 10 years which I really hope doesn't happen as all three of the consoles are anaemic) that Nintendo will be the only company to bring out a proper console next generation. Playstation (I'm talking as if Sony has separated itself from Playstation which is likely because of potential bankruptcy) may release a PS5 but I see that as more of a streaming solution with a small console box as a receiver not a traditional console, as for Xbox I don't really see Microsoft having an interest in the console market as much especially with the new CEO.

Personally I hope that WiiU sales do pick up (which has been happening, WiiU sales are up much higher than this time last year and after E3 interest in the console rose 3% or something like that compared to the Xbox and PS4 were interest only rose 1%) but even if they don't due to the amount of capital Nintendo is sitting on they could go through at least 3 more failed consoles before going anywhere near bankruptcy.

If Nintendo wants my money for their consoles, then they need to make boxes with some real power and utility behind them. I expect to not need anything for my living room except a TV, a console, and Verison or Comcast TV.

I love their games, BUT...

I hate the hardware and the cost of it. No amount of arguing Nintendo's case based on their "graphical style" or "target audience" is going to change that, especially after they tried to appeal to core gamers before the WiiU launched.

And the only way they'll sell me those games is if they can convince me (or drug me enough) to buy the box. I've been fine without them since the WiiU came out (and thank god I wasn't the one in the family who payed for the Wii. I'd shoot myself down on the spot xD).

It's like owning an old PC. Love the games, hate the hardware.

Git Gud.

If Nintendo wants my money for their consoles, then they need to make boxes with some real power and utility behind them. I expect to not need anything for my living room except a TV, a console, and Verison or Comcast TV.

I love their games, BUT...

I hate the hardware and the cost of it. No amount of arguing Nintendo's case based on their "graphical style" or "target audience" is going to change that, especially after they tried to appeal to core gamers before the WiiU launched.

And the only way they'll sell me those games is if they can convince me (or drug me enough) to buy the box. I've been fine without them since the WiiU came out (and thank god I wasn't the one in the family who payed for the Wii. I'd shoot myself down on the spot xD).

It's like owning an old PC. Love the games, hate the hardware.

I think most Wii owners will admit that it is a console that you play once or twice and then let gather dust, which is a shame because there were some good games on the console. Nintendo tried to appeal to core gamers but third party developers dropped WiiU support very early on which led to core gamers not buying the console, I think this scared Nintendo a little thus they stopped there focus on core gamers (a mistake, like the name choice of the console) It's a deadly cycle third party developers don't develop games for the console because of low console sales, lack of third party support leads to low console sales. Nintendo's first party games boost console sales and hopefully with enough install base that will entice third parties to develop some games for the console. As for the relation to power, Nintendo historically has never had the most powerful hardware except in the case of the SNES. There was usually always a more powerful console that was less popular, the reason for that being Nintendo had the support of third parties as it was the biggest gaming company at the time. It all began to unravel around the N64 because Nintendo (again stupid mistake on there part) stuck with cartridges which made it more of a hassle for developers, then with the GameCube used those small disks which put restrictions on sound files and things like that because of low space. Nintendo lost the faith of third party developers and they're still trying to recover from the mistakes of there past. I guess my argument is that yes, the WiiU isn't a powerful piece of hardware but it really doesn't need to be to be a good piece of hardware (for me at least and to many others) as it has a unique flare to it and is capable of pushing out pretty visuals. I just wish they'd stop making the mistakes, the naming choice was a disaster I'm pretty sure a lot of people still think the WiiU is a tablet controller for the Wii... They should have developed an entirely new name and seperated themselves from the Wii brand which has a bad taste in the mouth for core gamers. They should have market the console better and they should have had more first party games at launch. MarioKart should have been a launch title for the WiiU, along with the revival of one of the many franchises they haven't touched in a while such as Metroid.

I think most Wii owners will admit that it is a console that you play once or twice and then let gather dust, which is a shame because there were some good games on the console. Nintendo tried to appeal to core gamers but third party developers dropped WiiU support very early on which led to core gamers not buying the console, I think this scared Nintendo a little thus they stopped there focus on core gamers (a mistake, like the name choice of the console) It's a deadly cycle third party developers don't develop games for the console because of low console sales, lack of third party support leads to low console sales. Nintendo's first party games boost console sales and hopefully with enough install base that will entice third parties to develop some games for the console. As for the relation to power, Nintendo historically has never had the most powerful hardware except in the case of the SNES. There was usually always a more powerful console that was less popular, the reason for that being Nintendo had the support of third parties as it was the biggest gaming company at the time. It all began to unravel around the N64 because Nintendo (again stupid mistake on there part) stuck with cartridges which made it more of a hassle for developers, then with the GameCube used those small disks which put restrictions on sound files and things like that because of low space. Nintendo lost the faith of third party developers and they're still trying to recover from the mistakes of there past. I guess my argument is that yes, the WiiU isn't a powerful piece of hardware but it really doesn't need to be to be a good piece of hardware (for me at least and to many others) as it has a unique flare to it and is capable of pushing out pretty visuals. I just wish they'd stop making the mistakes, the naming choice was a disaster I'm pretty sure a lot of people still think the WiiU is a tablet controller for the Wii... They should have developed an entirely new name and seperated themselves from the Wii brand which has a bad taste in the mouth for core gamers. They should have market the console better and they should have had more first party games at launch. MarioKart should have been a launch title for the WiiU, along with the revival of one of the many franchises they haven't touched in a while such as Metroid.

I will say this, if they release Refurbished WiiU units on their store like they did with the 3DS XL (totally functional, way cheaper), plus add some more exclusives (a Metroid and a Zelda to the current list), I would be tempted to buy.

Git Gud.

I will say this, if they release Refurbished WiiU units on their store like they did with the 3DS XL (totally functional, way cheaper), plus add some more exclusives (a Metroid and a Zelda to the current list), I would be tempted to buy.

Nintendo announced a new Zelda at E3 this year, expected to be released some time in 2015. It looks beautiful. No news on a new Metroid game yet though... They'll probably announce it via a Nintendo Direct in the coming months. Splatoon looks like an awesome new Nintendo franchise, it's nice to see them creating a new brand. Yoshi's Wooly World while very cutesy seems like a fun and interesting game. Mario Maker looks like a blast though I hope they put a lot of effort into it and do online sharing correctly... I myself are lucky as they are selling WiiU's for £99.99 (basic model) at my local game store.

Nintendo announced a new Zelda at E3 this year, expected to be released some time in 2015. It looks beautiful. No news on a new Metroid game yet though... They'll probably announce it via a Nintendo Direct in the coming months. Splatoon looks like an awesome new Nintendo franchise, it's nice to see them creating a new brand. Yoshi's Wooly World while very cutesy seems like a fun and interesting game. Mario Maker looks like a blast though I hope they put a lot of effort into it and do online sharing correctly... I myself are lucky as they are selling WiiU's for £99.99 (basic model) at my local game store.

Yeah a Metroid (made by Retro Studios and not those retards who made Other M) would seal the deal if they had a cheap unit. Right now a refurbished WiiU is $200. Too steep imo. My 3DS XL cost $135. I'm willing to pay for a handheld because the convenience and portability are worth it to me. The WiiU would just sit in my room, maybe get a few plays.

Hell, I'd be playing my PS3 more than a WiiU if I had one. Persona 5 problems.

I guess I'll do what I plan on doing with the Vita. Wait until the end of the system's lifetime, get it and all the games for DIRT CHEAP and have some fun.

Git Gud.

Yeah a Metroid (made by Retro Studios and not those retards who made Other M) would seal the deal if they had a cheap unit. Right now a refurbished WiiU is $200. Too steep imo. My 3DS XL cost $135. I'm willing to pay for a handheld because the convenience and portability are worth it to me. The WiiU would just sit in my room, maybe get a few plays.

Hell, I'd be playing my PS3 more than a WiiU if I had one. Persona 5 problems.

I guess I'll do what I plan on doing with the Vita. Wait until the end of the system's lifetime, get it and all the games for DIRT CHEAP and have some fun.

Good plan I suppose! Though remember... The WiiU is the only console... That is also a portable handheld!

2508235-1382501558-large.jpg

Good plan I suppose! Though remember... The WiiU is the only console... That is also a portable handheld!

I guess my posts sounded like a lot of Nintendo hate. That's not really true. I've loved every Nintendo handheld since the GBA. In that market they've got it just right. Really impressed with my 3DS XL.

Git Gud.

I guess my posts sounded like a lot of Nintendo hate. That's not really true. I've loved every Nintendo handheld since the GBA. In that market they've got it just right. Really impressed with my 3DS XL.

Oh no, it didn't sound like Nintendo hate. It sounded like someone who was just a bit frustrated with the mistakes Nintendo made regarding the WiiU. It's a really good console and deserves more sales. I understand your point about the cost and hopefully if sales don't pick up this holiday season (which I hope they will) they will probably drop the tablet controller and release WiiU without it at a lower cost. The controller itself costs like $100 to make. They could easily lower the cost of the console to $250 and even start making some profit on it again. As for the 3DS XL, I love it too! I hope they release something similar to the gameboy player for it, that'd be cool!

Oh no, it didn't sound like Nintendo hate. It sounded like someone who was just a bit frustrated with the mistakes Nintendo made regarding the WiiU. It's a really good console and deserves more sales. I understand your point about the cost and hopefully if sales don't pick up this holiday season (which I hope they will) they will probably drop the tablet controller and release WiiU without it at a lower cost. The controller itself costs like $100 to make. They could easily lower the cost of the console to $250 and even start making some profit on it again. As for the 3DS XL, I love it too! I hope they release something similar to the gameboy player for it, that'd be cool!

I would like it if the 3DS could somehow work as a WiiU controller, or as a streaming device for the WiiU. Honestly the screen on the 3DS is so big and the jaggies are so jaggy that I don't think I would want to see a 3DS game on a screen that big lol

Git Gud.

My counter to the "Nintendo should leave the console buisness and become just a dev" thing is pretty simple. Nintendo shouldn't because they are the only guys actually making console games anymore. Everyone else is doing watered down PC games for anaemic PCs that you sit under your TVs. Nintendo is making console games. Console games that you sit down and play with three other people on a couch. Their games aren't about being gritty and realistic, their games are about being cartoon-like and fun with some friends on a couch.

So perhaps instead of saying "I only want to buy one console, Nintendo should make their games on ___ instead" we should point the finger at the other guys. Why don't Sony and Microsoft up their game in this space? Why don't we wish for some miracle to happen and for someone like Valve to crush them and take that part of the "under TV gaming" market. Then next to that box we buy the cheaper Nintendo box just for the few Nintendo party games you play with lots of controllers and a split screen. Have a two system market again, Nintendo and the everything else box. Because frankly while I do want to play Halo and Uncharted I don't want to buy both of their boxes. I have a Wii U and PC, why don't Sony and MS dudes make their games for PC instead? :P 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

My counter to the "Nintendo should leave the console buisness and become just a dev" thing is pretty simple. Nintendo shouldn't because they are the only guys actually making console games anymore. Everyone else is doing watered down PC games for anaemic PCs that you sit under your TVs. Nintendo is making console games. Console games that you sit down and play with three other people on a couch. Their games aren't about being gritty and realistic, their games are about being cartoon-like and fun with some friends on a couch.

So perhaps instead of saying "I only want to buy one console, Nintendo should make their games on ___ instead" we should point the finger at the other guys. Why don't Sony and Microsoft up their game in this space? Why don't we wish for some miracle to happen and for someone like Valve to crush them and take that part of the "under TV gaming" market. Then next to that box we buy the cheaper Nintendo box just for the few Nintendo party games you play with lots of controllers and a split screen. Have a two system market again, Nintendo and the everything else box. Because frankly while I do want to play Halo and Uncharted I don't want to buy both of their boxes. I have a Wii U and PC, why don't Sony and MS dudes make their games for PC instead? :P

That's a really interesting line of thought, I really wish Valve had done that but the SteamMachine's are a bit of a missed opportunity in my opinion, if they really wanted to target that "under the tv space" market they should have had one machine. By having 13 it takes away the simplicity and makes it harder for the average consumer with no tech know how to buy the product.

What's this plane? I don't think you have that much leg room even in first class!