Gigabyte HD Radeon 7970 gaming help...

HypeReemz
Go to solution Solved by Prodigydeadeye,

The 7970 is definitely not overkill for one display. Get it. It is way better than a 750ti. 750ti is a budget entry level card.

I recently posted a forum post asking help on which card to get a GTX 750 ti or a HD 7970, I have chosen the HD 7970, but will this be good for what I want to do, I would like to start my own YouTube channel so this means games and rendering and editing. The games I will be playing is Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Garry's Mod and various other games coming out. I asked a friend what I should get and he replied with "if your having one display unit the HD 7970 is overkill..." but sooner or later ill be getting more then one. I haven't bought the card yet due to I am only 14 and my parents are buying the parts one by one, so if anyone has the card and has these games and know what they get that would be awesome, any help would be nice.

One is a low end GPU with no external power connectors and one is a last gen high end, the two can't even be compared. That being said a 7970 is fine for what you're wanting to do.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I recently posted a forum post asking help on which card to get a GTX 750 ti or a HD 7970, I have chosen the HD 7970, but will this be good for what I want to do, I would like to start my own YouTube channel so this means games and rendering and editing. The games I will be playing is Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Garry's Mod and various other games coming out. I asked a friend what I should get and he replied with "if your having one display unit the HD 7970 is overkill..." but sooner or later ill be getting more then one. I haven't bought the card yet due to I am only 14 and my parents are buying the parts one by one, so if anyone has the card and has these games and know what they get that would be awesome, any help would be nice.

Personally I would get a newer AMD card or nvidia card, for the sole reason of Shadowplay and AMDs equivalent, basically means you can record gameplay with manageable file sizes with almost no performance loss

recording with fraps etc can be very demanding especially on lower end system

OR get some money for an elgato (or other recorder)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The 7970 is definitely not overkill for one display. Get it. It is way better than a 750ti. 750ti is a budget entry level card.

I should be studying.

It's gonna be fine. 
If you need more horsepower in the future you can get another 7970 or sell it and get whatever is gonna be high end in 2-3 years 

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova