Uninstalling Windows 8 and Installing Windows 7

insulin shots

Ok so my parents have a pre-built  computer they bought from Walmart or Costco a few years back and it came with Windows 8. I recently bought my Dad a copy of Windows 7 as he hates the Windows 8 U.I among other things. I imagined this would be a very simple process of simply popping in the Windows 7 disk, reformatting the drive, and installing Windows 7. (He does not want or need anything backed up.) I decided to quickly look things up before I started and I found this PCMag article which describes disabling UEFI and enabling legacy boot. Can't I just access my Windows 7 disk once I have it in the optical drive and go from there without dealing with any of this?

PCMag article- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2417361%2c00.asp 

neh just try it you should be able to boot from cd fine and if the install gets fucked up try again 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Ok so my parents have a pre-built  computer they bought from Walmart or Costco a few years back and it came with Windows 8. I recently bought my Dad a copy of Windows 7 as he hates the Windows 8 U.I among other things. I imagined this would be a very simple process of simply popping in the Windows 7 disk, reformatting the drive, and installing Windows 7. (He does not want or need anything backed up.) I decided to quickly look things up before I started and I found this PCMag article which describes disabling UEFI and enabling legacy boot. Can't I just access my Windows 7 disk once I have it in the optical drive and go from there without dealing with any of this?

PCMag article- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2417361%2c00.asp 

just do a clean install ? or buy an ssd and wipe everything for a fresh install :) ?

Also I saw a post on here a while back that discussed removing a Windows code from you computer. I cannot find that article, but would it be worth the effort to try and save this version of Windows 8 for the future and is that even possible if it came with a pre-built? 

StartIsBack basically makes it Win7 again. It's cheaper, too. Was this not an option?

That I recall, you do probably need to disable the UEFI and change the boot order at least. I remember being unable to boot off of a disk because Windows 8 didn't quite allow me to, so installing Windows 7 would be difficult until the changes are made.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.