Is this a notable overclock for ram?

Memory Scaling on Haswell:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

Linus's Video:

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

Make your own conclusions based on those articles, particularly the Anandtech one.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Ok then, I was wrong. I thought I remembered a video from Linus where he said it was hardly worth it to get faster memory. Maybe the timings he achieved weren't all that great.

No, he used 1600 CL 9, 1600 CL 8, 1866 10, and I think 2400 11 or 12. I wanted to facedesk.

If you're gonna compare RAM effects, you must use equal stepping of speed and latency, or even just do a latency differential on one speed.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

See if you can do 9-10-11-30 @ 2000MHz @ 1.65v then run the bench

I have serious doubts that'll end up stable. There's a reason 2000 MHz sticks are rare outside the server world.

And 1.65 at 2000? Isn't that a voltage reserved for 2133 and up? If he overvolts and melts the controller chip I officially put you in charge of that ;)

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Private Server 1/32 Players

Good test. Where's proper in game test. 64 man or no man. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Youre not going to melt anything. I ran Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz memory overclocked and at 1.65v for over a year. Have them in another rig running just fine

Corsair is an edge case. They actually do provide equally powerful controllers on all sticks, but they still bin the best tested for the 2400+ speed sticks. I did see someone push a 1333 stick all the way to 2800 MHz. That was impressive.

Good test. Where's proper in game test. 64 man or no man. 

If anything the results would be better with people in the server. Where it would be come even more CPU intensive.

Testing with people in a server would be a difficult and inaccurate. It would be hard to reproduce identical results unless you can get 64 people together on your own.

Corsair is an edge case. They actually do provide equally powerful controllers on all sticks, but they still bin the best tested for the 2400+ speed sticks. I did see someone push a 1333 stick all the way to 2800 MHz. That was impressive.

Most modern memory is pretty good these days for overclocking assuming you have a decent IMC. Ever hear of Samsung Wonder Ram?

If anything the results would be better with people in the server. Where it would be come even more CPU intensive.

Testing with people in a server would be a difficult and inaccurate. It would be hard to reproduce identical results unless you can get 64 people together on your own.

Most modern memory is pretty good these days for overclocking assuming you have a decent IMC. Ever hear of Samsung Wonder Ram?

I have two 4GB sticks of that stuff.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You should check the Overclock.net thread on it, people are doing some ridiculous overclocks on them. 

I'd like to get sinks for them. Incase they ever do feel like heating up.

It's not necessary at all with those sticks. They usual do ridiculous overclocks at low voltages so heat is a non issue to begin with. 

And with DDR4 the need for RAM cooling blocks should all but disappear. At 1.25 volts I can't imagine one overheating in an 80*F room.

I have serious doubts that'll end up stable. There's a reason 2000 MHz sticks are rare outside the server world.

And 1.65 at 2000? Isn't that a voltage reserved for 2133 and up? If he overvolts and melts the controller chip I officially put you in charge of that ;)

See if you can do 9-10-11-30 @ 2000MHz @ 1.65v then run the bench

Youre not going to melt anything. I ran Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz memory overclocked and at 1.65v for over a year. Have them in another rig running just fine

If you guys think that is a safe voltage I am willing to attempt it. The ram I have is this: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/gskill-ripjaws-8gb-2x-4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-desktop-memory-f312800cl9d8gbrl-aa65458?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0POdBRCq3arGgYD05pMBEiQAmiUeTtAOPMnklxmt35QztKpcd-Z0Kt6HpU-KTF50pDCiZ0caAjC28P8HAQ

It has a heatsink on it if that helps.

If you guys think that is a safe voltage I am willing to attempt it. The ram I have is this: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/gskill-ripjaws-8gb-2x-4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-desktop-memory-f312800cl9d8gbrl-aa65458?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0POdBRCq3arGgYD05pMBEiQAmiUeTtAOPMnklxmt35QztKpcd-Z0Kt6HpU-KTF50pDCiZ0caAjC28P8HAQ

It has a heatsink on it if that helps.

Ripjaws overclock real well, I would go for it. I wouldn't worry about it not being a safe voltage. People have been putting 1.65v into their memory for a long time. Worse case scenario is it's not stable.

Ripjaws overclock real well, I would go for it. I wouldn't worry about it not being a safe voltage. People have been putting 1.65v into their memory for a long time. Worse case scenario is it's not stable.

Ok so I'll try the clocks you gave me (9-10-11-30 @ 2000MHz @ 1.65v)

If it is stable should I try dropping the timings or raising the frequency?

very good overclock. but are you sure it's stable? should run a few days worth of stress tests. after 30 mins or so your ram will get about as hot as it's going to. so failing before 30 mins is very unstable.

Ok so I'll try the clocks you gave me (9-10-11-30 @ 2000MHz @ 1.65v)

If it is stable should I try dropping the timings or raising the frequency?

If it's stable I would try dropping the voltage (1.62v). Leave the timings probably not going to do better than that. Maybe 9-10-11-29 or 9-10-11-28. If it's not stable try 9-11-11-30. Just don't go over 1.65v. 

very good overclock. but are you sure it's stable? should run a few days worth of stress tests. after 30 mins or so your ram will get about as hot as it's going to. so failing before 30 mins is very unstable.

When you say good overclock which post are you referring to? 1866 at CL9 or 2000 at CL10

If it's stable I would try dropping the voltage (1.62v). Leave the timings probably not going to do better than that. Maybe 9-10-11-29 or 9-10-11-28. If it's not stable try 9-11-11-30. Just don't go over 1.65v. 

Nothing higher than 1.65v got it!

So I was able to achieve the overclock of 2000mhz @ 1.62v with the timings at 9 10 11 30. I have stress tested for about 15 minutes and have had no problems so far. I also benchmarked with AIDA64 and noticed a HUGE improvement in numbers.

Stock (XMP):

udoUUUv.png

Overclocked:

t15wP8O.png

So I just finished overclocking my ram (properly this time) and I was able to get it to 2000mhz @ 1.6volts with the timings at 10,10,10,30.

The ram was originally at 1600mhz @ 1.5 volts with the timings at 9,9,9,24. 

Would you guys consider this overclock to be an improvement? If not please tell me why and how I can improve it.

I would consider it an improvement. Now if you stress tested it and it is stable you might want to try tightening the timings for an even quicker response. You might consider 9-10-10-30-1 or 3 or 10-10-10-27-1 or 3.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I would consider it an improvement. Now if you stress tested it and it is stable you might want to try tightening the timings for an even quicker response. You might consider 9-10-10-30-1 or 3 or 10-10-10-27-1 or 3.

Well currently I am 100% stable but I can try turn them down. Also with the last timing what does it do? I didn't try changing it cause I didn't know what it did. 9 10 10 30 1 <-- this last one

Well currently I am 100% stable but I can try turn them down. Also with the last timing what does it do? I didn't try changing it cause I didn't know what it did. 9 10 10 30 1 <-- this last one

Dont change it, leave it at 2, changing it to 1 will only cause stability issues but not have any significant performance impact.