best value thin and light/ultrabook

Beefmaster

Hey, I am looking for a new laptop becuase my old laptop is 8 years old and I felt it was time to upgrade.

I am in Australia.

My needs:

8 hours of battery life

Core i7

Min of 256gb storage

8gbs of ram

And a standard keyboard(no strange keys or features)

Has to weight under 1.5kg preferably under 1kg

Would like:

Backlight

IPS panel

Maybe a dedicated graphics card but I don't think will get that good battery life with it

Is this possible and I would.liek for under 1800 Australian not including shipping.

Thanks in advance.

Asus UX301

Macbook Pro Retina

Sony Vaio Pro 13

Acer Aspire S7 (newest model)

Interested in Business and Technology

A MacBook Pro with Retina display meets all those requirements perfectly, although you may have to go with the higher end MacBook Pro in order to get a dedicated GPU...

It's as if you copied the features of the rMBP and posted it here to ask for suggestions.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

But the i7 is a quad and the i5 is a dual :(

If you're going to blow that much on a Laptop might as well go for a quad :P

But the i7 is a quad and the i5 is a dual :(

If you're going to blow that much on a Laptop might as well go for a quad :P

Nope, the i5s in the Retina MacBook Pro (the 15 inch obviously, you can't have quadcore on the 13" cuz of TDP) are QM processors, therefore quad-core.

@Beefmaster Ultrabooks don't come with discrete GPUs (not ones that make sense anyways). For very low TDP, you want to use Intels integrated graphics that perform much better than anything you could get with the same TDP from either red or green team.

Now the question is if you want a VERY light machine (you said 1KG O.o) or if a light machine like the retina MacBook Pro is good for you.

If you want to have a very light and well-performing machine, get a MacBook Air (13"). However, if you think a bit more weight (we are still talking way below 2KG) and more performance is better, the the 13" retina MacBook Pro is the way to go.

TBH, the 13" rMBP is the best option for you imo because its just so far ahead the Air in everything, being only a little bit heavier. I know they are all expensive, but this is the best option.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Nope, the i5s in the Retina MacBook Pro (the 15 inch obviously, you can't have quadcore on the 13" cuz of TDP) are QM processors, therefore quad-core.

There is no such thing as an i5 QM according to Intel ARK. The highest TDP one is the 4200H which is a Dual Core. So therefore the i5s in the 15" laptops are not quad cores.

So I stand by my original statement.

But the best choice if it needs to be thin and light is the 13" rMBP as you said, not the 13" MBA.

There is no such thing as an i5 QM according to Intel ARK. The highest TDP one is the 4200H which is a Dual Core. So therefore the i5s in the 15" laptops are not quad cores.

So I stand by my original statement.

But the best choice if it needs to be thin and light is the 13" rMBP as you said, not the 13" MBA.

Oh oops. My bad. The bottom line 15" rMBP has an i7. You're right then. That is probably part of why it costs $1,999 :D

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz