What is a Voxel?

StingBull
Go to solution Solved by linusforsell,

A voxel is different from polygons in that a voxel is a single unit represented by multiple pieces of information (such as XYZ position, material and relations etc), while a polygon is drawn between a group of points that together are assigned extra information.

Example:

You have a polygon in a gray diffuse material between the four points (0,0),(2,2),(0,2) and (2,0)

To render that same thing with voxels, you'd have to have a voxel at (0,0),(0,1),(0,2),(1,0),(1,1),(1,2),(2,0),(2,1) and (2,2) with each one of the assigned the material of gray diffuse.

A voxel is in essence its own entity, while a polygon is the area between multiple points.

I can't understand exactly what voxels are and how they are different than polygons. I read up on it but no place has a simple enough explanation for it. Can you guys tell me the difference?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

-snipbek-

It's a pretty decent car 

I...I..don't think that's right..

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

But your avatar said it was a decent car Q_Q

I suppose the Vauxhall Adam is an okay car. I'll let you off....this time..

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Well polygons are discreet shapes made through vertices. But a voxel is a 3D pixel. Literally just a point with (x,y,z) coordinates, which makes it much more accurate. A polygon needs something like tessellation to make the surface seem more smooth, whereas a voxel could theoretically implement a sort of "3d anti aliasing".

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

A voxel is different from polygons in that a voxel is a single unit represented by multiple pieces of information (such as XYZ position, material and relations etc), while a polygon is drawn between a group of points that together are assigned extra information.

Example:

You have a polygon in a gray diffuse material between the four points (0,0),(2,2),(0,2) and (2,0)

To render that same thing with voxels, you'd have to have a voxel at (0,0),(0,1),(0,2),(1,0),(1,1),(1,2),(2,0),(2,1) and (2,2) with each one of the assigned the material of gray diffuse.

A voxel is in essence its own entity, while a polygon is the area between multiple points.

Cheers,

Linus

@ThyFeared

HA... HA.... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.