Windows 7 Partitioning and SSD question

Wiff

I am buying a SSD for my bro, I want to clone the HDD, since the SSD isnt very big I wanted to ask, if I can make the Recovery Partition (~11GB-4,7GB used) 5GB smaller to safe some space?

On Windows 8 the defragmentation tool automatically detects SSDs and gives you the option ''optimize'' instead of defragmentation, does Windows 7 also detect this or not?

Windows 7 does detect it as a SSD and disables defrag for that unit.

Windows 7 does detect it as a SSD and disables defrag for that unit.

ok thanks, does this feature improve the speed? If not, then what is it for?

I'd rather use Defraggler. You can go to settings and uncheck SSD drives. That's how simple it is. And I like this program better because it gives you way more detailed information, and I find that i can defrag it to 0%, whereas the Windows one always stop at 2%.

ok thanks, does this feature improve the speed? If not, then what is it for?

Defragging the SSD is pretty much damaging it. It has no read head so it wears out a lot faster. Also, if your files are all in one block, it will keep reading the files off that one block and it'll die earlier, which means your whole SSD will die. Did I explain it enough?

Defragging the SSD is pretty much damaging it. It has no read head so it wears out a lot faster. Also, if your files are all in one block, it will keep reading the files off that one block and it'll die earlier, which means your whole SSD will die. Did I explain it enough?

i mean optimization, ofc defraging would damage a ssd

I'd rather use Defraggler. You can go to settings and uncheck SSD drives. That's how simple it is. And I like this program better because it gives you way more detailed information, and I find that i can defrag it to 0%, whereas the Windows one always stop at 2%.

windows doesnt stop at 2%, then its a bug on your system

i mean optimization, ofc defraging would damage a ssd

windows doesnt stop at 2%, then its a bug on your system

That's because Windows defrags your restore points instead of Defraggler that can "Stop VSS while defragmenting".

I heard of optimization, but I never seen it do anything.

That's because Windows defrags your restore points instead of Defraggler that can "Stop VSS while defragmenting".

I heard of optimization, but I never seen it do anything.

ok

It's all about TRIM. Old OSs didn't have TRIM command for SSDs but nowadays it is pretty much the standard.

Afaik there is no further optimization in Windows for SSDs.

It's all about TRIM. Old OSs didn't have TRIM command for SSDs but nowadays it is pretty much the standard.

Afaik there is no further optimization in Windows for SSDs.

what does trim

what does trim

You should watch Linus' video about TRIM here:

I want to clone the HDD, since the SSD isnt very big I wanted to ask, if I can make the Recovery Partition (~11GB-4,7GB used) 5GB smaller to safe some space?

Reducing the size of the recovery partition will most likely break it, meaning that the recovery system that came with the PC won't be usable. You would be better off reducing the size of the Windows partition, or deleting the recovery partition if you are sure you won't need to use it.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

You should watch Linus' video about TRIM here:

Reducing the size of the recovery partition will most likely break it, meaning that the recovery system that came with the PC won't be usable. You would be better off reducing the size of the Windows partition, or deleting the recovery partition if you are sure you won't need to use it.

i'll leave it as it is then