Should i get a 7.1 Sound Card

matto97

Im getting a Razer Tiamat 7.1 and i have a HP Pavilion Desktop with on board sound card that does support 7.1 but i was wonding if i should get a dedicated sound card and if it would be better. All i have is $60 Australian and yeah would need to be $60 max and preferably from australia

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Nope. I was an idiot and bought one. It doesn't make a big enough noticeable difference for the money. Spend it on something better.

OK well thanks for the help guys

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

No dont do it.  Get a good mobo which supports 7.1 DDSS instead.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

Not if you already have the functionality, not worth it.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Yeah this HP is only 2 months old and the sound quality is pretty good cause i already have a 5.1 surround set up with my speakers but it does support 7.1

Yeah this HP is only 2 months old and the sound quality is pretty good cause i already have a 5.1 surround set up with my speakers but it does support 7.1

Hi , the Tiamat 7.1 is true surround so you don't need a sound card , instead , buy a DAC like Fiio E10 . 

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB

I'm just going to make a last plead for your health, and that is to not get a Razer audio product. 

I'm just going to make a last plead for your health, and that is to not get a Razer audio product. 

Why... My friend has one and he loves it best thing he has used yet 

Hi , the Tiamat 7.1 is true surround so you don't need a sound card , instead , buy a DAC like Fiio E10 . 

Um, the E10 only supports stereo, and thus wont drive a "true surround" headset like the Tiamat. It'd work fine for virtual surround pushed into stereo headphones, but the Tiamat has 8 channel inputs.

People always use this logic, "the best thing X person has used yet." So? A Mac pro could be the best thing many people have used, but that doesn't mean it's the best option in the price range or use-case.

Like a girl who thinks her bf's dick is big because it's the only one she's had.

Um, the E10 only supports stereo, and thus wont drive a "true surround" headset like the Tiamat. It'd work fine for virtual surround pushed into stereo headphones, but the Tiamat has 8 channel inputs.

So? Just get 4x E10, and crossfire all of them, to get dat 8 channel true surround....

*trolling of course.....:P

Depends on his history. Put it this way, if all the video I've ever see in my live is 320p web videos, then the 480p would come as a shock for me, and I'd swear the 480p video is the best there is in the whole wide world. Although all people say 480p videos are crap, I'd stick with my opinion that they're the best of the best of the best. What happens next, 720p videos will be a divine revelation to me, and 1080p will simply cause me to drop dead on the spot.....well, something like that, you get the idea....:)

don't buy it, if it sounds great for you without a soundcard,  don't buy a soundcard. Every modern motherboard makes soundcards usually pointless... except for the cheap stuff, they most likely need a soundcard :P

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

Don't waste money for "gaming headsets". Buy a good par of audiophile headphones and you will get MUCH better quality for the same price.

And if you really want surround, then go for Razer Surround software, which works with any headphone and is free.

Don't waste money for "gaming headsets". Buy a good par of audiophile headphones and you will get MUCH better quality for the same price.

And if you really want surround, then go for Razer Surround software, which works with any headphone and is free.

at the moment it's free , grab it now !

CPU: Intel i5-4670K CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1 Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz 16GB Storage:  Samsung 850 evo 250GB ,1TB WD BLUE, Seagate Barracuda 2TB GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX970 4GB Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair AX760 Full Modular Monitor: Dell 23" S2340L IPS Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Mouse: Logitech G502(w/ Mi Metal Mousepad) Headphone: Audio Technica ATH-M50/MSR-7 Speaker: Edifier Studio 7 R2730DB