insanely high temps on i5 4690k?

Go to solution Solved by xToFxREAPER,

Hello, my Intel core i5-4690k recently arrived today, i slapped it in, and, i seem to be reaching 100c on load? idle is 50-60c

i have redone the thermal paste twice now and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

this is at stock by the way. im using a Cooler master Seidon 120v water cooler that i only had for like 2 weeks now.

i understand that it's a haswell processor which means the temps are going to be a bit high but i don't think it's supposed to be that high!

i am thinking of delidding it and maybe see if that will help with temps.

and help would be appreciated!

Sincerely,

Growlith1223

Uhmm theres something seriously wrong there, maybe double check your mounting hardware isnt bent or damaged and that the cooler itself is seating properly, if it is then there may be a faulty pump resulting in no flow thus causing temps to rise

Go back to your stock cooler.  I don't think you are mounting the water cooler properly.

Ok so now I'm using the stock cooler and temps are 40-43c on idle. Unlike on the seidon 120v which reaches 100c in 5 seconds, when on load temps stay at the 80ish mark when using prime 95.

So is it safe to say that the problem is with the cooler (maybe failing or mounted incorrectly) and not with the chip or the board? I can live with the cooler failing but it would be a hassle if the chip and the board are defective cause the store where i bought it from is quite far from where i live.

Ok so now I'm using the stock cooler and temps are 40-43c on idle. Unlike on the seidon 120v which reaches 100c in 5 seconds, when on load temps stay at the 80ish mark when using prime 95.

So is it safe to say that the problem is with the cooler (maybe failing or mounted incorrectly) and not with the chip or the board? I can live with the cooler failing but it would be a hassle if the chip and the board are defective cause the store where i bought it from is quite far from where i live.

Question, when you went from using the Seidon with the AMD to the Intel system, did you switch from the AMD mounting to Intel mounting?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I had similar on my 3770k on stock I was hitting 100degrees on a core with the others close behind. In the end I had to delid to resolve but really I should have RMA'd

Even after $1k on watercooling temps were almost 90degrees... 

Question, when you went from using the Seidon with the AMD to the Intel system, did you switch from the AMD mounting to Intel mounting?

Yes sir I did. :)

Update: It's fixed! smile.gif  I don't know exactly what fixed it, remounting the pump, remounting the fan, or changing thermal paste. Although I'm quite convinced it was the thermal paste cause the first thermal paste I used was kinda crappy.

Now the heat is back to normal. Im currently at 60-70c when using prime95 for 20 mins.

I must say that when this thing with the cooler happened I kinda wished I didn't make the switch to intel (cause of all the hassle) but now that it's fixed I couldn't be any happier going to intel! :) TDP is much better with intel therefore less heat. Now my room doesn't feel like a sauna when the system is on load.

Thanks for the help guys! smile.gif

Oh and another question. My friend has the same exact i5 + mobo that I am using. But when stress testing his temps are way cooler than mine. His temps were only 63c max under load while mine reaches up to 80c (both after 20 mins of testing). He is using a brand new deep cool maelstorm 120 (almost same as my seidon 120v). Question is: What's the reason for my higher temps? Is it defective CPU or worn out cooler? Cause I have to admit I might have scratched the copper plating on the pump when cleaning it and now its all rough as opposed to it's original condition.

Sorry for the never ending questions I just want to make sure that my CPU is not defective or anything. Buying another cooler is easier than to RMA my cpu.

Oh and another question. My friend has the same exact i5 + mobo that I am using. But when stress testing his temps are way cooler than mine. His temps were only 63c max under load while mine reaches up to 80c (both after 20 mins of testing). He is using a brand new deep cool maelstorm 120 (almost same as my seidon 120v). Question is: What's the reason for my higher temps? Is it defective CPU or worn out cooler? Cause I have to admit I might have scratched the copper plating on the pump when cleaning it and now its all rough as opposed to it's original condition.

Sorry for the never ending questions I just want to make sure that my CPU is not defective or anything. Buying another cooler is easier than to RMA my cpu.

Your scuffed up plate could be the reason.  You want it as smooth and lapped as possible.  Not to mention, I do think the Maelstrom is a better AIO by about 5C.  Also ambient temps, maybe it is cooler near him, maybe he has it placed better within his room for airflow. Also, you have to set your voltage to manual before stress testing.

Your CPU is fine.  No worry for the questions, I am glad you ask first and act later than act first and ask later.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I plugged the pump into the motherboard "cpu fan" pin. oh i dont have an adapater to plug it into my psu but will into that. I'll try mounting the fan again, I have it in a push pull config btw. Ambient temps i thing around 34c I'm not sure (it's quite hot here in the Phillipines). But last night when I posted my question it was quite chilly maybe 30-31c. I get at least 76-80c when playing ACU and Far cry 4 all at ultra settings except for AA turned down a bit. But the real catch is when doing blend test in prime95 it GOES UP TO 100C AND EVEN HIGHER! At that point I just stop prime95.

When idle temps are around 40c consistently. It's when I try to do a stress test that it all goes to hell.

Note that just 2 days ago I was using the same cooler for my fx 8320e OC at 4.2ghz (which was supposed to be hotter than the i5 if I'm not mistaken) and it worked like a charm.

I don't know if it is relevant to post my specs but here it is.

i5 4690k @ stock speed with turbo up to 3.9

Cooler Master Seidon 120v (bought just 2 months ago)

ECS Z87H3-A2X extreme (not that bad of a board to be honest)

Corsair Vengeance pro 2x 4gb 1866

Corsair cx750w

msi gtx 970

prime 95 can increase voltage and that increases temps, what are volts? Have ypu tried remounting it? My temps are low 60c when folding. Different cooler.

Your scuffed up plate could be the reason.  You want it as smooth and lapped as possible.  Not to mention, I do think the Maelstrom is a better AIO by about 5C.  Also ambient temps, maybe it is cooler near him, maybe he has it placed better within his room for airflow. Also, you have to set your voltage to manual before stress testing.

Your CPU is fine.  No worry for the questions, I am glad you ask first and act later than act first and ask later.

Phew that's good to know. :) Well i know for a fact that his room is a lot cooler than mine also his rig is placed in front of a window as opposed to mine in front of a wall (might have to position my rig better). Yes I turned it to manual, after stress testing I will then switch it back to adaptive. 

Since you said no worries for the questions, would you mind helping me try and OC my cpu? This is my first time using an INTEL chip and though the concept is the same the bios is quite new to me. my board is ecs z87h3-a2x and I found a good review that shows screenshots of each page in the bios. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ecs_l337_gank_machine_z87h3a2x_extreme/4.htm.

I saw another article showing a chart of their 4690k OC results. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

Looking at the pictures under the voltage section. how can i set the exact manual voltage that I want? My target is about 4.2 - 4.4ghz at the lowest voltage I can possible set. Also what other settings do I need to turn on/off while OC'ing?

I know this is quite off topic from the original post so if you want I will message you instead. Thanks very much! :)

Also note that this OC is just for testing only and I don't plan on OC'ing 24/7 until I get a better board and a better cooler.

Phew that's good to know. :) Well i know for a fact that his room is a lot cooler than mine also his rig is placed in front of a window as opposed to mine in front of a wall (might have to position my rig better). Yes I turned it to manual, after stress testing I will then switch it back to adaptive. 

Since you said no worries for the questions, would you mind helping me try and OC my cpu? This is my first time using an INTEL chip and though the concept is the same the bios is quite new to me. my board is ecs z87h3-a2x and I found a good review that shows screenshots of each page in the bios. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ecs_l337_gank_machine_z87h3a2x_extreme/4.htm.

I saw another article showing a chart of their 4690k OC results. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

Looking at the pictures under the voltage section. how can i set the exact manual voltage that I want? My target is about 4.2 - 4.4ghz at the lowest voltage I can possible set. Also what other settings do I need to turn on/off while OC'ing?

I know this is quite off topic from the original post so if you want I will message you instead. Thanks very much! :)

Also note that this OC is just for testing only and I don't plan on OC'ing 24/7 until I get a better board and a better cooler.

Ya, all those things taken into consideration, its no wonder your friend has much better temps.

We need to use a different stress testing program than P95, because it will be way too hot for you.  Your mobo and cooler should be fine for a mild overclock in the 4.0-4.4 Range.

Here are some guides I refer people to, I have never helped someone with an ECS mobo, so I am really in the dark on what settings and what they are called within your BIOS.

The most important thing to know going into this is to keep an open mind.  Don't try and compare your results to others, just focus on getting the best result for your chip that you are comfortable with. Also, whenever you stress test, make absolutely sure that you set your voltage to manual before stress testing.  When you are done stress testing, revert back to adaptive voltage.  Failure to do so can cause overheating and overvolting which has the potential to damage your chip.  If you do everything as instructed, and keep a low voltage below 1.25v, you will be fine.

To start, do some research.  Understand what all of the terms mean, and wait to play with your settings until you understand everything. 

http://rog.asus.com/...or-Overclocking

http://www.wikihow.com/Overclock-a-PC

https://teksyndicate...ng-guide/153447

http://www.overclock...with-statistics

http://linustechtips...clocking-guide/

Load Line Calibration, Why Overclockers Should Care

Try and use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, Aida 64, Cinebench, Intel Burn Test, not Prime95.

Ya, all those things taken into consideration, its no wonder your friend has much better temps.

We need to use a different stress testing program than P95, because it will be way too hot for you.  Your mobo and cooler should be fine for a mild overclock in the 4.0-4.4 Range.

Here are some guides I refer people to, I have never helped someone with an ECS mobo, so I am really in the dark on what settings and what they are called within your BIOS.

The most important thing to know going into this is to keep an open mind.  Don't try and compare your results to others, just focus on getting the best result for your chip that you are comfortable with. Also, whenever you stress test, make absolutely sure that you set your voltage to manual before stress testing.  When you are done stress testing, revert back to adaptive voltage.  Failure to do so can cause overheating and overvolting which has the potential to damage your chip.  If you do everything as instructed, and keep a low voltage below 1.25v, you will be fine.

To start, do some research.  Understand what all of the terms mean, and wait to play with your settings until you understand everything. 

Try and use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, Aida 64, Cinebench, Intel Burn Test, not Prime95.

Ok will keep all of that in mind! :) Thanks sir Faceman! Will update as soon as I can.

Ok so I read most (not all of your resources as one is a dead link) and trying to OC as we speak. My settings are:

Voltage set to override

4.4ghz @ 1.210v (tried 1.200v but bsod after 10 mins of AIDA64 test

Ring cache @ 4.0ghz

DRAM frequency at 1600 (will try 1866 if this test passes) voltage @ 1.600v

Temps fluctuate at around 75-81c currently at 14 minutes of AIDA64 system stability test.

Max package temp is 86c (although it doesn't stay at 86 mostly hovers around 75-81c)

So is this safe? And also for how long should I stress test? Cause previously on my FX chip i usually tested at around 20-40 mins max.

Can I improve my temp by putting a static pressure optimized fan on the radiator? like a corsair SP120? Because I think the fan that I have on the rad right now is not pressure optimized (cooler master sickle flow 120)

UPDATE: currently @ 22 mins in AIDA64 stability test. Should I keep going or is this this enough? package temp still hasn't changed from the 14 minute mark.

UPDATE: now at the 36 minute mark and still going. CPU temps are still the same as in the 14 and 22 minute mark. I am quite content with these results and may have to stop the test now. Still if there are any suggestions please let me know.

snip

If you have room to add a 2nd fan for push pull, it might help temps by a few C. Sickleflow is an ok fan. I prefer Blade Masters personally.

Those results are good. Now try playing some games with voltage set to adaptive. If you can play games fine with those settings and adaptive voltage, you're in the clear. If you switch to adaptive voltage and BSOD when playing a game, add just a tiny bit more voltage, .005 until you get stable with adaptive.

If you have room to add a 2nd fan for push pull, it might help temps by a few C. Sickleflow is an ok fan. I prefer Blade Masters personally.

Those results are good. Now try playing some games with voltage set to adaptive. If you can play games fine with those settings and adaptive voltage, you're in the clear. If you switch to adaptive voltage and BSOD when playing a game, add just a tiny bit more voltage, .005 until you get stable with adaptive.

Ok I tried playing Assassin's Creed Unity for a couple of hours with no problems whatsoever. Yeah I'll probably replace the fans, or buy a better cooler altogether. Thanks again sir Faceman for your help! :) I really appreciate it. :)

Oops! Looks like it's not over yet.  :mellow:  While watching a video on the internet (not on load), my rig suddenly restarted. Before it restarted, temps and voltage were at normal. What do you think caused this? Should I bump up my voltage a bit? maybe 1.215 (currently at 1.210). Is there something I missed in the BIOS settings?

Oops! Looks like my it's not over yet.  :mellow:  While watching a video on the internet (not on load), my rig suddenly restarted. Before it restarted, temps and voltage were at normal. What do you think caused this? Should I bump up my voltage a bit? maybe 1.215 (currently at 1.210). Is there something I missed in the BIOS settings?

Yea, try 1.215

Yea, try 1.215

Tried 1.215v still it restarts randomly. Restarts usually happens not on full load but when browsing the web. Currently trying 1.220v.

Tried 1.215v still it restarts randomly. Restarts usually happens not on full load but when browsing the web. Currently trying 1.220v.

I forgot to mention this last time.  Keep your ring cache at stock.  Ring Bus or Cache overclocking does nothing for performance, and only causes instability.

My overclocking really took off when I set my Cache to min = 38, max = 38, adaptive voltage = 1.000. 

After using those setting for cache, then I was able to really dial in a crazy good OC on my core.  You can try keeping cache at what you have, and continue to increase your core voltage by .005 increments.  Or you can try what I recommended, and play around with voltages, maybe even getting it lower than what you previously had.

Overclocking is a long process, it takes awhile.  I know it tedious, but getting the best result for your processor is worth it in the end.

I forgot to mention this last time.  Keep your ring cache at stock.  Ring Bus or Cache overclocking does nothing for performance, and only causes instability.

My overclocking really took off when I set my Cache to min = 38, max = 38, adaptive voltage = 1.000. 

After using those setting for cache, then I was able to really dial in a crazy good OC on my core.  You can try keeping cache at what you have, and continue to increase your core voltage by .005 increments.  Or you can try what I recommended, and play around with voltages, maybe even getting it lower than what you previously had.

Overclocking is a long process, it takes awhile.  I know it tedious, but getting the best result for your processor is worth it in the end.

I see. In my current settings I set the ring bus to 4.0 (default setting was at 3.9). If I remember correctly I used the default setting on the ring bus while I did the stress test of 4.4ghz @ 1.210v and I had no problems. I think the random restarts only happened after I changed the ring bus to 4.0ghz.

Ok I'll give that a try then try dialing down my core voltage to 1.210 again then I'll update you again.

Thanks!

I see. In my current settings I set the ring bus to 4.0 (default setting was at 3.9). If I remember correctly I used the default setting on the ring bus while I did the stress test of 4.4ghz @ 1.210v and I had no problems. I think the random restarts only happened after I changed the ring bus to 4.0ghz.

Ok I'll give that a try then try dialing down my core voltage to 1.210 again then I'll update you again.

Thanks!

Oh right, the stock for the i5-4690k is 3.9.  Set it to min = 39, max = 39 then.

Oh right, the stock for the i5-4690k is 3.9.  Set it to min = 39, max = 39 then.

Yes it's 3.9 :) . Also I noticed that when I set a value on the vcore (1.210 ,1.215, 1.220) I noticed the readings in CPUZ or HWMONITOR shows that the VCORE is only 1.108, 1.213, 1.218 respectively. This is VDROOP right? Could this be what's causing instability?

EDIT: I found a setting on VDROOP on the BIOS. Should I turn it on or off?

Yes it's 3.9 :) . Also I noticed that when I set a value on the vcore (1.210 ,1.215, 1.220) I noticed the readings in CPUZ or HWMONITOR shows that the VCORE is only 1.108, 1.213, 1.218 respectively. This is VDROOP right? Could this be what's causing instability?

EDIT: I found a setting on VDROOP on the BIOS. Should I turn it on or off?

That is adaptive voltage most likely.  Your voltage and Core speed will fluctuate based on the workload.  I don't know the settings in your BIOS.  I know other BIOS's have something called LLC, Load Line Calibration, and that has something to do with vDroop and vBoost.  I really wish all mobo manufacturers would standardize their terminology, would make things SO much easier.

Are you still having instability even after setting Cache to 39/39?

That is adaptive voltage most likely.  Your voltage and Core speed will fluctuate based on the workload.  I don't know the settings in your BIOS.  I know other BIOS's have something called LLC, Load Line Calibration, and that has something to do with vDroop and vBoost.  I really wish all mobo manufacturers would standardize their terminology, would make things SO much easier.

Are you still having instability even after setting Cache to 39/39?

Lol my thoughts exactly. Well I tried gaming for a couple of hours with the cache set to 39 @ 1.000v and I had no problems, no random restart, thats even with the vcore dialed down to 1.210 (I was at 1.220 before). But as I was typing this reply just minutes ago, it happened again, it restarted on its own again.

Now I will try setting the cache voltage to 1.010 and the vcore to 1.215v.

Lol my thoughts exactly. Well I tried gaming for a couple of hours with the cache set to 39 @ 1.000v and I had no problems, no random restart, thats even with the vcore dialed down to 1.210 (I was at 1.220 before). But as I was typing this reply just minutes ago, it happened again, it restarted on its own again.

Now I will try setting the cache voltage to 1.010 and the vcore to 1.215v.

Thats strange that it is happening when doing nothing intensive.

Are you blue screening, or just randomly restarting?

Whenever I was stress testing and trying to find my overclock, the blue screens would only happen during something intensive.

Yea, keep trying to increase voltage.  I wouldn't go above 1.025 on the cache I don't think.

Thats strange that it is happening when doing nothing intensive.

Are you blue screening, or just randomly restarting?

Whenever I was stress testing and trying to find my overclock, the blue screens would only happen during something intensive.

Yea, keep trying to increase voltage.  I wouldn't go above 1.025 on the cache I don't think.

Yes it only happens when I'm browsing. I would game for hours with no problems. No blue screens, just restarts on its own.

I noticed that it happens a couple of minutes after I boot my computer then it never happens again. For example, when I wake up in the morning then boot my system, I would browse for a couple of minutes and then it would restart. Then after the restart, I would try gaming for a couple of hours with no problems.

Ok will keep the cache voltage to 1.010.

Will update you as soon as possible.

Yes it only happens when I'm browsing. I would game for hours with no problems. No blue screens, just restarts on its own.

I noticed that it happens a couple of minutes after I boot my computer then it never happens again. For example, when I wake up in the morning then boot my system, I would browse for a couple of minutes and then it would restart. Then after the restart, I would try gaming for a couple of hours with no problems.

Ok will keep the cache voltage to 1.010.

Will update you as soon as possible.

Strange.  Especially if you aren't blue screening, I don't think it has to do with overclock stability.  I could be wrong though.

Make sure everything is plugged in very securely.  I'm not sure.  Maybe try creating a new topic, hopefully someone else can help.  Write down everything you have tried and your experiences.  More heads on the problem can't hurt.