A Good Argument Against Crowdfunding (Potato Salad)

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, this is good video that brings a good argument to the direction crowdfunding really has taken, I don't fully agree on everything he says but he makes a lot of good points.

Also WARNING: Strong language, if you're one of THOSE people.

Im for things such as Patreon and Kickstarter If they are a small business and have a hard time making videos with the youtube ad revenue by itself
Such as Gopher who makes mods and youtube videos and are not big enough to survive by youtube alone.
But not if it is something as potato salad and some Big company or big youtube channel want it.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I am not sorry for idiots who have too much money, but i am sorry for those who would really need it, so some restrictions should apply.

Oh, yay, sofa analytics!

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Not even having watched the video, they're wrong.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Not even having watched the video, they're wrong.

You can't really say someones wrong without even listening to what they have to say.

My problem with crowdfunding is that it removes the responsibility a person/company would have had if the money had come from investers. Crowdfunding also means that the person/company gets to keep the whole cake, insted of just a part of it, while still getting the startup money.

Sure, you might get a copy of a game, or whatever product you crowdfunded. But if I had crowdfunded Microsoft, and all I got was a T-shirt and a copy of MS-DOS, I would be pretty pissed, seeing how rich the founders got.  

As for the video. I don't really care if people throw their money at something stupid. People should be able to use their money to whatever purpose they want. And I should be able to not use my money on potatosalad. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

You can't really say someones wrong without even listening to what they have to say.

and thats the issue with 90% of people. form their opinion before hearing both sides. cant blame @Yoinkerman, so many people do it, probably with out meaning to. I for one am extremely for crowd funding. I think its great. Ill edit in my opinion after watching the video

edit: he has a pretty radical view against it. has some very solid points, I don't mind kickstarter because its just another form of helping small companies or individuals. nothing says you have to. so it in no way affects you if you don't want it to. 

As for the video. I don't really care if people throw their money at something stupid. People should be able to use their money to whatever purpose they want. And I should be able to not use my money on potatosalad. 

The problem being however, if someone has something really brilliant and well-crafted to bring to the table it's over-shadowed by stupid things like potato salad. Steam is having the same issue with Greenlight, a lot of the time it's easy to just say people can do whatever they want with their money but it affects a lot more than just that particular thing. Even with all that, it's even against Kickstarter rules for things like that yet they don't remove it, no idea why, but it promotes more of these to start appearing and take away the attention of better things.

The problem being however, if someone has something really brilliant and well-crafted to bring to the table it's over-shadowed by stupid things like potato salad. Steam is having the same issue with Greenlight, a lot of the time it's easy to just say people can do whatever they want with their money but it affects a lot more than just that particular thing. Even with all that, it's even against Kickstarter rules for things like that yet they don't remove it, no idea why, but it promotes more of these to start appearing and take away the attention of better things.

That is of course the slippery slope we could see, but untill we see it, I will not assume it. 

And to be honest Kickstart, IndieGoGo and other crowdfunding sites already had a lot of stupid content. It was just that nobody was funding it. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Ok so I watched it.  It has nothing to do with the potato salad kickstarter.  Like the honorable Ryan Shrout once said, I'll spend $10 on just about anything to be entertained.  People are spending a couple dollars to be entertained.  If a bite of potato salad shows up in the mail?  Even better.

and thats the issue with 90% of people. form their opinion before hearing both sides. cant blame @Yoinkerman, so many people do it, probably with out meaning to. I for one am extremely for crowd funding. I think its great. Ill edit in my opinion after watching the video

edit: he has a pretty radical view against it. has some very solid points, I don't mind kickstarter because its just another form of helping small companies or individuals. nothing says you have to. so it in no way affects you if you don't want it to. 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Ok so I watched it.  It has nothing to do with the potato salad kickstarter.  Like the honorable Ryan Shrout once said, I'll spend $10 on just about anything to be entertained.  People are spending a couple dollars to be entertained.  If a bite of potato salad shows up in the mail?  Even better.

You didn't watch it then, it does have to do with the potato salad kickstarter. The bigger picture of it is that crowdfunding is a bad idea which I don't entirely agree on. My point is that stupid crap like said potato salad kickstarter is bad for crowdfunding as a whole and is a good way to make it lose all credibility for anyone with an actual idea that could benefit someone to see such recognition. Also where do people find entertainment in giving away $10 for no reason? So if you just toss $10 on the ground you are entertained by that?

It's not up to you(or him) to define what's entertaining or not.  Raging against the machine isn't that unheard of either.

Half the video isn't even about kickstarter, and most of the kickstarter stuff doesn't even apply to the potato salad kickstarter.

:o i love buckley xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It's not up to you(or him) to define what's entertaining or not.  Raging against the machine isn't that unheard of either.

Half the video isn't even about kickstarter, and most of the kickstarter stuff doesn't even apply to the potato salad kickstarter.

You are avoiding everything I am talking about and only nitpicking at specific points. Whether it be entertainment or not, it has an impact on the entire system as a whole and it's a very negative one that could cascade into the loss of any crowdfunding in the future. Secondly, the bigger picture as I said was about crowdfunding as a whole, not specifically kickstarter or the potato salad. His points he brings up however on the topics are ones I agree with not necessarily his entire point of view.