Learning Code (Yes Another One) :)

I have always been into hardware and am thus building a new rig. :) As I was reviewing the parts list and putting it together in my mind I began to think how much fun it would be to learn code on my new muti-monitor setup.

So here's my interests:

1. Modding games

2. Basic and eventually intermediate mobile app programming

3. Fun stuff :)

So here's my questions:

1. Where is the best place to start?

2. What applications will I need to start?

3. What language is best to start with based on my interests?

Thanks. :)

Do you know which language you want to learn? That really would be the place to start. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Part of what i'm not sure of is which language would be best to start with. 

GTA V is most likely written in C++ if you want to go that route.

GTA V is most likely written in C++ if you want to go that route.

Question: I know Skyrim is written in Papyrus. I just need to confirm isn't that a variant of C++?

Mobile Apps? Well, Objective-C for iOS and Java for Android. Java is nice, huge amount of resources online for it. Stackoverflow will be your best friend.

I started with Java, but I know a large amount of people also start with C++. My recommendation, is to first learn coding basics like algorithms and how a program works, and then start with actual code. C++ is probably the best one to learn if you want to mess around with games, as quite a few of them are written in that language. If you want to mess around with Android Dev then go with Java, if you want IOS Dev then look into Objective-C/Swift.  

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

Question: I know Skyrim is written in Papyrus. I just need to confirm isn't that a variant of C++?

No, monocotyl plants, like the papyrus plant, are written in DNA. (unlike retroviruses, which are written in RNA) :-)

In terms of modding games, It really comes down to the game. A frequent theme in games, like garry's mod, is to have support for lua scripting, so maybe lua?

I've been told by a CS person to look into Scala. Scala sounds interesting because it compiles to java byte code which is then run by the Java virtual machine.

Mobile Apps? Well, Objective-C for iOS and Java for Android. Java is nice, huge amount of resources online for it. Stackoverflow will be your best friend.

Swift > Obj C.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Swift > Obj C.

That's not saying much.

From what I've looked at I'll still be doing all my iOS coding in Objective-C.

Either way they're both terrible starter languages. Objective-C just because it's awful and Swift is too new and there aren't enough resources out there yet for a beginner.

That's not saying much.

From what I've looked at I'll still be doing all my iOS coding in Objective-C.

Either way they're both terrible starter languages. Objective-C just because it's awful and Swift is too new and there aren't enough resources out there yet for a beginner.

What would you suggest?

Depends what language. Microsoft released some really good C# tutorials. I learned from there.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Fundamentals-for-Absolute-Beginners

Do you have any examples of any programs and what not that you have made? I'm really interested but I'm not at all sure if this could do more than teach me how to make very basic things, or if it would allow me to figure out my own tricks to expand upon what this teaches and make a decent prototype video game or versatile application.

What would you suggest?

If you're looking at making Android apps, like others have said, Java would be the best.

If it was iOS apps, start with C++. A lot of an iOS app can be coded in C/C++ with Objective-C only being used when necessary.

For basic programming I would suggest Python but it wouldn't be useful for either of the goals you mentioned.

Do you have any examples of any programs and what not that you have made? I'm really interested but I'm not at all sure if this could do more than teach me how to make very basic things, or if it would allow me to figure out my own tricks to expand upon what this teaches and make a decent prototype video game or versatile application.

No, I don't have any programs that I've made. But once you learn C# you can do anything you want.

To implement into the gaming environment, I recommend these tutorials:

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting

If you're looking at making Android apps, like others have said, Java would be the best.

If it was iOS apps, start with C++. A lot of an iOS app can be coded in C/C++ with Objective-C only being used when necessary.

For basic programming I would suggest Python but it wouldn't be useful for either of the goals you mentioned.

Completely agree. Also noting android with it's NDK.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Skyrim itself isn't written using Papyrus, and Papyrus isn't a variant of C++. Papyrus is a scripting language which is interpreted within the Skyrim codebase. It exists as a simpler way to program events and control the world, removing the need of the creator to worry about some of the nitty gritty aspects of game programming (that's a terrible explanation lol). The devs also used Papyrus to create all of the events, quests, interactions, etc. the player can interact with.

It is common practice in game development to use a scripting language as a "middle man", to simplify/speed up the process of creating game stuff.

Skyrim itself is most likely also written in C++. It is hard to explain the difference between the two to someone who hasn't programmed, sorry.

About your original query, I've written in the past about it here.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

If you want a job a programmer or make money programming then you should choose Java.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Skyrim itself isn't written using Papyrus, and Papyrus isn't a variant of C++. Papyrus is a scripting language which is interpreted within the Skyrim codebase. It exists as a simpler way to program events and control the world, removing the need of the creator to worry about some of the nitty gritty aspects of game programming (that's a terrible explanation lol). The devs also used Papyrus to create all of the events, quests, interactions, etc. the player can interact with.

It is common practice in game development to use a scripting language as a "middle man", to simplify/speed up the process of creating game stuff.

Skyrim itself is most likely also written in C++. It is hard to explain the difference between the two to someone who hasn't programmed, sorry.

About your original query, I've written in the past about it here.

Thanks. :) 

Whatever you start with and whatever you use to start learning, remember that it's important to learn good practices. If something seems ridiculously long or overcomplicated 99% of the time there's a better way to do it.