"My fiancée" (R3-i5-GTX560) Warning! A lot of pictures!

DJ46

DEM PICTURES!!!

Sorry, had to do it after making you guys wait for 2 days.

So, I got a bit too pumped up and forgot to take some first pictures (or it's to throw you right in the action).

- board is ready to be pulled out (after of course removing screws)

[LOTS OF PICS]

Hope you enjoyed it. It's not finished yet, I still have to put LED strips in and switch the panel to a windowed one.

P.S.: I wrote this now because I bought some games in the recent Steam Greenlight sale and I told myself that I can play them only if this is done.

You've turned this into a whole new system :D Seeing what it looked like before all the upgrades. Excellent work on this, the build looks brilliant  :lol:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

hey man. I have a cx500m too. i need to buy a extension for my 24pin. Is it safe to use an extension? i mean it wont damage the motherbard or anything right? thought of buying from ebay.

hey man. I have a cx500m too. i need to buy a extension for my 24pin. Is it safe to use an extension? i mean it wont damage the motherbard or anything right? thought of buying from ebay.

The extension won't hurt anything.  ^_^ They're quite safe. All it is, is literally a longer cable. Even a bad one wouldn't fry anything.  ;)

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

The extension won't hurt anything.  ^_^ They're quite safe. All it is, is literally a longer cable. Even a bad one wouldn't fry anything.  ;)

ah alright man. :) just wanted to clear things out before buying. thanks!

Looks really nice and clean and yes, matte black pcb with all black components looks really good :).

You've turned this into a whole new system :D Seeing what it looked like before all the upgrades. Excellent work on this, the build looks brilliant  :lol:

Thanks man! After I am done with what I surrently have in house for this rig I will post a picture looking through the sidepnale window right under the first picture of this build log.

Can't wait to look how different it is.

thought of buying from ebay.

If you only need an extension, go ahead, buy it wherever. But I bought mine because the 24pin is the only cable on this PSU with coloured wires.

Looks really nice and clean and yes, matte black pcb with all black components looks really good :).

Thanks man. Wait for the blue LED strips.

It's kinda weird. You have something in your mind for a bout half a year. You look at your computer and you want to see what's in your imagination. And now, I am only a step away from seeing what I saw in my mind for the last few months. 

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

I like it when people take lots of pictures.

Yo dawg, I heard you like when people post lots of pictures. So I put up pictures and pictures on the page 4.

:D

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that it's been so long since I last worked on my rig. Yeah, sure, the problems with Windows 8 stopped me for a little bit, but I fixed everything in less than 4 days since even noticing the issue.

What's been holding me back the most is school. After primary school for 9 years (since I was 6 years old) I went to high school for the next 4 years (that's how the education system works in Slovakia). So, I'm going to a new school already, many new people, new teachers and a different style of learning. It is kind of hardcore.

So, even though everything I need to do is decide how to mount my LED strips, mount them and put on the new windowed sidepanel, I haven't done it yet. I will hopefully get on it this weekend.

A big update!

A huge update!!

A TREMENDOUS UPDATE!!!

It's done!

My rig is finally done! You don't believe me? OK, pictures coming in:

- is this an invention? It sure would be if Jobs thought of it!

se73.jpg

I used it to pick if I want my LED strips mounted horizontaly or *the other way* (can't think of the word) /EDIT: Verticaly. That's it.

- 2 shots from the side. It looks so much better IRL! I will try to use my other camera, but no promises:

jb6v.jpg

wkpe.jpg

The dots are not the LEDs! It's a reflection, I didn't think about that happening but it looks amazing in my opinion anyhow!

- and finally, the image stuck in my mind for at least a year is now real!

ogp8.jpg

Thanks for your support on my journey! You guys made this boring component changing a ton of fun.

A picture to remind you of the horrible past:

img857b.jpg

*make sure to compare it to the picture above and on previos pages!

Noone replied = not enough pictures I guess.

So here you go, some in the dark shots! (inside still looks crappy with my phone's camera)

tkv0.jpg

mnh8.jpg

zuti.jpg

n7yd.jpg

ephh.jpg

There. I sure hope this filled up your needs.

I feel bad for you if you leave that on during the night, or do you have the nzxt led strips?

I have lamps turned on so my screen doesn't destroy my eyes at night. So with lamps, it just lights up the other part of my room. My sitting place is on the right of the chassis.

I'm using IceModz strips.

Can you show some pictures of the inside?

The LED strips are mounted on the sidepanel itself. So the inside is no different then the pictures a page back.

Took a few pictures of my rig with my Casio camera (EX-Z9):

wbcz.jpg

kcrq.jpg

jb74.jpg

This one is kind of big, so I will just give you a link so all of you smartphone users will not have to wait for 7 hours for this page to load:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/33/w00.JPG

*The quality of these pictures was downgraded by the camera and my skills.

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow young builder. I had my grandma buy a bunch of parts since she needs a new one too, and build my 4th PC at 14. I'll be 15 in less than a month. She was on a roughly $500 USD budget, and I low-balled and got it down to around $450 USD. Here's the build log.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59773-build-red-rocket/

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wow the wiring looks much better in the new case

Corsair 350d, Asus Gryphon Z87, Intel i5 4670k 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengence 16gb 1600 MHz,

AMD Radeon 260x, Corsair CX600, OCZ Vetex 450 128gb, Seagate 2 TB 

if you install windows 8 and then reinstall it as a upgrade it works i did it with my windows 7 upgrade disk.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

nice! looks awesome

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

and that's why you should never, ever, buy a stock pc :P

that's a real upgrade! you deserve it after that horrible stock pc

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

• 7 months later...

Well, following the well known rule "A main rig is never done.", I got a new fan. I originally planned to replace all of my fans with Noiseblocker's cheapest product line, which would still cost me 40€.

Then I realized I still do really like my Fractal fans and they undervolt well, so I decided to put the 2 original ones in the front and get a new fan for the back. I wanted to get the same fan, but they're no longer available. So I, still searching for a Fractal fan, needed to know if their R2 line undervolts as well as the original. big thanks to The_Strict_Nein for answering my question.

I picked the fan up today and started the change. Since I was moving pretty much all the fans, I decided to clean them too. Damn, a lot of dust has gotten into my PC in the time it's been running. A bit late, but still counts as spring cleaning right?

But, here come the pics (also my typical little coments next to them):

- here's the box:

post-489-0-69947200-1400256621_thumb.jpg

- and here's what I'm going to use:

post-489-0-88805100-1400256626_thumb.jpg

(there's also a low speed adapter and some screws in the package)

At this point, all I had in my head was F*** cable management. When I thought of redoing the whole thing just for some fans, ...

post-489-0-89704100-1400256631_thumb.jpg

Luckily, I didn't make my fan wires unremovable as much as some other cables, so it went kinda fine.

Also, here's how I mounted the fan controller PCB:
post-489-0-47984600-1400256636_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-61451800-1400256641_thumb.jpg

Ghetto, but it works for me. Easy to access, not that hard to route cables to, doesn't need modding and also doesn't destroy the looks.

So let's just agree it's a great way to do this and ignore the fact it's held in place by a twist tie.

So, after I finally got to undervolt my fans with the stock Fractal controller for the R3 case, all I can hear is noises from other components... *sigh*

I'll end this with a quote from that shitty not-a-game not-a-movie Beyond: Two Souls: "It'll never be over."