A little (or a lot) help with a new build?

JohnGR

Hey guys, I started picking the parts for my new pc but run into some trouble, so I thought I'll consult the experts...

1. Budget & Location

I have no limit actually but i'd like to keep it under 2000€ 'cause I'm going to university, which means a lot of expenses for my parents. Also, I live in Greece.

2. Aim

Gaming(not very hardcore), I imagine some CAD for the uni, and a lot of movies, series etc.

3. Monitors

I'm really in love with the 21:9 aspect ratio but a 34um95 is just too much... So I'm going for a 29ea73 or a 29eb73 which has an adjustable base. I will also hook up an old 1080x1024 monitor for some more real estate. I'm not going to add any more monitors in the future, in case you're interested.

4. Peripherals

I'll need no peripherals and OS.

5. Why are you upgrading?

We don't even need to discuss this. My current rig is too old, it struggles with even COD 4 when I used to play...

Other Thoughts

-Other than the monitor I've decided on the cpu, a 4690k and the case, an Air 540. I really like cube cases with side windows(in case you want to recommend another) but the air 240 and the CM haf-xc haven't been released yet so that's the only choice i'm aware of.

-A mATX system would be ok and even desired but no smaller than that.

-I'd prefer an Nvidia gpu as my AMD is way too hot when operating, and i may sli in the future but i'll stick with a single card at the moment. (I really like the looks of the reference cooler of the gtx 780)

-I'd like to make this one a black/grey and orange coloured build. So, if possible choose parts(the visible ones) with black/grey in their most part and maybe some orange, I may add orange led strips in the future..

-I have a Creative sound card which also has a 5.25" contoler that comes in handy and i would like to keep it. But the card itself needs an old PCI slot. Do they even come in new mobos?

-Still haven't decided about OC

All in all, any of my current choices(maybe except for the 21:9 monitor) are debateable, so don't hesitate to change my mind about them..

Thanks a lot!!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I made a part list, it's on US prices, but I'm sure you can find similar products over there.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LVDXJx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LVDXJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($117.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($149.29 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($489.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Xigmatek Aquila MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1502.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

CAD software and possibly others like SolidWorks, do require a lot of CPU horsepower, An i7, specially a overclocked one, can really speed up your work a lot.
I know you were asking for a Nvidia GPU, they don't have anything wrong, but the high temperature you speak off is only 25W of extra TDP, the AMD cards crappy stock cooler really gave them bad publicity everywhere, but aftermarket coolers, like the Windforce, Tri-X, Vapor-X and Double Dissipation can cool the card properly, the usually are on the 65°C range when under load. Not really that hot. When you have to make renders for CAD the OpenCL acceleration of AMD GPUs is pretty much what's best out there for consumers.
The Xigmatek Aquila is one of the best looking cube mATX cases out there, the upcoming carbide Air looks promising, but it still haven't hit the market. There are a couple of reviews of this case (check the one made by Tek Syndicate). 
This is an example build and you can look what components you find where you live, make your own color scheme and decide on what monitor to get.

Here's what I suggest, it fits perfect in your budget according to the exchange rate, but there is plenty of headroom.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($209.79 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB OC Video Card  ($624.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case  ($119.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1764.71

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Hey guys, I started picking the parts for my new pc but run into some trouble, so I thought I'll consult the experts...

1. Budget & Location

I have no limit actually but i'd like to keep it under 2000€ 'cause I'm going to university, which means a lot of expenses for my parents. Also, I live in Greece.

2. Aim

Gaming(not very hardcore), I imagine some CAD for the uni, and a lot of movies, series etc.

3. Monitors

I'm really in love with the 21:9 aspect ratio but a 34um95 is just too much... So I'm going for a 29ea73 or a 29eb73 which has an adjustable base. I will also hook up an old 1080x1024 monitor for some more real estate. I'm not going to add any more monitors in the future, in case you're interested.

4. Peripherals

I'll need no peripherals and OS.

5. Why are you upgrading?

We don't even need to discuss this. My current rig is too old, it struggles with even COD 4 when I used to play...

Other Thoughts

-Other than the monitor I've decided on the cpu, a 4690k and the case, an Air 540. I really like cube cases with side windows(in case you want to recommend another) but the air 240 and the CM haf-xc haven't been released yet so that's the only choice i'm aware of.

-A mATX system would be ok and even desired but no smaller than that.

-I'd prefer an Nvidia gpu as my AMD is way too hot when operating, and i may sli in the future but i'll stick with a single card at the moment. (I really like the looks of the reference cooler of the gtx 780)

-I'd like to make this one a black/grey and orange coloured build. So, if possible choose parts(the visible ones) with black/grey in their most part and maybe some orange, I may add orange led strips in the future..

-I have a Creative sound card which also has a 5.25" contoler that comes in handy and i would like to keep it. But the card itself needs an old PCI slot. Do they even come in new mobos?

-Still haven't decided about OC

All in all, any of my current choices(maybe except for the 21:9 monitor) are debateable, so don't hesitate to change my mind about them..

Thanks a lot!!

Thank you for reading THAT topic before posting... xD 

In any case, since you are in Greece, I dont know exactly what's available there + the price different due to tax and other stuff may be applied, so I will work base on the assumption that 1 USD will translated roughtly to 1 EUR due to my previous experience with building stuff for ppl in country that use EUR, here's it:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($97.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($163.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($579.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case  ($119.00 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Asus PB298Q 60Hz 29.0" Monitor  ($449.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2205.09

The CPU I'd suggest you change to an i7 4790k since you are going to use CAD and probably modeling stuff like that, and technically since that monitor will have >1080p resolution, I'd suggest a 6GB version of the 780 as well. Other stuff is keeped to your liking like color scheme etc

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Thanks guys, but the monitor must also fit in the price range. Also, converting the prices doesn't work, the prices here are not the same. they are more like e.g. the i7 costs 340$ in the US and 340€ in Greece.. so PokemonTrainerFour's build is our of range even though closer to the looks.

The Aquila seems good, and small enough to fit on my desk easier than the air 540. It's less expensive, too.

Is a 550w PSU enough fot the second GPU i may add in the future?

That's all for now, sorry for answering to both in the same post.. 

Thanks guys, but the monitor must also fit in the price range. Also, converting the prices doesn't work, the prices here are not the same. they are more like e.g. the i7 costs 340$ in the US and 340€ in Greece.. so PokemonTrainerFour's build is our of range even though closer to the looks.

The Aquila seems good, and small enough to fit on my desk easier than the air 540. It's less expensive, too.

Is a 550w PSU enough fot the second GPU i may add in the future?

That's all for now, sorry for answering to both in the same post.. 

Nope, if you want to get 2 GPU you need at least 750W PSU. If that's the case then in my build drop the 6GB 780 to a 3GB 780, CPU cooler change to some air cooler like Dark Rock Pro3 and you should arrive near the price point you want

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

So, I'm leaning towards the Aquila and the mATX build. PokemonTrainerFour recommended a gpu by Zotac. IMO it will look great in the Aquila and suit the whole build but i have doubts about Zotac. Nothing personal, just haven't heard of them much. Are their products reliable?

Also, you recommended a samsung and a sandisk ssd. The have the same capacity but have a 30$ difference in price. Is the samsung worth the extra bucks?

What about a good mATX mobo?

Thanks again :-)

So, I'm leaning towards the Aquila and the mATX build. PokemonTrainerFour recommended a gpu by Zotac. IMO it will look great in the Aquila and suit the whole build but i have doubts about Zotac. Nothing personal, just haven't heard of them much. Are their products reliable?

Also, you recommended a samsung and a sandisk ssd. The have the same capacity but have a 30$ difference in price. Is the samsung worth the extra bucks?

What about a good mATX mobo?

Thanks again :-)

I think it worth the extra money to go with Samsung's SSD :P as for the mATX mobo, how about this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-gryphonz97

Ehm, guys, one more thing. Will the Kingston HyperX Beast fit next to the be quitet! Dark Rock Pro 3, or should i look for a low-profile RAM kit?