$600 i3 Build

I am currently working on a budget ($600) gaming build for someone, and I don't really want to go AMD. I am trying to put together a build based on an i3, but I am having some issues keeping the price under $600.

Can you please help? Normally it would be easy, but he also needs a WiFi card, so that makes it a bit more difficult. 

A case is not needed, but please leave just $20 allotted to it. (He is buying a cheap case from me)

Thanks for your help.

I am currently working on a budget ($600) gaming build for someone, and I don't really want to go AMD. I am trying to put together a build based on an i3, but I am having some issues keeping the price under $600.

Can you please help? Normally it would be easy, but he also needs a WiFi card, so that makes it a bit more difficult. 

A case is not needed, but please leave just $20 allotted to it. (He is buying a cheap case from me)

Thanks for your help.

What do you think of using the Pentium G3258 instead of an i3?

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Thanks for your help.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($114.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($103.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($139.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Aerocool Strike-X One ATX Mid Tower Case  ($51.75 @ Mwave) 
Total: $599.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The mobo have a build in wifi

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($115.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($204.99 @ NCIX US) 

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($11.99 @ Newegg) 

Other: Case ($20.00)

Total: $609.80

$10 over but it will play almost any game at max settings at 1080P 60FPS. Also with that Z97 motherboard and good CPU cooler you can overclock that Pentium G3258 a decent amount and get the same performance as a i5 4690K in games. Also in the future he can upgrade to a i5 4690K or a i7 4790K without changing his motherboard and since he has the cooler he can overclock whatever unlocked CPU he installs to get some extra performance.

PS: Just out of curiosity, what case are you giving him?

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

What do you think of using the Pentium G3258 instead of an i3?

I thought about it, but the problem with overclocking for him is that he doesn't know that much, and if it becomes unstable, I won't really be around to help him. (Going to college)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($115.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($204.99 @ NCIX US) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($11.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: Case ($20.00)
Total: $609.80

$10 over but it will play almost any game at max settings at 1080P 60FPS. Also with that Z97 motherboard and good CPU cooler you can overclock that Pentium G3258 a decent amount and get the same performance as a i5 4690K in games. Also in the future he can upgrade to a i5 4690K or a i7 4790K without changing his motherboard and since he has the cooler he can overclock whatever unlocked CPU he installs to get some extra performance.

PS: Just out of curiosity, what case are you giving him?

The case is NZXT Apollo that my younger brother originally used before upgrading. It's not a great case, but it works alright. 

I thought about it, but the problem with overclocking for him is that he doesn't know that much, and if it becomes unstable, I won't really be around to help him. (Going to college)

The case is NZXT Apollo that my younger brother originally used before upgrading. It's not a great case, but it works alright. 

I know overclocking can be daunting but after reading a few guides and possibly getting some help from us here at LTT it is pretty easy :) The first time I overclocked was when I was 12 years old and I had no one to help me and everything ended up fine. It is definitely worth it to learn to overclock since it is essentially free performance and it is quite fun once you get the hang of it :)

My Current Build: 

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($18.95 @ Amazon) 

Total: $548.60

+20$ = 568$, this build also has room for future i5 i7 overclockable upgrade

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

I know overclocking can be daunting but after reading a few guides and possibly getting some help from us here at LTT it is pretty easy :) The first time I overclocked was when I was 12 years old and I had no one to help me and everything ended up fine. It is definitely worth it to learn to overclock since it is essentially free performance and it is quite fun once you get the hang of it :)

It's not that I would have trouble, but that the person I'm building for has no idea about it. I have heard of overclocks becoming unstable after some time, and I am worried that will happen to him while I'm not around. The person I'm building for would have no desire to learn how to overclock.

Also, would you mind linking a good overclocking guide if you know of one? I know generally how to do it, but I'm not 100% sure. 

It's not that I would have trouble, but that the person I'm building for has no idea about it. I have heard of overclocks becoming unstable after some time, and I am worried that will happen to him while I'm not around. The person I'm building for would have no desire to learn how to overclock.

Also, would you mind linking a good overclocking guide if you know of one? I know generally how to do it, but I'm not 100% sure. 

Based on my experience with overclocking, once you find a stable overclock you can just set it and forget it. I've had my 3570K running at 4.4GHz for almost a year and I've never had to adjust anything for it. So if you can get a good, stable overclock for him you can just set it and not have to worry about it :)

http://lifehacker.com/a-beginners-introduction-to-overclocking-your-intel-pr-5580998

My Current Build: