RocketSkates let you zip along the sidewalk at a top speed of 12MPH

Dietrichw

Source

ACTON_R-6.jpg

rocketskates04.jpg

Let's nip your enthusiasm right in the bud: No, these motorized skates you see above aren't actually powered by rockets. Now hold on, don't close the browser tab just yet. Just launched on Kickstarter, Acton's RocketSkates do have a rather misleading name. But they're actually quite the improvement over the Spnkix, the company's previous effort at a pair of motorized skates (which, incidentally, unceremoniously crashed our podcast stage during CES 2013). Unlike the Spnkix, the RocketSkates are about six pounds lighter, have four hub motors instead of two, are 15 percent smaller and can zoom up to 12 miles per hour. Oh, and most notably, the RocketSkates don't require a remote to operate. That's right; just like regular skates, these motorized puppies can let you zip around the sidewalk completely hands-free.

It comes with either a large or small foot plate depending on the size of your feet. You'll also have to decide which foot you want to be your lead skate; the lead tells the other skate what to do. To accelerate, simply tilt forward, and to slow down, just tilt back on your heels. Think of them as mini Segways for your feet. Peter Treadway, Acton's co-founder and CTO, says they take a little while to get used to, though he says those new to skating could find it pretty easy to learn. There's an onboard microprocessor in each one and both are powered by a lithium-ion battery pack.

The RocketSkates comes in three models -- the R-6 lasts for 45 minutes or 6 miles and comes in "Rocket Red"; the R-8 lasts for 70 minutes or 8 miles and has a "Titanium Chrome" color; while the R-10 lasts for 90 minutes or 10 miles and is available in "Deep Space Black." A pair of skates takes about 90 or so minutes to charge. Acton's transportation designer, Jennifer Choy, gave us a bit of insight behind the RocketSkates unusual design. "The hexagon is represented in our brand, from our logo to our products ... The 'throttle'-like shape of a rocket converges to the logo. The button lighting up is meant to serve as an 'electric' flame." She adds, "the RocketSkates is meant to invoke the feeling of a futuristic, industrial vehicle."

If that sounds like an enticing proposition, you'll have to pay a pretty penny for it. The regular retail prices for these skates are $499 for the R-6, $599 for the R-8 and $699 for the R-10. Still, it appears several people do find it appealing enough to shell out a few bucks. A few hours into the 45-day Kickstarter and Acton has already sold out of its "Rocket Deal" where you could get a pair of the R-6 skates for $199 each. If you hurry, you can still snag a pair for around $100 to $200 off the retail price, and developers can grab the $499 pack if they want a chance to dig around the SDK. If the skates do reach their goal of $50,000, you can expect the first units to ship starting this September.

Motorized skates....I'm pretty sure this are actually designed by a traumatologist looking to get a few more rolled ankles and broken bones into his practice when it gets slow.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Cool. Now if only we could streamline this. Yes, Shadow's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the RocketSkates.

tumblr_static_a791ckses2880884occ0ss44o.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

This will spawn a new surge of Youtube videos with kids faceplanting into the pavement.

i don t see the problem...

natural selection at its best...

jk

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

You also get the look like the world lowest budget Transformer

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

i don t see the problem...

natural selection at its best...

jk

Now now, don't go all Darwin awards on us :P

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

It is a pretty cool idea, but these are the ugliest thing you could strap to your feet. You'd be better off with a pair of "cement shoes". :P

Also, 45 min isn't very long, is it?

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

It is a pretty cool idea, but these are the ugliest thing you could strap to your feet. You'd be better off with a pair of "cement shoes". :P

Also, 45 min isn't very long, is it?

you could get the 90 min version... and if you use it in your commute (you could instead of walking) you could charge it at work, etc...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB