Speakers only playing High Frequency

Found these speakers at the local electronics dump (in bermuda) and as the majority of the stuff dumped there works rather well, I took them home. They worked perfectly for a couple months (ridiculously loud and rich, love emmm) but then, out of the blue, the bass cut out entirely and the speakers only play high frequency tunes. ive tested the amp, the cables and everything in between and every points to a flaw in the speakers.

i included some pictures of the speakers themselves and the back of the amp, just incase these help. 

http://imgur.com/a/ldurr

If anyone needs more information, ill be happy to give it. 

any ideas? 

So the low end doesn't come through both speakers? Could be something with the amp - didn't accidentally change any settings on the amp did you?

Sounds like the crossover in the speaker blew. Idk how you can fix this...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

isnt the amp, 2 other sets of speakers produce both low and high frequency with no issue :/ 

Well if it's a commen issue between both speakers, then it's got to be a problem with something else. If it was just one speaker not working properly I'd also think something's wrong with the filter, but BOTH speakers with the same problem at the same time? No way, Jose.

yep

Well if it's a commen issue between both speakers, then it's got to be a problem with something else. If it was just one speaker not working properly I'd also think something's wrong with the filter, but BOTH speakers with the same problem at the same time? No way, Jose.

it did happen at the same time, but ive tested the amp, cables and everything in between for any issues, and everything came up clean. after the test i rehitched the speakers to the amp; but still only high output. 

+1 for this

OP: so those big cones below don't move/vibrate at all? Possibly blown/leaked capacitors in the crossover circuit/PCB (inside the speaker box), as it's an old pair anyway. Bring them to an electronic service, or someone who can service electronic stuffs. If it's just 1-2 blown electronic parts, should be relatively cheap to fix (unless the guy rip you off)

If you wanna go DIY style, open the speakers' boxes, take out the circuit board inside, get your multitester, and test out the resistors and capacitors in the circuit board. You could search for videos on how to test for bad capacitors. With some luck, you could pinpoint which part is broken, and replace them.

Those are nice looking speakers, btw....:)

+1 for this

OP: so those big cones below don't move/vibrate at all? Possibly blown/leaked capacitors in the crossover circuit/PCB (inside the speaker box), as it's an old pair anyway. Bring them to an electronic service, or someone who can service electronic stuffs. If it's just 1-2 blown electronic parts, should be relatively cheap to fix (unless the guy rip you off)

If you wanna go DIY style, open the speakers' boxes, take out the circuit board inside, get your multitester, and test out the resistors and capacitors in the circuit board. You could search for videos on how to test for bad capacitors. With some luck, you could pinpoint which part is broken, and replace them.

Those are nice looking speakers, btw.... :)

Too bad the dust cones are imploded...

I hate when people do that to their speakers :( It makes me sad :C

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Too bad the dust cones are imploded...

I hate when people do that to their speakers :( It makes me sad :C

Probably the previous owner got some kids running around. I used to do that (push the dome, out of curiosity) when I was a kid, to my dad's speakers :P

He used a bit of transparent sticking tape (duct tapes got way too many glue) to pull it out. OP, you can try this as well, just be gentle, as the glue could potentially rip some materials off....

+1 for this

Those are nice looking speakers, btw.... :)

They don't move whatsoever. I do have a family member who is an electrician; so i could possibly get him to fix it. It like to avoid him though, he's rather aggravating. 

Probably the previous owner got some kids running around. I used to do that (push the dome, out of curiosity) when I was a kid, to my dad's speakers :P

He used a bit of transparent sticking tape (duct tapes got way too many glue) to pull it out. OP, you can try this as well, just be gentle, as the glue could potentially rip some materials off....

The domes were a little dented before the speakers stopped emitting lows. 

They don't move whatsoever. I do have a family member who is an electrician; so i could possibly get him to fix it. It like to avoid him though, he's rather aggravating. 

The domes were a little dented before the speakers stopped emitting lows. 

Ehhhh careful, electrician is not the same as electronician (is there such word? :P). Electrician usually deals with cruder parts and stuffs, while electronic circuits are much more brittle and vulnerable. Not saying he can't fix them (I don't even know the guy, lol), but just be a bit careful.

Yeah, there's no way that the dents in those domes caused the cone to stop working. The domes are mostly used to keep dusts out of the inner part of the center. Dents in the domes could cause the sound to be distorted a bit, but won't cause it to stop working....

Ehhhh careful, electrician is not the same as electronician (is there such word? :P). Electrician usually deals with cruder parts and stuffs, while electronic circuits are much more brittle and vulnerable. Not saying he can't fix them (I don't even know the guy, lol), but just be a bit careful.

Yeah, there's no way that the dents in those domes caused the cone to stop working. The domes are mostly used to keep dusts out of the inner part of the center. Dents in the domes could cause the sound to be distorted a bit, but won't cause it to stop working....

Yeah he is an electrician; wiring and whatnot. 

You found that at a DUMP? Remind me to go with you next time.

Its the bermudian dump, you can find complete desktops, cars and tons of other stuff thrown out for minor reasons. 

got all these speakers at dump, and passed by a few because amp cant fit anymore :D

2LUbL3X.jpg

All my speakers are perfect :) Never pushed them in myself.

post-4438-0-92393200-1404659171_thumb.jp

Spoiler