can i boot up a new custom built pc with an external optical drive?

Go to solution Solved by MauricioGomez,

so how would i go about that? You do get a Windows DVD when bying Windows 8.1, or am i wrong about that? or is it possible to take the DVD into my current laptop, and copy the content over to a usb, and boot from that?

It's more convenient to have it in a usb form that's how I did it :) and linus did a guide on ncix on how you would do it :)

Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJwiILbsdo

So i'm going to build my first pc using the MSI Z97-G45 motherboard and the Corsair Obsidian 750D. Since i don't want an optical drive installed in the 750D (because of the looks). I was wondering if I could boot up Windows 8.1 with an external usb optical drive? 

I consider bying an internal one an don't install it in the case, but in the other hand it could be nice to have an external one.

Not to my knowledge, no, you can't. You can use a flash drive, though.

yup all new mobos support USB booting/ use a flash drive

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You can, but that's a waste if you already own a usb stick

He said USB optical drive, if I'm not mistaken.

Having an external optical drive is very nice for the few situations where you need one rather than having an ugly one installed in your case. You can boot from it yes, but unless you have an actual Windows DVD installing from a flash drive is much easier than burning a DVD (and a lot faster).

Having an external optical drive is very nice for the few situations where you need one rather than having an ugly one installed in your case. You can boot from it yes, but unless you have an actual Windows DVD installing from a flash drive is much easier than burning a DVD.

so how would i go about that? You do get a Windows DVD when bying Windows 8.1, or am i wrong about that? or is it possible to take the DVD into my current laptop, and copy the content over to a usb, and boot from that?

If you have a Windows DVD I'd just buy an external optical drive, they really are quite handy to have around.

It's more convenient to have it in a usb form that's how I did it :) and linus did a guide on ncix on how you would do it :)

Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJwiILbsdo