Best AA Charger?

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

You have 2 type of chargers.

-> basic charger.

-> smart charger.

Basic chargers, does nothing to your battery, beside send power to charge them, or follow a specif behaviors, like discharge first and charge again, regardless of the battery status.

They are inexpensive, does the job, but your rechargeable batteries wont' last long, wear out fast, and can take more time to charge.

Smart chargers is a different world of battery chargers. They analyses the inserted battery, treat each battery individually, and charges them. Fast charging is bad? Not really with smart chargers, as it takes care of the battery, by analysis it's current status during the charging process. Some can even charge different types and capacities batteries, and not stuck to 1 mode, where if you put lower amount mAh they'll be over charged, and higher mAh may need to be charge twice, where the second time is needed to charge the battery more, and that can lead to overcharging the battery damaging it over time. The downside is that they are costly.

My recommendation: Don't cheap out, get a smart charger.

I highly recommend La Crosse Technology battery recharger.

Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405383904&sr=1-2&keywords=smart+charger

The downside of the charger is that it only does 4x batteries at a time. And they don't have a model with more batteries.

I know it doesn't do 20 as you wanted.. I don't know any, nor encountered one. But I hope it helps in some way.

Not sure what section to post this in so ended up here.

Any recommendations on good AA battery chargers? Need to charge 20 Eneloops, having difficulty finding one with 20 slots but a combination of 2 8s and a 4 or 2 10s would be cool. 

They are all pretty good though I currently have an Energizer charger for my 10 Energizers which I've had for about a year and still works, seems pretty good so far :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

They are all pretty good though I currently have an Energizer charger for my 10 Energizers which I've had for about a year and still works, seems pretty good so far :)

Yeah have a few energizer ones, a bit too slow and lack some of the features I need.

Sorry should have mentioned I'm in the UK. All sorted anyway, ended up going with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maha-MH-C800S-Precision-Charger-Battery/dp/B001JK7SVE/

Seems very well recommended and has the features I need. Cheers guys.

-> basic charger.

-> smart charger.

Basic chargers, does nothing to your battery, beside send power to charge them, or follow a specif behaviors, like discharge first and charge again, regardless of the battery status.

They are inexpensive, does the job, but your rechargeable batteries wont' last long, wear out fast, and can take more time to charge.

Smart chargers is a different world of battery chargers. They analyses the inserted battery, treat each battery individually, and charges them. Fast charging is bad? Not really with smart chargers, as it takes care of the battery, by analysis it's current status during the charging process. Some can even charge different types and capacities batteries, and not stuck to 1 mode, where if you put lower amount mAh they'll be over charged, and higher mAh may need to be charge twice, where the second time is needed to charge the battery more, and that can lead to overcharging the battery damaging it over time. The downside is that they are costly.

Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405383904&sr=1-2&keywords=smart+charger

The downside of the charger is that it only does 4x batteries at a time. And they don't have a model with more batteries.

I know it doesn't do 20 as you wanted.. I don't know any, nor encountered one. But I hope it helps in some way.

Havn't you seen Infinite Solutions? They have a great trick to recharging batteries.

-> basic charger.

-> smart charger.

Thanks, great info.

Yeah that's exactly the kind of charger I was after with conditioning and auto shut off/trickle features. Trawled a few other forums and the La Crosse brand came up quite a few times, unfortunately they didn't seem to be available in the UK, at least under that brand name, but didn't want to take the risk.

Ended up ordering 2 of Powerex Maha, they seem to get the same recommendations as the La Crosse stuff and hold 8 cells which is a bonus. Using the Eneloop Mignon which apparently get faster recycle times in speedlights only downside is they are only rated for 500 cycles compared to the normal 1800 so definitely wasn't going to cheap out on the charger.

Cheers.