Cooling Case Suggestions

Hi, I installed my brother`s computer and I am in a bit of a pickle regarding cooling fans, The problem is that he has a phantom 560ti Gainward and is hitting 90 degrees Celsius on far cry 3, and was looking if changing the fan orientation would help.

Case: Corsair 450d

Cooler Corsair H55 - as intake ( i wanted to mount it as exhaust in push configuration but couldn't) 

Installed fans:

2x Corsair 140mm AF series

1x Corsair 120mm AF series

1x NZXT 140mm fan

+Fan that came with radiator - 120mm Corsair

Extra fans i have available:

2x 120mm Corsair AF

2x 140mm Noctua AF-A14 PWM

1x 120mm BeQuiet Shadow/Silent Wings 2 (not sure which one)

Which approach should I go with? Approach 1 is the current setup. but I was thinking that an exhaust fan on top of the vga like approach 2 would help expel the heat a bit easier.

OR if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

post-22839-0-51637900-1404332877_thumb.j

post-22839-0-90493300-1404332880_thumb.j

The current setup looks fine. I'd dial down the voltage of the graphics card and change the fan curve using something like Msi Afterburner and/or replace more of your case fans with A14's. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You can't improve cooling for GPU in that case. If the card is hitting high temps at stock and fan full speed, the cooler on card might be going bad.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can't improve cooling for GPU in that case. If the card is hitting high temps at stock and fan full speed, the cooler on card might be going bad.

mmm, yea its at stock and I ramped up fans to 100% once it hits 60 Degrees + soo...

Actually, I would let the H55 exhaust. I know you said you couldn't, but why?
The reason for my suggestion is that you want undisrupted airflow through your case. Ideal is from fron to back, or bottom to top. Anything coming from the side will interfere and usually worsen airflow in your case. Therefore it might actually worsen your GPU temps, doesn't have to, but it could.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Actually, I would let the H55 exhaust. I know you said you couldn't, but why?

The reason for my suggestion is that you want undisrupted airflow through your case. Ideal is from fron to back, or bottom to top. Anything coming from the side will interfere and usually worsen airflow in your case. Therefore it might actually worsen your GPU temps, doesn't have to, but it could.

I managed to configure the H55 as exhaust in push config (couldn't do it before as I did not have short screws to attach it to case)

Changed the config a bit of the fans, and got:

CPU went down 1.5 degree Celsius (Avrg)

GPU went down by 8 degree Celsius!!!! which is incredible.. from 90 to 81.

The H55 as intake on top of the GPU was disrupting the airflow as Mapegl pointed out. 

I managed to configure the H55 as exhaust in push config (couldn't do it before as I did not have short screws to attach it to case)

Changed the config a bit of the fans, and got:

CPU went down 1.5 degree Celsius (Avrg)

GPU went down by 8 degree Celsius!!!! which is incredible.. from 90 to 81.

The H55 as intake on top of the GPU was disrupting the airflow as Mapegl pointed out. 

Really glad that worked out for you! Very nice. And 81 is a perfectly fine temperature.

I had a similar experience while tinkering with airflow in my previous cases and current case. It is simple and complicated at the same time.......hope that makes sense. ;-)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)