Disaster Proofing Routine

After numerous clean installs, and boot drive failures, I've started taking some precautions to avoid losing important files and performing clean installs of the OS. Here's what I do:

• Sync my personal files using FreeFileSync.
  • Create restore points periodically (once a week using Task Scheduler) and prior to installations. 
  • Clone my boot drive using Macrium Reflect once a week.

I suppose you can add another step, which is uploading all that to a cloud storage but, that's a lot gigs right there. So, I'm curious as to what steps some of you take to avoid losing data?

I'd like to think that these steps make my system (almost) foolproof, unless my computer dies, along with my backup drive, and the servers that hold my data fry as well, but at that point I'd worry more about who's trying to kill me.

Thou shall not abuse thy monkey, thou shall not misuse thy monkey.

I have a backup setup to my FreeNAS server in my home over a CIFS share using AOMEI backupper's scheduled full system backup option using the incremental setting. 

There are better options, such as Bacula-sd, Syncthing, crashplan, and owncloud, but I haven't bothered to figure out or set up those options yet. One day... maybe. If this solution ever fails me perhaps. 

Aside from that, I don't mind. As long as I don't have to redownload all my games (literally 1.2TB of stuff, all legit, my steam library is huge and I prefer to have all of them at my finger tips), I don't mind reinstalling and installing the programs as I need them. 

If my backup solution works, and it always has so far, it's as simple as installing the base OS, then pulling all my files from the server to their designated locations. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Backup all files to a raid 10 server, which in turn backs up to cloud

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

To avoid unneeded reconfig on most programs, save config files from AppData also.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have a backup setup to my FreeNAS server in my home over a CIFS share using AOMEI backupper's scheduled full system backup option using the incremental setting. 

There are better options, such as Bacula-sd, Syncthing, crashplan, and owncloud, but I haven't bothered to figure out or set up those options yet. One day... maybe. If this solution ever fails me perhaps. 

Aside from that, I don't mind. As long as I don't have to redownload all my games (literally 1.2TB of stuff, all legit, my steam library is huge and I prefer to have all of them at my finger tips), I don't mind reinstalling and installing the programs as I need them. 

If my backup solution works, and it always has so far, it's as simple as installing the base OS, then pulling all my files from the server to their designated locations. 

That's a nice setup, but too beefy for me. I took a glance over AOMEI and I think I should give it a try. I hate re-installing everything really (games and otherwise) from fetching them (my connection isn't that fast) to the required restart after some installations.

To avoid unneeded reconfig on most programs, save config files from AppData also.

The boot drive cloning takes care of that.  ;)

Thou shall not abuse thy monkey, thou shall not misuse thy monkey.