Upgrade or new system?

Estacado

Hey everyone,

I am Passos and I am new to the forum. I signed up because I could use some advice for my upcoming plans with my system.

My current pc was built in 2011 and is used mainly for gaming and media. However I plan to do some basic video editing (might do some more intense stuff in the future) and I 'd like to maintain 1080p high to ultra quality details gaming.

The system is still quite decent for my needs, but I think there is plenty of room for upgrades. However, I have saved  a decent sum of money and could spent 1200 € on a new system.

Should I simply upgrade a few parts or is it worth buying a new system, since it's 3 years old now?  Would I see a difference in performance siginificant enough that would justifiy a new and expensive build?

Any help is appreciated.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte PH67-UD3-B3
CPU: Intel i5-2500K
Ram: Kingston 8gb 1333 Mhz

GPU: Powercolor HD 6950 2gb

Storage: 1 TB WD Black

PSU: Be Quiet 550w 80+

Which case do you have?

And I would only upgrade the GPU, the rest is fine.

I would upgrade the GPU to a GTX780 or R9 290. And get an SSD with 250GB.

Done. Then you are good for another 3 years.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

The 2500k is quite good especially if you OC it. An OC to 3.6-3.8 should'nt be hard and doable on a simple Cooler Master 212 EVO. The 2 things I might suggest are to get some G.SKILL DDR3-1866 CL9 RAM sticks that will last you until DDR4 becomes readily available. The second thing I would/could suggest is a slight graphics card upgrade to a 270X/280X/290. For all of these graphics cards I would getting Sapphire.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Upgrade the GPU, add an SSD, maybe add a stick of ram. Wait a couple years to upgrade your CPU unless you are going to be doing a lot of editing/rendering and you need something faster, in which case get a 4790k and z97 motherboard.

Also buy an aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This is a tricky one, you already have a decent system. 

I would get a new graphics card first. If you are really in a need for a new CPU then I'd go for the 4790k and a Z97 motherboard.

Also, welcome to the community.

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

New GPU, SSD and RAM sounds reasonable. I have the Coolermaster Elite 334 (it's ok for that price range).

I like the 280x. But I always read that Nvidia is better for productivity. How relevant is that for the 250 € price range?

Nevertheless, would somebody mind suggesting me a new system for 1200€. It's been a while since I built a pc and I am overwhelmed by the amount of choices you have.

I might go for an upgrade, but if I decide otherwise, I want to know what to look for.

Thanks for the fast repsonses. That's amazing.

You don't need a new system, the 2500k is still very good, a new GPU would be enough

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Nevertheless, would somebody mind suggesting me a new system for 1200€. It's been a while since I built a pc and I am overwhelmed by the amount of choices you have.

I might go for an upgrade, but if I decide otherwise, I want to know what to look for.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€307.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (€139.90 @ Hardwareversand)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€108.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€50.39 @ Pixmania DE)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card  (€338.41 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (€37.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€92.58 @ Hardwareversand)

Other: ASUS H97M-PLUS, Mainboard (€84.90)

Total: €1158.98

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 18:06 CEST+0200

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€307.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (€139.90 @ Hardwareversand)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€108.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€50.39 @ Pixmania DE)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card  (€338.41 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (€37.80 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: XFX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€92.58 @ Hardwareversand)

Other: ASUS H97M-PLUS, Mainboard (€84.90)

Total: €1158.98

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-28 18:06 CEST+0200

Where's the motherboard? Why non-K cpu? That psu is overkill for this build

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Where's the motherboard? Why non-K cpu? That psu is overkill for this build

The motherboard is at the bottom under Other. It's an H97M-Plus.

Why not a locked processor? Did the OP ask for an overclockable system? Overclocking is fun and can get a little extra out of a system. On the other hand the added cost can often be used to improve the overall system. For example, in this build a locked i7 instead of an unlocked i5 makes for a much more powerful build. And, in the case of this build will allow the user to get more heavily into video editing without the need to upgrade the system.

The motherboard is at the bottom under Other. It's an H97M-Plus.

Why not a locked processor? Did the OP ask for an overclockable system? Overclocking is fun and can get a little extra out of a system. On the other hand the added cost can often be used to improve the overall system. For example, in this build a locked i7 instead of an unlocked i5 makes for a much more powerful build. And, in the case of this build will allow the user to get more heavily into video editing without the need to upgrade the system.

I see.. In that case it's very nice, especially for the price

Edit: PSU still overkill though :P

Going for a locked i7 doesn't sound too bad, actually. I dont overclock usually. Not a bad idea.

I would get a smaller psu though. I dont think I'll ever need that much power. :D

I think my question has been anwered. Thanks everyone.

Going for a locked i7 doesn't sound too bad, actually. I dont overclock usually. Not a bad idea.

I would get a smaller psu though. I dont think I'll ever need that much power. :D

If you are looking at locked i7s, maybe take a look at XEONs too. They can be cheaper and have similar performance.Actually in Germany it makes about a 50€ price difference between a 4770/4790 and a 1230/1231v3 and the i7s are clocked only a little bit higher.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Two reasons for the 750W psu. XFX recommends it for the R9 290 and it was the best psu I could see at that price point. 650W should be more than enough if you can find a good quality psu at a better price. (RM-650 is not a better psu.) Also the motherboard supports Crossfire and while it would be tight, the psu could handle a second gpu should that ever be desired.