Mistress - Custom case

DJ46

Well, in case you guys want to see this... This is the current state of my rig. DON'T look at this if you've just eaten, that's why I put it into a spoiler.

The plan right now is to use the case it's in as a donor case and build a new one out of wood. It will have an interesting layout and hopefully enhance the cooling. I also want to be able to reuse the filter kit I bought for the Elite 130.

We shall see.

But one thing is 100% true: Mistress is changing and it will differ a lot from the original idea.

I just ate and opened this pic. I survived.

I just ate and opened this pic. I survived.

I bring you a new challenge then.

pDXH2xv.jpg

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

The wooden panels have been cut.

I still have to drill holes for both mounting and ventilation, but for that I'll need my pack of Parvum modding cubes to arrive.

When everything fits together, I will varnish the wood.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

Cutting and drilling is nearing completion.

I spent 7 hours since 4 PM today working on this thing. There still isn't much to show, I still have to cut 6 ventilation holes, a hole for the PSU and finalise the position of the front I/O, switches and LEDs.

I have a picture of my tools and the case pieces, in case you didn't believe me that I'm working hard.

1b6eb7R.jpg

I thought I'd tell you about what happened when I was working.

After spending a lot of time kneeling (I used my knee to hold down the plank and my other knee for stability), I stood up. When I stand up too quickly after laying down for a long time, I often have problems with vision and balance for a few seconds. I also hold my breath when stretching my neck.

So, I stood up. I started thinking about what to do next, then I started stretching my neck. I think I held my breath for too long. I fainted, lost balance and fell backward. Luckily there was a wall behind me. I hit it with my back and then my head.

I spent a few seconds in that position. I could feel the high blood pressure in my head, along with the lack of oxygen.

After 10-20 seconds, I was able to stand again. I knew I wanted to do something, but I forgot. It took me at least half a minute to remeber what I was doing.

Don't worry, I'm fine.

Also, my modding cubes still haven't arrived. I sent an email to Parvum, got no response. I sent them a message through Facebook. I got an answer. If I don't receive them in the next few days, they will send a new pack. Apparently it happened before.

• 1 month later...

I know I know, I didn't update with anything for a long time. I wanted to wait until the PC is finished.

But a lot of stuff has happened.

I'm now running flash memory drives only (a 256GB SSD with a 16GB USB for less important files) and I did a lot of work on the case.

I still have to paint it (well, varnish it), glue the fan filter holders on and finish the back panel.

Also, when I used to case to test it, I came to the conclusion that my "weight will hold it in place" PSU mount will not work. I made a mount for it, but I need to finish it.

And, I'm changing the PSU. For a simple reason - the fan is loud as hell and it has warranty, so I will not replace it. I'll rather buy a used high-quality one with big heatsinks, so that if I have to replace the fan, I'll be confident that it gets enough cooling.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I didn't take any while cutting the plywood.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I have not updated this for a looong time!

The wood is varnished (a lot of bubbles, horrible finish overall but I like the colour and it adds to the "my first attempt" feeling of this whole project), the fan filter holders are glued in place and the system is built.

The wood smells horrible, so it'll be outside in fresh air until it can be with my room without giving me a headache.

I replaced one fan, currently running only Noctuas (not counting the PSU fan).

And, since I seem to hate myself, I keep thinking about switching to the Raijintek Metis... (I would have to change my PSU and GPU so it ain't happening)

What material for the case?

Plywood. Not ideal, but easy to work with.

This is mostly a test of what it's like to build my own case. Turns out it's quite hard :D