Developers getting more money

Tie Lightning

Hey guys, so i'm sure many of you have heard about the reports that came out about how much money game devs make. What bothers me is that the people in marketing take home the most money or the company takes most of the money out of it. So what i'm asking is, Why don't devs that have made AAA games leave the big companies to make their own games? I imagine a scenario where there is a vastly reduced marketing team and the company heads don't take a lot of overhead, the game publicity is handled through social media, and when people buy the games most of the money goes to the guys who actually made the game. What do you guys think? 

And i know most of you will say "That is essentially indie games!", but the people making the games have made blockbuster games and have the skills to make a killer game and not a "dinky side-scroller".(No offense...i love side scrollers)

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

People gets the wrong idea of what a Indie game is.

Indie doesn't mean a couple guys making a 8-bit retro game that goes for $5.

Indie comes from independent, and means the game has no publisher (the overhead you were talking about).

You can have a pretty high end indie game, which is the scenario you pictured, one example of this is Star Citizen.

People gets the wrong idea of what a Indie game is.

Indie doesn't mean a couple guys making a 8-bit retro game that goes for $5.

Indie comes from independent, and means the game has no publisher (the overhead you were talking about).

You can have a pretty high end indie game, which is the scenario you pictured, one example of this is Star Citizen.

Exactly, or like "No Man Sky". But why aren't we seeing more devs doing this? Imagine if even "No Man Sky" had a team of 20 people, they would be able to roll-out a product that would defy expectations.

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Than they make one bad game and go under. It's too risky to do that, so they don't.

Not really, that's what the marketing money grabbers tell them.

Not really, that's what the marketing money grabbers tell them.

Triple A level games do in fact take millions to create without the inclusion of marketing. Just with payroll licensing and distribution. If you don't make that back and then some you are officially bankrupt and will have to close down.

Exactly, or like "No Man Sky". But why aren't we seeing more devs doing this? Imagine if even "No Man Sky" had a team of 20 people, they would be able to roll-out a product that would defy expectations.

you can have an indie game made by 200 developers, it doesn't matter. There are plenty of games similar to AAA titles that are indie games. Like Antoainb said, that is not "essentially indie games", that IS indie games.

I'm pretty sure also that plenty of developers that have worked on AAA titles HAVE ended up at Indie developers after becoming tired of the grind...