MIRRORED: MDD G4 Conversion

d1VOz37h.jpg

More to follow if everything goes to plan (but they never do).

Concept:

I really like a lot of Apple's designs from what I call their "Plastic Era" (that period from ~ 2000-2006) with clear polycarbonate. I think this was their most innovative period design wise instead of the derivative design language -garbage- they're using now. 

The purpose of this project is to update the G4 with modern ATX components but keeping the spirit of the original computer alive with door mounted components for accessibility and similar exterior styling with a modern interior and solid build quality. 

Parts List:

This is a transplant from my Lian Li, so nothing terribly new here parts wise.

• i5 2500K
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H
  • 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
  • Cooler Master Gemiin S524
  • EVGA GTX 650 2GB SC
  • Corsair TX-650M
  • Crucial M4 128GB
  • Seagate 1TB 7200RPM x2
  • Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm x2
  • Noctua NF-S12B UNLA x2

UPDATE: Looking to go full ATX, Xeon/i7 and some beefy GPU

Progress:

Update 1Glamour Exterior Shots 

Update 2: Tear Down & Case Tour

Update 3: CAD Layout and Renders

Update 4: Motherboard Tray V2

Update 5: Case Layout V2

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

:o

Biggest striptease ever? :P I can't wait to see where this goes.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It looks like something on your tits and then it shocks you. I have the wrong mind...

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Instasub :) any specs for this beauty?

Thanks! Nothing special, I'm moving parts from my old build into the G4. Check the original post for specs!  :)

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

Ok, enough teasing already: Here it is! 

The Mirror Drive Door (MDD) G4 in its original state.

I'll let my pictures do the talking.

1M4Wfqk.jpg

ItvaAjS.jpg

Backend: Notice the inverted layout, trickier conversion than the Sawtooth G4 or Quicksilver. You could say its...Mirrored? ;)  

5Bv5HYo.jpg

4bksEhs.jpg

q9kW5WN.jpg

My current rig, which is going to be the donor for all the internals.

IEOItYp.jpg

But your current rig is still super nice, what a hard choice to make surely.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

But your current rig is still super nice, what a hard choice to make surely.

Thanks man! It's mainly a space issue. My Lian Li usually only sits on my desk and I'm moving into a dorm with a roommate so I doubt I'll have the luxury of the infinite space I have now. 

Thanks man! It's mainly a space issue. My Lian Li usually only sits on my desk and I'm moving into a dorm with a roommate so I doubt I'll have the luxury of the infinite space I have now. 

Well the g4 will still look amazing nonetheless.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

• 1 month later...

Any progress on this?

Sorry guys, this is on the back-burner right now, I'm currently busy in school but I'm planning on stepping it up later and doing some fancy laser/waterjet overhaul on the back panel.

Sorry guys, this is on the back-burner right now, I'm currently busy in school but I'm planning on stepping it up later and doing some fancy laser/waterjet overhaul on the back panel.

You can't just tease us then disappear. Your photos are awesome!

I look forward to seeing your build progress. I have a feeling that it's going to be great.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

Why don't you keep the Firewire on your build?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You can't just tease us then disappear. Your photos are awesome!

I look forward to seeing your build progress. I have a feeling that it's going to be great.

Thanks man! I was trying to motor through the project and do a hack and slash job so that I could bring it to university. But at the end of the day the case was too nice to do a ghetto conversion so I'm holding off so I can do a proper job. 

Motherboard might not have firewire header?

But it was obvious there was a Firewire extension card.

Thanks man! I was trying to motor through the project and do a hack and slash job so that I could bring it to university. But at the end of the day the case was too nice to do a ghetto conversion so I'm holding off so I can do a proper job. 

Well, you can do a small bit at a time if you don't have that much time.

But the lian-li looks smaller... are you referring to desk footprint?

Yeah, the plan was to chuck it on the floor but that didn't happen

Well, you can do a small bit at a time if you don't have that much time.

I moved away for uni, I don't have any of my tools or access to a shop while I'm here. 

I moved away for uni, I don't have any of my tools or access to a shop while I'm here. 

Oh. That sucks. :/

• 9 months later...

So I'm finally back from school, it time to get the ball rolling on this thing. Here's a quick teaser for now, more to come very soon.  :)

TAiNmOhh.jpg

UPDATE 2: Let's get this party started.

Finally the weekend. The G4 Is fully stripped down to bare bones right now. I'm working on some sketches and inventor models to see what direction i want to take this in. 

Heres a few pictures of the original machine before I tore it down.

imgp9480_edit_2_by_ratatty-d8xztil.jpg

The MDD G4 was the last G4 model to be produced before the G5 and later Mac Pro rolled around. It also probably marked the end of the clear polycarbonate era for Apple's pro lineup. All anodized bead blasted aluminum from here on out. Ya know, "magical."

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztiw.jpg

The "Mirror Drive Door" moniker come from the obvious dual 5.25" glossy drive bays on the front. They flip down from the bottom lip for CD-ROM drive trays. 

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztj5.jpg

The fronts literally a giant mirror. I suppose you could save some money and not have to buy a separate mirror at all!  :P

As with all PowerMacs before, the motherboard was mounted on the folding door panel that swings down on a hinge for easy access. 

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztjj.jpg

You can see that the motherboard, PCI cards all are installed on the door while PSU, 5.25" drives and HDDs are mounted inside the actual case.

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztjx.jpg

Here's the thing with MDD G4s: They're a pain in the butt. 

Out of all the G4s it has the nicest latching mechanism, but the motherboard orientation is just wrong. Previous G4s mobo layouts kinda resembled todays ATX form factor, but the MDD has everything inverted, the IO is on the right of the PCI slots not the left. This means the whole back panel of this needs to go.

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztl4.jpg

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztlf.jpg

Dual G4 processors, DDR RAM and blue PCB goodness.

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztkm.jpg

Note: recessed PCI bracket, inverted layout. 

Other than that, there is only 1 intake, which is restricted by these angled inlets. Cutting out the bottom and getting some airflow in there might be an option. 

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xztjc.jpg

In the coming weeks I am going to firm up what mods are going to be done. Hardware is still up in the air, this may not end up being my personal machine so it might get some nice fancy innards (1150 Xeon maybe?). I know that I want the exterior to remain stock looking, none of that LED/gamer look here. 

untitled_by_ratatty-d8xzwbk.jpg

Have you ever thought of watercooling this bad boy? it would come out pretty sick if it did, though ventilation might be a bit of an issue.