7.1 Headset compared to Stereo Headphones.

MPX309

So since I pretty much just run my GPU fan at 100 percent now I've been using my Sehnneiser HD 25s to listen to games, and they do sound brilliant, but they're not gaming headphones, I was just wondering if it's worth getting 7.1 headset?

I have the TB PX21s, but I don't like the sound of those, they don't sound anywhere near as accurate as the Sehnneisers, too boomy and distorted, but I'm contemplating getting a new headset, just not sure which ones? Don't have alot to spend either, maybe £50?

thanks 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

No, its not worth buying a gaming headset

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

A good stereo headphones with wide soundstage (mostly open headphones) is the way to go. You can always just download Razer's virtual audio if the game itself doesn't have surround built-in. 7.1 Headsets are a waste of money.

So since I pretty much just run my GPU fan at 100 percent now I've been using my Sehnneiser HD 25s to listen to games, and they do sound brilliant, but they're not gaming headphones, I was just wondering if it's worth getting 7.1 headset?

I have the TB PX21s, but I don't like the sound of those, they don't sound anywhere near as accurate as the Sehnneisers, too boomy and distorted, but I'm contemplating getting a new headset, just not sure which ones? Don't have alot to spend either, maybe £50?

thanks

Having more than one driver arranged in a headset to give 'positional' awareness does not work. We have two ears and we perceive the direction of a sound by relative volumes and delays of a sound reaching our ears. Better software like razer's virtual 7.1 may help.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Ok thanks, I'll just stick to how I'm rolling now. :)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Having more than one driver arranged in a headset to give 'positional' awareness does not work. We have two ears and we perceive the direction of a sound by relative volumes and delays of a sound reaching our ears. Better software like razer's virtual 7.1 may help.

This is what I was thinking all along. 5.1 and 7.1 are definitely better than 2.1, but only when implemented on a speaker system, in a decent acoustic room. Implementing them in 2 cups of a headset, in order to achieve surround, in theory would be worse than being surrounded by 6 or 8 speakers in a 50cm diameter radius (surrounding you like a standing coffin :) )

I'm wondering if those surround headset companies actually 'hitchhiked' the popularity of 5.1 and 7.1 speaker systems, for their marketing, of course....

This is what I was thinking all along. 5.1 and 7.1 are definitely better than 2.1, but only when implemented on a speaker system, in a decent acoustic room. Implementing them in 2 cups of a headset, in order to achieve surround, in theory would be worse than being surrounded by 6 or 8 speakers in a 50cm diameter radius (surrounding you like a standing coffin :) )

I'm wondering if those surround headset companies actually 'hitchhiked' the popularity of 5.1 and 7.1 speaker systems, for their marketing, of course....

Of course they do. "7.1 surround" is nothing but a marketing buzzword when it comes to headphones.

I honestly don't understand how multi-driver headphones are supposed to work; as you say it seems like cramming the drivers into one earcup would remove all directionality.

It's not worth swithing just for the sake of surround. You can take surround ones when you will be already switching.