Nokia Lumia 1520...thoughts on

TristanK

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about what are your thoughts on Nokia Lumia 1520. I'm almost 100% that I'll be buying this phone within next two weeks. I watched tons of reviews on it and I am aware of the size(I've checked it out in a local store).

I just want to get some second opinions on this phone or as some call it phablet or tabphone or whatever it is people call it. So just tell me what you think about it. And please no WP/Android fanboy comments. I personally prefer WP, I miss some features that android has but, they re not an issue for me.

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Id say go for it, My dad has a 520 and he says the windows operating system is pretty good :D 

It's a ****ing smart phone.  I don't give a **** honestly.  I have a much older Nokia Windows phone and enjoyed using it but I will say even this new version you are looking at has a very sucky camera on the front of it.  I can't believe it isn't at least 3 MP or more in the year 2014.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I've been considering it myself, if you do go for it be sure to let us know how you like/dislike it

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Id say go for it, My dad has a 520 and he says the windows operating system is pretty good :D

I know the OS, I currently have an HTC WP 8s, it s just that I want nokia for their camera navigation and other awesome apps. And also my phone only has 4GB of internal storage so.....  On the other hand Lumia 1520 has 32GB internal storage plus micro SD slot for up to 64GB, not that I d need that much, but hey......you never know :)

It's a ****ing smart phone.  I don't give a **** honestly.  I have a much older Nokia Windows phone and enjoyed using it but I will say even this new version you are looking at has a very sucky camera on the front of it.  I can't believe it isn't at least 3 MP or more in the year 2014.

Well I don't think I ll be using that camera much, since I don't make any video calls and I definitely don't and wont take selfies. But I do use the main camera a lot and from what I've seen it makes some damn good photos and video recordings :)

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

I've been considering it myself, if you do go for it be sure to let us know how you like/dislike it

Will do ;)

Specs: 

Spoiler

If you have no issues with the OS and the size, then go for it. It's a well built phone with nice specs and ditto camera. I've been using WP myself for years now and I'm a little bit bored with it by now. So I'm looking to change to android. Perhaps if they can bridge the gap in the next year or so, I'll move back to them. 

Enjoy your phone! By the way, which color are you going for? 

It's okay, but you can't install any other browsers (right now), you're limited to 6 tabs in Internet Explorer (to "keep the Windows Phone experience the same across all devices"), and it's really limited in terms of what you can do (games, browsers, apps, etc.). And the camera's tend to suck on them (my mom's Lumia 520 has a decent camera, as I kinda show here using the Nokia camera app and a manual focus setting) and they are somewhat low-spec. But if you're okay with that, then they're actually a pretty great phone to use, in all honesty.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you have no issues with the OS and the size, then go for it. It's a well built phone with nice specs and ditto camera. I've been using WP myself for years now and I'm a little bit bored with it by now. So I'm looking to change to android. Perhaps if they can bridge the gap in the next year or so, I'll move back to them. 

Enjoy your phone! By the way, which color are you going for? 

I'm going for black. I like phones in Black, plus the black one is on sale for 320€ in free sales, so no binding to any network provider :D

It's okay, but you can't install any other browsers (right now), you're limited to 6 tabs in Internet Explorer (to "keep the Windows Phone experience the same across all devices"), and it's really limited in terms of what you can do (games, browsers, apps, etc.). And the camera's tend to suck on them (my mom's Lumia 520 has a decent camera, as I kinda show here using the Nokia camera app and a manual focus setting) and they are somewhat low-spec. But if you're okay with that, then they're actually a pretty great phone to use, in all honesty.

Cameras tend to suck? I don't understand you here. If the only nokia that you have seen photos taken on is lumia 520 than I undestand you and suggest you take a look at photo quality on Nokia 808 pureview, Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia Icon and Nokia Lumia 1520. As far as I and many others are concerned these phones have the best cameras by far in smartphone department.

Specs: 

Spoiler

The camera's on the high end devices of the Lumia series are indeed pretty much the best out there. It's weird people draw conclusions about WP based on their lower end devices. Nobody rants about low-end Chinese Android devices and draws conclusions about Android, right? 

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your phone. It may have some drawbacks and some features might not be on par with other operating systems, but it's still a very, very good phone. Keep me updated if it fits in your pockets by the way  :D

I'm going for black. I like phones in Black, plus the black one is on sale for 320€ in free sales, so no binding to any network provider :D

Cameras tend to suck? I don't understand you here. If the only nokia that you have seen photos taken on is lumia 520 than I undestand you and suggest you take a look at photo quality on Nokia 808 pureview, Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia Icon and Nokia Lumia 1520. As far as I and many others are concerned these phones have the best cameras by far in smartphone department.

It may have just been the lighting, but a picture my friend took with his 1020 was less than stellar.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It may have just been the lighting, but a picture my friend took with his 1020 was less than stellar.

I understand, but judging on 1 picture?...........I bet if you had some other high end phone and one of those nokias I wrote hand in hand for at least few days  and test the cameras taking multiple pictures and videos and playing with all the settings than you d see what I am taking about :) 

Don't get me wrong, some other phones have great cameras too, but seriously....nothing like these :)

Specs: 

Spoiler

I understand, but judging on 1 picture?...........I bet if you had some other high end phone and one of those nokias I wrote hand in hand for at least few days  and test the cameras taking multiple pictures and videos and playing with all the settings than you d see what I am taking about :)

Don't get me wrong, some other phones have great cameras too, but seriously....nothing like these :)

You want to send me one, be my guest. Just don't expect to get it back (I hate my current phone).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

You want to send me one, be my guest. Just don't expect to get it back (I hate my current phone).

which one are you using right now?

which one are you using right now?

A flip-hone (Aka ObamaPhone). :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Well I decided. I ordered the phone, should be comming sometime next week I will let you know how it preforms. Cant wait :D

Specs: 

Spoiler

The camera's on the high end devices of the Lumia series are indeed pretty much the best out there. It's weird people draw conclusions about WP based on their lower end devices. Nobody rants about low-end Chinese Android devices and draws conclusions about Android, right? 

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your phone. It may have some drawbacks and some features might not be on par with other operating systems, but it's still a very, very good phone. Keep me updated if it fits in your pockets by the way  :D

I got the phone today when I came from work :D. So my first impression was.........whoooaaa now that's a BIG phone :). First thing I did when I powered it on was installing developer preview and from that WP8.1 and all the updates for it.

Build: compact, extremely thin, for me easy to hold since I have big hands.

Performance: As far as the performance goes it s rock solid for now. Everything I ran, from camera, internet, video, games etc. ran smoothly. I noticed a phone heats up a bit around the camera, but it s really nothing extreme, quite normal heat up that I experienced on some other phones too, so nothing to worry about

Battery: I will update you on that since I need a lot more time for that.

Nokia system tweaks: I have noticed Nokia has a lot of custom settings that other WP don't.

First thing I noticed is that you can set a custom search engine (well more like preloaded) either Google or Bing. I personally love that, since I mostly use Google search engine.

The second thing I noticed is......let me first remind you...you know when every time you press any of the capacitive buttons the phone vibrates...well Nokia made it possible to disable vibration for capacitive buttons....really nice, I always wanted to do that :D.

There are some other small tweaks, but truthfully I haven't had the time to go through all of them yet.

Nokia Software: That s another thing why I absolutely love Nokia. They made all this awesome apps for their phones, it s just amazing how they always seem to know what we need :D. Camera apps offer some great functions and are easy and fun to use. Nokia drive which I just now tested works flawlessly. There is a lot of these apps, but as I said before, I just got the phone today so I didn't have time to test everything yet.

Overall from what I've seen so far the phone is just outstanding in every aspect from hardware to software. I'm really glad I bought it. I do still have to figure out how I will be carrying it around, since it's so big. I'm definitely not carrying it in my pockets since I heard lots of people broke the screen that way.

Specs: 

Spoiler

Ok so as I promised. A few updates. 

Battery life: at first it wasn't what I expected, but now after a few charges and optimizations it got a lot better. The battery now lasts about 2 days on moderate use (check few emails, listen to some music, a bit of messaging, few phone calls, installed some apps, taken a few pics), on heavy usage it lasts about a day (played asphalt 8, installed, removed some apps, watched internet tv, few calls, messaging, emails, taken a few pics)

Optimizations I did for the battery to last longer are as follows: disabled a lot of background apps that got enabled after I updated to 8.1, disabled capacitive keys vibration, screen brightness set to low if possible, glance screen set to peak and not always on, I disabled cortana (just because I have no use of her since it s not for my region and doesnt help me much that way and it does improve battery life :)). I think that is about it.

Also when you use headphones instead of speakers for phonecalls it seems to use less battery.

Specs: 

Spoiler