First Mod Project

chd176

This is my first attempt at any modding/custom painting. Also this is just my second time doing a liquid cooling loop. I'm quite proud of what I've accomplished I know it's not much and I still have a few ghetto things I need to address. I'm getting new rad fans and a new PSU next week. (Corsair SP120s and EVGA 1,000 watt PSU)

My specs are as follows,

Corsair 650D case

MSI Z77 MPower Motherboard

Intel i5 3570K Ivy Bridge (stock for now yet to OC)

16 GB Patriot Vier 3 DDR3 1600mhz RAM

120GB Samsung 840 SSD

Western Digital 1TB mechanical drive

1 old DVR-RW drive

Raidmax 530 watt PSU (soon to be replaced by EVGA G1 1,000 watt PSU)

XSPC dual 120mm rad

Phobia 250 res black nickel

EK black nickle compression fittings

EVGA GTX770 ACX SC with EK full cover nickle plexi

EK backplate custom painted with a blue stripe

EK Supreme LTX CSQ CPU block

3/8"ID x 1/2"OD primochill LTR tubing

Swiftech MCP350 pump

Mayhems Blueberry Blue coolant

2 Antec 120mm fans for the rad (soon to be replaced with Corsair SP120s)

1 Corsair SP120

1 stock Corsair 200mm fan

Thanks for taking the time to look! If you had any advice or anything feel free to comment and let me know! :D

post-20465-0-58386400-1405132871_thumb.j

post-20465-0-60055400-1405132899_thumb.j

post-20465-0-30813200-1405132930_thumb.j

post-20465-0-05811000-1405132949_thumb.j

post-20465-0-58386400-1405132871_thumb.j

post-20465-0-60055400-1405132899_thumb.j

post-20465-0-30813200-1405132930_thumb.j

post-20465-0-05811000-1405132949_thumb.j

HotDiggity damn, that's awesome

Diamond 5 in League :)

tumblr_mi8fjgNCg01rfkogxo1_500.gif

That's awesome!

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

looks great for a first timer!

I highly recommend changing the crap NZXT lighting strip. Use some bitfenix alchemy strips or buy the NZXT Hue. MUCH better even lighting and brightness. It will make the build look even better.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I may do that with my 290x backplate, except with yellow to match my z97 m power.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I may do that with my 290x backplate, except with yellow to match my z97 m power.

Yeah I actually removed the covers the the heatsinks and removed them from the MB and painted them. Talk about being nervous! Lol

looks great for a first timer!

I highly recommend changing the crap NZXT lighting strip. Use some bitfenix alchemy strips or buy the NZXT Hue. MUCH better even lighting and brightness. It will make the build look even better.

Thanks! I was actually thinking about going with the bitfenix before I got the NZXT but I figured it'd be better than what it turned out to be. I'll put that on my "to-do list" after I get my new PSU and fans in. I originally had cold cathode lighting but it's so hard to hide the inverter and wiring in the 650D it's full as it is now lol.

Yeah I actually removed the covers the the heatsinks and removed them from the MB and painted them. Talk about being nervous! Lol

Thanks! I was actually thinking about going with the bitfenix before I got the NZXT but I figured it'd be better than what it turned out to be. I'll put that on my "to-do list" after I get my new PSU and fans in. I originally had cold cathode lighting but it's so hard to hide the inverter and wiring in the 650D it's full as it is now lol.

Yeah I went through two of those cheap NZXT lights and it was a horrible experience :( I really wanted a way to turn the lights off since my PC is on 24/7/365 so I finally got the NZXT hue and it was way better. The problem was that I needed white lighting for my white build, and RGB white looks like crap so recently I modded my Hue to work with bitfenix LED strips :) Now I can control my bitfenix LED strip lighting :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I love that color of blue :) very nice job.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Yeah I went through two of those cheap NZXT lights and it was a horrible experience :( I really wanted a way to turn the lights off since my PC is on 24/7/365 so I finally got the NZXT hue and it was way better. The problem was that I needed white lighting for my white build, and RGB white looks like crap so recently I modded my Hue to work with bitfenix LED strips :) Now I can control my bitfenix LED strip lighting :D

Yeah, this was my first time with LED lighting and I went with something safe haha. I leave mine on 24/7 also but I could easily wire a quick push button PCI bracket for the bitfinix I'm sure I did that with my cold cathode after the cheap one they sent with it was broken before it even got installed.

I love that color of blue :) very nice job.

Thanks! My friend actually helped convince me of the color lol. I was going to go with a uv blue but he said he liked the pastel blueberry blue better. I'm so glad I decided to go with it, looks so much nicer in person than I thought it would and it really stands out against the black with my blue/black color scheme. If anyone else has Mayhems blueberry blue and you want to color match other parts go with rust-oleum satin oasis blue. It took me a lot of trial and error to match up the coolant with a paint color as it's quite a unique blue. The oasis blue really is a good match for it though I'm extremely happy with the results.

Nice except for the yellow on the fans but they're getting replaced so yeah :)

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I like the shade of that blue. I think some sort of accenting on the RAM heatsinks is needed, though.

I like the shade of that blue. I think some sort of accenting on the RAM heatsinks is needed, though.

I'm actually going to add another 16GB of patriot ram. Overkill I know but I wanted to keep it blue and black lol. This is what I'll be using for the other 2 DIMM slots

516nt4cZYtL.jpg

I'm actually going to add another 16GB of patriot ram. Overkill I know but I wanted to keep it blue and black lol. This is what I'll be using for the other 2 DIMM slots

Oh yeah, that works too. May as well if you have open DIMMs.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to this thread, finally got around to replacing my PSU and the fans, I went with Corsair SP120s LED version (this gets expensive lol). I've yet to replace the LED strips, it's on my "to-do list" along with sleeving my cables. I experimented with my old PSU and I finally think I'm comfortable enough to tackle it. Just waiting on the sleeving to arrive. Here's what it looks like atm. PS, ignore the stray sata cable I'm sadly having some issues atm with a dying 1 tb mechanical drive (long live SSDs!)

post-20465-0-29373100-1407984786_thumb.j

post-20465-0-76427800-1407984809_thumb.j

post-20465-0-35196000-1407984889_thumb.j

post-20465-0-52171500-1407984960_thumb.j

Get SilverStone ap123 fans, quieter than nf-f12 and cheaper and match your build

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Get SilverStone ap123 fans, quieter than nf-f12 and cheaper and match your build

I looked at those before I got the SP120's I just didn't like how "cheap" they looked to me. If I had to purchase again I'd probably go with the non LED version of the SP120s like I have for my rear exhaust fan. That blue ring matches perfectly with color scheme also. Honestly I can't hear any of my fans above my mechanical drive.

Aww yisss

That is awesome!

CPU: Intel i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig H5 Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme4  RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB GPU: Powercolor R9 390 PCS+

Case Fans: 3X Phobya NB-Eloop 120mm in front + 1X Noiseblocker BlackSilentPRO 140mm, rear HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair CX600M  Case: Corsair Air 540 ODD: LG Supermulti (Yeah whatever)  Monitors: LG25UM55-P, LG 22EN43

I looked at those before I got the SP120's I just didn't like how "cheap" they looked to me. If I had to purchase again I'd probably go with the non LED version of the SP120s like I have for my rear exhaust fan. That blue ring matches perfectly with color scheme also. Honestly I can't hear any of my fans above my mechanical drive.

Ah yeah, didn't see that you got new fans. How do the ap123 look cheap? They look good and dandy to me, and feel very strong.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Aww yisss

That is awesome!

Thanks! I put a lot of time and effort into this project it was my first time doing something like this too, I'm fairly happy with the results :D

Ah yeah, didn't see that you got new fans. How do the ap123 look cheap? They look good and dandy to me, and feel very strong.

I think it's just because I painted one of my stock fans and sleeved the cable and it looks very similar to the ap123 tbh lol.

post-20465-0-99233800-1408035482_thumb.j

I think it's just because I painted one of my stock fans and sleeved the cable and it looks very similar to the ap123 tbh lol.

IMG_5511.JPG

Ah yeah, looks very similar to my avatar