US Patent & Trademark Office Refuse to Register Apple's "Touch ID" Trademark

Dietrichw

Source

YPbIvTz.jpg

Today, the US Patent & Trademark Office published an official letter that was sent to Apple regarding their trademark application for "Touch ID" having been refused by their trademark examiner. Noteworthy is the fact that the letter was originally sent to Apple on May 7 and only made public today. That's over a two month delay. The case against Apple's Touch ID being registered seems to be solid and valid. Apple officially has six months to reply to USPTO with a work-around remedy or risk automatic trademark abandonment. With Apple likely to add their Touch ID feature to new iPads this fall, it'll be interesting to see how Apple reacts to this latest news.

The US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has refused to register Apple's "Touch ID" trademark based on there being a likelihood of confusion with the mark in U.S. Registration No. 2735480

xrNDCIM.png

I Looked into the Kronos Touch ID and this is it 

4f27aefeebe5100ee2c8cf8b884621e7.png

And it doesn't look like it is in production anymore. 

I doubt there will be confusion as most people have never heard of Kronos Touch ID unless you are a business owner from over a decade ago that used one of these payroll tracking systems that Kronos makes. 

Kronos Touch ID. I remember that piece of shit shift tracking system. Actually, piece of shit was an understatement. 

Irony being the one time Apple makes something well integrated (and decently useful to boot) and they can't protect it. 

Kronos Touch ID. I remember that piece of shit shift tracking system. Actually, piece of shit was an understatement. 

Irony being the one time Apple makes something well integrated (and decently useful to boot) and they can't protect it. 

Should have named it properly then so that they could avoid this in the first place. Looks like the person/team that named the feature didn't do enough research beforehand.

i don't care they failed the trademark because of an old product that may not be in production anymore, but because trademarking this is retarded, yeah sure apple may want to avoid copycats and whatnot but filling a trademark is kinda overkill when they are lots of product or features of a product that doesn't have a trademark in order to stand out

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Trademarking "Touch ID" or pretty much anything at all is pointless at best and a blow to progress at worst. And we know from Apple's track record what they will do with this trademark. They'll probably sue small businesses and schools that have the word "ID" or "Touch" in their name.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Good, one less thing apple can 'patent'

"if by "bass" you mean wet farts then yes, those are the razer crapkens"

Oh but you can patent the fucking word "candy" ._._...____._.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015