Wireless Charging in Teslas?

Hopeful as I am, i was browsing the tesla website and admiring the works of art they have there when i remember back to a video Linus did about a wireless charging mat for phones.

Tesla cars can plug in pretty much anywhere an outlet is, charging at home or on the go or at one of the many charging stations.

But wouldn't it be easier, to just drive into your garage and leave the car there, and to trust the mat built into the floor to charge your car efficiently?  It got me thinking, and with the recent Solar Roadways being disproven as useful, would it be possible or beneficial to slap some wireless chargers on the tarmac. Eventually, as more electric cars surface and more people convert, simply driving your car on the road would charge it, never to run out of fuel. 

Its just an idea, but i did some research around and found some articles regarding charging public buses in South Korea (always ahead of the curve) and the UK. 

http://www.wired.com/2013/08/induction-charged-buses/

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-25621426

Any Ideas? 

Cars already take too long to charge with a wire.

You do realise how much damn power you need to charge a car? It would be sooooooooooooooooooo wasteful to charge a car wirelessly and it would probably be dangerous too.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Battery tech needs to improve more for this to be effective. On top of that, your throwing alotttttt of power into the air with wireless charging(for a dam car). Your still better off with wires.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

It would be extremely wasteful and on top of that wireless charging mats for phones require CONTACT, and the ground clearance on a Tesla is already quite high, depending on where you set it ;).

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It would be extremely wasteful and on top of that wireless charging mats for phones require CONTACT, and the ground clearance on a Tesla is already quite high, depending on where you set it ;).

From http://www.wired.com/2013/08/induction-charged-buses/

"With a 6.7-inch gap between the road and the bus, there’s 85 percent charging efficiency at 100 kW from the road to the bus."

Start around 3:45 if you just want to see the charger. It's not wireless, but rises out of the ground and turns on only when the pod needs it.

There's a really cool documentary on Masdar City. I can't remember the name, I think just City of the Future. There's also a bloomberg brink 20min special on it on Netflix.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

This could get mainstream when its all over the place charging as we drive around 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

"With a 6.7-inch gap between the road and the bus, there’s 85 percent charging efficiency at 100 kW from the road to the bus."

If the tech gets good enough. Id rather just go around back and plug it in to get the100%. and Its not how much gets wasted, its the extra time that would bother me. I dont want 30 hours to charge my car

Cars already take too long to charge with a wire.

At night, the car would sit idle and charge at home, but receive 'boosters' from the road. In the South Korean article, the boosters are not constant across the entire road but at certain stops where the bus would stop naturally, at stoplights etc.  

If the tech gets good enough. Id rather just go around back and plug it in to get the100%. and Its not how much gets wasted, its the extra time that would bother me. I dont want 30 hours to charge my car

9 Hours from 240v wall outlet, alot less for mounted home wall connector

UmMusQ5.jpg

You do realise how much damn power you need to charge a car? It would be sooooooooooooooooooo wasteful to charge a car wirelessly and it would probably be dangerous too.

Battery tech needs to improve more for this to be effective. On top of that, your throwing alotttttt of power into the air with wireless charging(for a dam car). Your still better off with wires.

Tesla has plans :D 

Currently it would be wasteful using natural gas to power electric cars but with the rise in cleaner, practically infinite energy we can at least hope. 

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Oh and If you get a tesla, SolarCity gives you a grand off your solar panel setup. 

http://solar.solarcity.com/tesla/

Oh and If you get a tesla, SolarCity gives you a grand off your solar panel setup. 

http://solar.solarcity.com/tesla/

I'm quite aware, I'm a former investor in Tesla. 

I've got holdings in SCTY as we speak. *working right now*

L1rzyAr.gif

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Oh, I apologize, I meant how making it wireless will make it take much longer

Oh okay,

I didn't see any mention of this in the articles, but I doubt that the buses are being charged wireless when they are docked for the day. Its more probable that you charge your car at home, wired, and then use the wireless capability while out-and-about. If the majority of the roadway was wireless, than the need for large containment batteries might cease. 

i think that charging a tesla without wires is just not worth it maybe at home if the efficiency of the charging proces would get to like around 95% at least. cause the infrastructure and all the other problems related makes this a pain to do it in the city and its just to complicated. at home maybe but lets face it there's no point spending more money on the charging mat just to save yourself from pluging the charger in. its not a hastle so the wireless charging thing makes no sense until the technology becomes so cheap that it will  be like 20$.im not against it cause it would be cool to see this but from a financial and engineering standpoint its just not worth it at least now. btw i dont really see a point in charging the tesla on the go i dont think anyone does more than 200miles a day in the city and if you drive long distances than the tesla is just not for u the battery technology just isnt there yet. and if u drive around the city the battery's will be more than enough for one day and charge it up during the night.

85 is terrible. You do realize that, right? And Teslas have much higher ground clearance than that.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

85 is terrible. You do realize that, right? And Teslas have much higher ground clearance than that.

im sure that tesla could modify / create an all-new design just for the concept of wireless charging. And im kind of imagining this scenario where renewable energy has mostly entirely replaced oil / natural gas; energy would be in abundance and relatively cheap.

im sure that tesla could modify / create an all-new design just for the concept of wireless charging. And im kind of imagining this scenario where renewable energy has mostly entirely replaced oil / natural gas; energy would be in abundance and relatively cheap.

It is a beautiful future. Imagine, all power coming from solar. We could plaster the Sahara with it and pump the African economies full of money in the process to help them along. So much energy that we couldn't possibly use it all and we start making things like heated anti-fog sunglasses and stuff. 

B)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /