Pump Needs for Water Loop

Hey Guys,

So my previous experience with water-cooling is kinda limited i have only done basic loops for CPU cooling. I am plotting out a new project that is going to contain 3 radiators, bay reservoir, cpu, memory(it will be oc) and dual 290's no NB or SB blocks as the current mb choice doesnt have compatible blocks that i have found yet, (Going with Sabertooth board as the red on the crosshair 5 formula z 990fx clashes with the color scheme of the build). So my question is i was planning on getting a d5 variable speed pump for this loop but with this amount of equipment in the loop was wondering if i might need to have dual pumps. the radiators will be a 240x45, 560x45 and a 480x80(all in push pull), i know that's far more then what is needed cooling wise for this setup currently but go big or go home plus allows for easy expan of additional cards in the future when 3 way and 4 way is beneficial no additional cooling needs will be required..

So my to recap with the amount of connections/space in this loop would be doing a single d5 variable work or should i go dual pumps, no matter what keeping only a single loop.

**Just in case it helps the loop will go in this order. pump/bay-240 rad-560 rad-gpu-ram-cpu-480rad-pump/bay

Lol, go big or go home, might as well just go with dual pumps!  :P

and for that reason go with a D5 they are the work horse of the custom water cooling world  

Lol, go big or go home, might as well just go with dual pumps!  :P

My next question then becomes is it best to get a bay reservoir that has dual pumps like the XSPC Twin reservoir or can i do a single pump reservoir and add a second pump further in the loop.

and for that reason go with a D5 they are the work horse of the custom water cooling world  

yes the plan is the D5 but is one D5 enough for that long of a loop or would Dual D5's be better?

yes the plan is the D5 but is one D5 enough for that long of a loop or would Dual D5's be better?

Are you going for a silent build?  And what case are you putting this in?  You can get something like the BP or EK dual pump tops and use any res you want.

BP: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11252/ex-pmp-100/Bitspower_G_14_Thread_Dual_D5_Mod_Top_-_POM_Version_BP-2D5TOPP-BK.html

EK: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17756/ex-pmp-226/EK_D5_Dual_CSQ_Pump_Top_-_Acetal_-_Black_Laing_D5_Swiftech_MCP650655655-PWM_EK-D5_Dual_TOP_G14_CSQ_-_Black_Acetal.html

Silent is not going to be a high priority on this build. as i have been stuck with jet engine fans for 4 years now. It will be going in a CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 with a custom paint job, yeah were the pumps are located is not so much the concern for me so doing something like this top and then having it separate from the bay reservoir, the bay reservoir ties into the custom paint job is the only reason im going with it instead.

Silent is not going to be a high priority on this build. as i have been stuck with jet engine fans for 4 years now. It will be going in a CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 with a custom paint job, yeah were the pumps are located is not so much the concern for me so doing something like this top and then having it separate from the bay reservoir, the bay reservoir ties into the custom paint job is the only reason im going with it instead.

Very nice.  I have a build in a Merlin SM8.  If you have low restriction, one pump at a higher speed should be fine, but if cost isn't an issue, why not just go with two?  The two 290s are probably going to be the highest restriction points in your loop, though I'm not really good at calculating the amt of pressure needed.  You could even go as far as doing a dual loop with the bay res and a tube res  :P .  Either way, good luck with it!!