How do I check to see if a website is legit?

VG Docs

I'm trying to make an online account with my bank, but I want to make sure it's legit.

After a quick Google, I was sent here.

I went to "account login", and I realized it asked me for an email and password... which I don't have with my local bank. I only have a checking account, so I just have a routing and account number, at least I think. If I did add an email and address, I don't remember it.

So anyway, after clicking on "account login", I clicked on the "credit card" section to see if I could make an online account using the debit card I have. It redirects me to another site, where I go to click on "enroll now" and now it's asking for my credit card number. I wouldn't think it was illegitimate, but I figured asking would be better. I googled it, and there are a lot of sites of people claiming it's a scam, some not, but I came across that with most online money sites that are legitimate. 

I don't know, it just looks sort of scammy to me, although it's probably not. Can anyone help me verify that?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Make a Paypal account. You can even open a Paypal dispute and get a refund if the e-tailer is a scam.

Make a Paypal account. You can even open a Paypal dispute and get a refund if the e-tailer is a scam.

I have a Paypal account. I'm trying to check info on my bank account, and as far as I'm aware, Paypal doesn't do that.

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I have a Paypal account. I'm trying to check info on my bank account, and as far as I'm aware, Paypal doesn't do that.

Paypal doesn't do what? Allow you to file a dispute? They absolutely allow that, it's one of the main reasons to use Paypal. But as far as finding out if the website is legit and connected to your bank, call your bank and ask them. Also, why in the hell would you go to the Account Log-in of any site before first registering a new account? 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Paypal doesn't do what? Allow you to file a dispute? They absolutely allow that, it's one of the main reasons to use Paypal. But as far as finding out if the website is legit and connected to your bank, call your bank and ask them. Also, why in the hell would you go to the Account Log-in of any site before first registering a new account? 

Why do you guys think I'm trying to dispute anything? I'm trying to find my account info, so I'm trying to sign up online for an account. I want to make sure the site I'm looking up is legit though. Where in the world did I imply that I was scammed?

Also, I already having a checking account, so I figured I'd be able to sign in with my account info that I was given. Keep in mind, I'm new to online banking. Considering it's now asking me to enter my credit card that I have, it looks as if I just need to make an online account in order to view my account info online. Like I said though, I'm wanting to make sure it's legit, which is why I asked here. 

Can't you just call your bank and ask them what their website is if you're that afraid of being on the wrong site?

In any case, the site look real, not sure if it's YOUR bank's website though

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Why do you guys think I'm trying to dispute anything? I'm trying to find my account info, so I'm trying to sign up online for an account. I want to make sure the site I'm looking up is legit though. Where in the world did I imply that I was scammed?

Also, I already having a checking account, so I figured I'd be able to sign in with my account info that I was given. Keep in mind, I'm new to online banking. Considering it's now asking me to enter my credit card that I have, it looks as if I just need to make an online account in order to view my account info online. Like I said though, I'm wanting to make sure it's legit, which is why I asked here. 

We think you're trying to dispute something because that's exactly what you did, you disputed something. You said "as far as you know" Paypal doesn't allow you to file a dispute, that's not true. So I simply supplied you with the correct information.

On to your banking website. NO ONE here can tell you 100% if the site is legit. When you opened your checking account, your bank should have given you a bunch of paper work and flyers, and some where in all of that will be the information on how to register for their online banking. Including the official web address. As with any website, an online banking website is going to require you to register a new account. For the website you linked, that would be the link that says "Enrollment" on the left hand side of the screen. You will be prompted to provide things like your personal info and bank account number to register the account, but after the account is created, you will use your email address and a password to login. No different than millions of other websites. It would be extremely dangerous if your bank required you to enter your bank account number to login each time.

You may be new to online banking, but this is basic Internet 101 stuff.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

Can't you just call your bank and ask them what their website is if you're that afraid of being on the wrong site?

In any case, the site look real, not sure if it's YOUR bank's website though

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/www.bankatfirst.com

I was going to tomorrow if I couldn't get a straight answer on this forum (They're not open or anything this late), which until now I didn't have.

Anyway, thanks... but wouldn't that website be legitimate for  all first financial banks, or no?

We think you're trying to dispute something because that's exactly what you did, you disputed something. You said "as far as you know" Paypal doesn't allow you to file a dispute, that's not true. So I simply supplied you with the correct information.

No, you misread my response. 

"I'm trying to check info on my bank account, and as far as I'm aware, Paypal doesn't do that." The "Paypal doesn't do that" part is referring to the former part of my sentence. I can see where you got confused, though.

He said Paypal doesn't allow you to check info on your bank account.

Just sayin

Edit: Also he has an awesome screen name

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Re-read what he said carefully..

"I have a Paypal account. I'm trying to check info on my bank account, and as far as I'm aware, Paypal doesn't do that."

He doesn't want to file a dispute, never said a word about it, he wants to check his bank account information but doesn't know if he's on the right website.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I was going to tomorrow if I couldn't get a straight answer on this forum (They're not open or anything this late), which until now I didn't have.

Anyway, thanks... but wouldn't that website be legitimate for  all first financial banks, or no?

No, you misread my response. 

"I'm trying to check info on my bank account, and as far as I'm aware, Paypal doesn't do that." The "Paypal doesn't do that" part is referring to the former part of my sentence. I can see where you got confused, though.

Learn proper sentence structure than. The way you worded it, your "and" is referring to the comment about Paypal allowing disputes.

As far as "all first financial banks", that's a no because banks reuse the same name all over the country. "First Financial" is not a corporate bank like Chase or Bank of America. Again, you should have received a bunch of paper work from your bank when you opened your account, that paperwork should include the online banking information.

Learn proper sentence structure than. The way you worded it, your "and" is referring to the comment about Paypal allowing disputes.

As far as "all first financial banks", that's a no because banks reuse the same name all over the country. "First Financial" is not a corporate bank like Chase or Bank of America. Again, you should have received a bunch of paper work from your bank when you opened your account, that paperwork should include the online banking information.

"and" would be a continuance of the former part of the sentence, I don't see how it refers to the original comment about allowing disputes. I think you're reading it as if I had previously mentioned the idea of making a dispute, when I clearly didn't. Anyway, I'll quit derailing this part of the conversation because it's starting to become trivial.

For the bank I'm looking for though, how would I found out specifically which one is the right one? Do I have to go to the bank I'm with tomorrow and ask, or can I search it online and find the closest one to me?

Oh trustpilot anyone? That website has saved me a lot of times

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I usually try the Better Business Bureau, they don't have everyone, and it's usually kind of hard to look up a website on them, but worth a shot.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs