27" Monitor vs 34" Ultrawide

jedylan

I am building a pc for video editing and gaming. I want a new big monitor to go with my pc but I cant seem to decide between an Asus 27" IPS 60htz Monitor which is around 500$ and I would later on buy a second screen for work efficiency. Or the 34" Ultrawide Monitor from LG sold for 1000$. I think this monitor looks awsome 34" wide is about the same height as a 27" monitor but it is wider is the extra space on the screen worth it when I could get 2 27" for the same price? If you have other suggestions I also want to hear them.

Linus videos for the 27": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsTZbfPCuTs

Linus videos for the 34": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4

IMO 21:9 is the best so i would buy the 34''.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

IF you can run it, and are happy that not all games work in 21:9 then the ultrawide makes sense

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Ultrawide for better gaming and work experience.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I can definetly run it its just the price I think is high.

I can definetly run it its just the price I think is high.

When are you building? AOC is due to release its competing 21:9 1440p monitor within a couple of months which should drive down prices, if you can wait.

When are you building? AOC is due to release its competing 21:9 1440p monitor within a couple of months which should drive down prices, if you can wait.

I am building in late august. Is there a release date?

Nothing solid that I'm aware of. A brochure released in their site said August, a company rep on OCUK said September. There may have been delays but it seems to be close to launch. Try googling for it, there are pictures released and such to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Dell is also known to be working on one, but no solid launch date for that either. :/

Alternatively, if you can live with bezels two Dell or Asus 1440p screens will provide you with more space for stuff at the same price, but I'm personally put off of that option because I tend to work with three documents open simultaneously, and it wouldn't be well split up. Additionally, 21:9 gaming will be nicer.

If I were you I'd defer decision making for a month or so. A lot can change!

I've been considering the same question, although for myself I focus on photo editing rather than video primarily. For myself I don't mind the bezel, I use triple screens currently for productivity and really enjoy them. As nice as the wide screen looks, for myself I would have to do without one of the three monitors, as only one widescreen and one standard monitor would fit on my desk. While with a 1440p 27 inch I can portrait it and still have the three monitors.

well their website says its coming in august (im probably also getting one)

http://www.aoc-europe.com/no_cache/en/monitors.html?useCacheHash=1&showUid=362

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

looks sexy as hell in my opinion im sure getting one since they dont deliver those overpriced build in speakers (who uses them anyway) and theres also no thunderbolt along with other little features missing comparing to the lg one. seeing as i dont care about those features im happy that it will probably keep the price down (at least a bit)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3