Favourite Anime

There have been threads like this before, but I think threads like this are the type that are always re-occuring. It's not like news where you just have a repost of the same stuff. The threads are almost always different in content.

AoT redefined what I consider high quality anime. 

However, choosing a single favorite is hard for me. I still say it's Read or Die. It's what got me into anime the most and I still love it so much :3

Read-or-Die-wallpaper.jpg

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

However, choosing a single favorite is hard for me. I still say it's Read or Die. It's what got me into anime the most and I still love it so much :3

I bought a One piece manga book that is in japanese (even when i cant read it) just because i love it so much haha. 

There have been threads like this before, but I think threads like this are the type that are always re-occuring. It's not like news where you just have a repost of the same stuff. The threads are almost always different in content.

Zerochan images don't work (: 

Am I the only person that didn't like Shingeki No Kyojin much? I think it's extremely overrated. 

As for favourite anime, the Monogatari series. 

Psycho-Pass, Dragon Ball, Attack on Titan, Highschool of the Dead and Sword Art Online are my favourite so far and if I were to pick one it would be between Psycho-Pass and Dragon Ball.

P.S If you are on MyAnimeList feel free to add me :)LINK

DBZ

I'm not exactly a huge fan of animu. Only like a select few. :o

Cowboy Bebop. 

I was planning to watch Attack on Titan on Netflix, untill I found that they had the original run of the Twilight Zone. Probably going to be a while.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Cowboy Bebop. 

I was planning to watch Attack on Titan on Netflix, untill I found that they had the original run of the Twilight Zone. Probably going to be a while.

Read the below paragraphs if you want to see if it's something you like. I was general enough that spoilers shouldn't be an issue.

Zerochan images don't work (: 

Am I the only person that didn't like Shingeki No Kyojin much? I think it's extremely overrated. 

As for favourite anime, the Monogatari series.

They don't work? Then why do I see them?

Nevermind. Reloading the page changed it.

I believe AoT appeals to a certain type of crowd that has been craving an anime where the heroes don't always win. In fact, they rarely actually "win", if at all. However, at the same time, the heroes are somewhat relate-able. 

Like, there are anime like that (obviously), but they usually don't do it for some logical reason. They do it because of dark reasons like "The bad guy is just this messed up." and things like that. Things that could totally be realistic, but also people find hard to suspend disbelief for and connect with. Whereas, in AoT, I consider the anime to be realistic in a sense. Like, I'd expect this to be how things turned out assuming the situation existed in real life. Fear and hopelessness and whatnot in the face of some immense unknown nigh-indestructible enemy that solely wants to destroy you (at least from your perspective).

AoT is basically colossal zombies. i.e. this thing wants to eat/kill me for some unknown reason and it's very hard to kill. If you don't like such things, you won't enjoy it. But a lot of people do and have been craving such things for a long time. I watched Highschool of the Dead solely because it was as close as Anime got to a real zombie apocalypse. I mean, in the anime, it was a real zombie apocalypse, but the ecchi and such ruined it for me mostly because it lead to a half-serious story that couldn't grip me.

I couldn't connect with the characters. I was too distracted by pantsu and insane ninja acrobatics or illogical/improbable situations. Admittedly, zombies are illogical/improbable, but that's not the point. They are supposed to be the only thing that isn't realistic. The rest should be, because part of what makes zombie stuff good is that you can put yourself in the situations to an extent. AoT's world is so detailed and explained/logical that it really helps with that. The only thing that really needs suspension of disbelief is the Titans themselves and how they work. Just like in zombie stuff. Or at least how it should be in zombie stuff.

AoT on the other hand has a much better balance of characters I can understand and connect with. Meaning if/when they inevitably die, I care. I feel that hopelessness. As opposed to HotD where I'm like "as long as the hot chicks don't die, and they won't, I don't care who dies." Again, admittedly, HotD was written by someone who writes hentai, so it can be understood why it is what it is, but that has always made me wonder why zombies weren't much of a thing in anime the way they are in the West. It took a hentai mangaka to make a popular anime about zombies (western ones at least) and part of that popularity was from the pantsu. Why? That's sad for people like me who want that kind of stuff (zombies, as in Walking Dead type zombies, not Kore wa Zombie-desu ka zombies, and not pantsu). :(

AoT is a new take on the zombie genre effectively. And imo it's a great one.

It's complicated, but I think that's why people like it because that's what I experienced while watching it and I love zombie stuff (which AoT is very very similar to in a lot of respects).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Read the below paragraphs if you want to see if it's something you like. I was general enough that spoilers shouldn't be an issue.

I believe AoT appeals to a certain type of crowd that has been craving an anime where the heroes don't always win. In fact, they rarely actually "win", if at all. However, at the same time, the heroes are somewhat relate-able. 

Like, there are anime like that (obviously), but they usually don't do it for some logical reason. They do it because of dark reasons like "The bad guy is just this messed up." and things like that. Things that could totally be realistic, but also people find hard to suspend disbelief for and connect with. Whereas, in AoT, I consider the anime to be realistic in a sense. Like, I'd expect this to be how things turned out assuming the situation existed in real life. Fear and hopelessness and whatnot in the face of some immense unknown nigh-indestructible enemy that solely wants to destroy you (at least from your perspective).

AoT is basically colossal zombies. i.e. this thing wants to eat/kill me for some unknown reason and it's very hard to kill. If you don't like such things, you won't enjoy it. But a lot of people do and have been craving such things for a long time. I watched Highschool of the Dead solely because it was as close as Anime got to a real zombie apocalypse. I mean, in the anime, it was a real zombie apocalypse, but the ecchi and such ruined it for me mostly because it lead to a half-serious story that couldn't grip me.

I couldn't connect with the characters. I was too distracted by pantsu and insane ninja acrobatics or illogical/improbable situations. Admittedly, zombies are illogical/improbable, but that's not the point. They are supposed to be the only thing that isn't realistic. The rest should be, because part of what makes zombie stuff good is that you can put yourself in the situations to an extent. AoT's world is so detailed and explained/logical that it really helps with that. The only thing that really needs suspension of disbelief is the Titans themselves and how they work. Just like in zombie stuff. Or at least how it should be in zombie stuff.

AoT on the other hand has a much better balance of characters I can understand and connect with. Meaning if/when they inevitably die, I care. I feel that hopelessness. As opposed to HotD where I'm like "as long as the hot chicks don't die, and they won't, I don't care who dies." Again, admittedly, HotD was written by someone who writes hentai, so it can be understood why it is what it is, but that has always made me wonder why zombies weren't much of a thing in anime the way they are in the West. It took a hentai mangaka to make a popular anime about zombies (western ones at least) and part of that popularity was from the pantsu. Why? That's sad for people like me who want that kind of stuff (zombies, not pantsu). :(

AoT is a new take on the zombie genre effectively. And imo it's a great one.

It's complicated, but I think that's why people like it because that's what I experienced while watching it and I love zombie stuff (which AoT is very very similar to in a lot of respects).

I wanted to watch it, since a lot of people have recommend me to watch it, including my wife. And from your description it does sound quite intersting.

I have also seen a very intersting analysis of it, that I will probably not understand fully untill I have watched it.

http://blip.tv/jesuotaku/attack-on-titan-an-in-depth-analysis-6774120

Edit: Won't let me embed Blip.tv links. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I wanted to watch it, since a lot of people have recommend me to watch it, including my wife. And from your description it does sound quite intersting.

I have also seen a very intersting analysis of it, that I will probably not understand fully untill I have watched it.

http://blip.tv/jesuotaku/attack-on-titan-an-in-depth-analysis-6774120

Edit: Won't let me embed Blip.tv links. 

Can't watch it. At work and left my headphones at home. 

Reading the comments, I can sort of tell what's in the video. 

I'll just say this: 

• The action is great and epic.
  • The music is great and epic.
  • The art is great and epic.
  • The story is great and epic.
  • The characters are great and epic.

^My opinion. I think the action, music, and art are all things people would generally agree on honestly. It's the story/characters that people tend to disagree on. Just depends on opinion I guess. 

† Christian Member †

Probably tengen toppa gurren lagann or sword art online. TTGL got me into anime more seriously, before that it was what I could find on UK channels as a kid, mainly the original Pokemon series and the few after that. Recently however, I started getting back into it after a year hiatus and have been watching season 2 of SAO and also black bullet, which I found rather interesting.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Some of you guys like some really shallow and low quality anime as your favorites. :P
How about a copy pasta?

Top 10 favorite Anime

1. Elfen Lied
2. Strawberry Panic!
3. Kill La Kill
4. Girls Bravo!

5. Kashimashi ~Girl meets Girl~
6. Arjuna (Earth Maiden Juna)
7. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
8. DearS 
9. The Melancholy of Haruhii Suzamiya
0. Fooly Cooly

Favorite Anime movies
1. Spirited Away

2. Ghost in the Shell (I consider this to be the greatest movie of all time)
3. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

4. The Girl Who Leapted Through Time
5. Howl's Movie Castle

Favorite Manga
1. Chobits

2. FLCL(fooly cooly)

3. W Juliet
4. Absolute Boyfriend
5. Peach Girl

Favorite non Series Anime characters
Nanami Madobe Windows 7 OS-tan
Hastune Miku

The Monogatari series.

I gave it a shot but couldn't get into it, manga or anime. I think the art and setting are pretty cool, but I didn't care about any of the characters and the pacing seemed off at times.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's Horizon In The Middle of Nowhere series because I think it's the best all around anime.It's certainly not the best anime in a specific genre but man it's sooo good !!  :wub:

For mangas it's Attack on Titan because epicness,story and freaky Titans.Although Minamoto-kun Monogatari is pretty close ^^

And talking about Attack on Titan,i'm I the only one who thinks that the drawings in the anime are too clean because in the manga the not so clean,almost dirty drawings add to the impression of helplessness and sadness of the story .  :huh:

Even though a lot of people watch it, I like One Piece and Pokemon Origins.

I haven't watched anime in years though, but I enjoyed the graphics to Origins and One Piece is very interesting.

Do not watch Pupa it is an unholy abomination that should of been fracking aborted. The ending to 

Gokukoku no Brynhildr

was pretty sh*t though too. 

On the other hand Black Bullet was good :D