Shipping Things Sucks - RANT

Ok so I built a computer for a friend and shipped it to him. Before I did, the PC obviously worked 100% fine no issues. 

So he gets the computer 3 days later right? Now he doesn't have a monitor with HDMI yet, he's ordering one. So he tried using his TV. Which he noticed no signal was going through on the TV (He later tried his laptop and that worked perfectly fine). 

First problem, there's a crack throughout the hard foam that was holding the case in place in the box (meaning that someone obviously dropped the box).

Secondly, there is a DENT on the METAL, STURDY, SIDE PANEL, that PIERCED THROUGH the sound damping foam (Define R4 Case) which then knocked out one of the 4 CPU cooler screws (it was a CM 212 Evo) on the motherboard side of the case.

Thirdly, and I don't HOW this happened, but like 6 of the fins on the 212 Evo were bent (which isn't too much of a big deal, I'm confident at least that doesn't need to be replaced). BUT HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN!? IT'S IN THE CASE!

Finally, after I instructed him on how to take apart the GPU and 212 Evo, MULTIPLE pins on the CPU were bent. My guess is where the dent is on the side panel is where the CPU was and it somehow bent the pins in the CPU (can that even freaking happen!?) and knocked off the one screw on the 212 Evo (it's not really knocked off, it's just unscrewed....again, somehow). 

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you think his motherboard is damaged as well? (It IS a Gigabyte board and it is part of their UD series, there were no scratches, dents, cuts, cracks, etc on the motherboard. The only thing that we can tell that obviously needs to be replaced is the CPU). Everything else checks out ok. 

why would you ship the system with the CPU cooler installed?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

why would you ship the system with the CPU cooler installed?

How is the CPU cooler damaged in the first place? 

Which carrier shipped the system? ups? fedex? File a complaint and go from there.

wont the shipping insurance cover this?

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

You obviously did not wrap the entire case in bubble wrap...

What kind of shipping service did you use? Did you pay for the proper 'fragile' object shipping (usually the most expensive option) ?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Wow man, that is one crappy deal :(

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

How is the CPU cooler damaged in the first place? 

because you shipped it installed in the system instead if safely stored in it's retail box.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Did you pay for the proper 'fragile' object shipping (usually the most expensive option) ?

You mean the "feel free to throw this package off a moving vehicle" label?

If you took the shipping insurance, file a complaint. Hopefully you didn't just take the free $100 insurance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

because you shipped it installed in the system instead if safely stored in it's retail box.

1: I built the computer because obviously my friend didn't really know how to build computers. 

2: He lives across the US. So I can't personally help him install it later. 

3: It's an FX 8350. Do you HONESTLY want me to keep the stock cooler on it?

You obviously did not wrap the entire case in bubble wrap...

What kind of shipping service did you use? Did you pay for the proper 'fragile' object shipping (usually the most expensive option) ?

Because the hard foam should have been fine enough. The box was obviously physically dropped, as in, someone picked it up, and then dropped it on something hard. 

Try calling them and getting some money to fix the computer and bubble wrap the crap out of it and use super soft foam next time.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

I would file a complaint with whoever shipped it. Rip them a new one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1: I built the computer because obviously my friend didn't really know how to build computers. 

2: He lives across the US. So I can't personally help him install it later. 

3: It's an FX 8350. Do you HONESTLY want me to keep the stock cooler on it?

1&2: A 212 Evo is very simple to install, a look at the instructions and video chat help from you and your friend can install it just fine.

3: The stock cooler is 100% fine for the 8350 under normal operation. AMD wouldn't include the thing if it couldn't keep the chip cool under all conceivable use cases aside from overclocking.

Because the hard foam should have been fine enough. The box was obviously physically dropped, as in, someone picked it up, and then dropped it on something hard. 

NO! Never do that! The foam that cases are packaged in are only rated for the weight of the empty case! A full PC weighs a lot more than an empty case and is sure to break the packaging.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

NO! Never do that! The foam that cases are packaged in are only rated for the weight of the empty case! A full PC weighs a lot more than an empty case and is sure to break the packaging.

Lol what? It's not 100% sure to break the case, the foam was fine. SOMEONE DROPPED IT. There is a DENT in the METAL SIDE PANEL. What do you not understand about that dude? 

1&2: A 212 Evo is very simple to install, a look at the instructions and video chat help from you and your friend can install it just fine.

3: The stock cooler is 100% fine for the 8350 under normal operation. AMD wouldn't include the thing if it couldn't keep the chip cool under all conceivable use cases aside from overclocking.

It wasn't the easiest to install, was a tad annoying actually. Knowing my friend, he'd get irritated fast. The cooler takes a bit of fiddling around with to get it properly in. This isn't a Noctua cooler after all. 

He's going to be gaming, video editing, HD rendering, and possibly doing future animation...the 8350 would literally start to sweat with that stock cooler. 

Try calling them and getting some money to fix the computer and bubble wrap the crap out of it and use super soft foam next time.

Going to try that hopefully tomorrow. 

Lol what? It's not 100% sure to break the case, the foam was fine. SOMEONE DROPPED IT. There is a DENT in the METAL SIDE PANEL. What do you not understand about that dude? 

Packages always get dropped. You have to prepare for the worst that can possibly happen, not just hope for the best. This is how to properly pack a built PC:

Spoiler

I would file a complaint with whoever shipped it. Rip them a new one.

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Not like I have done it before... :ph34r:

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hard foam only lasts for 1 drop which is what Linus always complains about. And packages get dropped all the time. Assume your package will get dropped like 5 times if you're shipping across the country. The USPS employee that is earning minimum wage really doesn't care. I had an Ncase M1 shipped to me and this was just the case that's very light in it's original packaging with SOFT foam and the whole back of the case was bent. Also if you don't put a this side up arrow, they will most likely stack it on the side since it's easier to put it in a pile like that. If you're shipping something expensive always buy insurance because if you don't the carriers will either not cover it or only cover $50 or $100 of it depending on who the carrier is. You should have just told him to get someone else to build it for him. There are always guys on craigslist doing it as a last resort. Although those guys are usually not the smartest or the best. 

Edit: Also UPS and Fedex care more than the post office. The post office is cheaper for smaller items but you should go with one of the other ones for big items like a full system and insure it. 

Hard foam only lasts for 1 drop which is what Linus always complains about. And packages get dropped all the time. Assume your package will get dropped like 5 times if you're shipping across the country. The USPS employee that is earning minimum wage really doesn't care. I had an Ncase M1 shipped to me and this was just the case that's very light in it's original packaging with SOFT foam and the whole back of the case was bent. Also if you don't put a this side up arrow, they will most likely stack it on the side since it's easier to put it in a pile like that. If you're shipping something expensive always buy insurance because if you don't the carriers will either not cover it or only cover $50 or $100 of it depending on who the carrier is. You should have just told him to get someone else to build it for him. There are always guys on craigslist doing it as a last resort. Although those guys are usually not the smartest or the best. 

Edit: Also UPS and Fedex care more than the post office. The post office is cheaper for smaller items but you should go with one of the other ones for big items like a full system and insure it. 

Well luckily he said he doesn't mind paying for another CPU or motherboard, but I'm going to try and talk to the post office employees first. Also, UPS said they would have charged me 200 DOLLARS for STANDARD shipping. Not overnight, not one day, but STANDARD. 

Well luckily he said he doesn't mind paying for another CPU or motherboard, but I'm going to try and talk to the post office employees first. Also, UPS said they would have charged me 200 DOLLARS for STANDARD shipping. Not overnight, not one day, but STANDARD. 

Across the country and probably like $30 pounds? That would be my guess on how much it costs. Shipping is not cheap man. USPS probably earned $300 from me so far this year.