Bad performance AMD R9 290 ?

.daviD
Go to solution Solved by Zeals,

I tried with the fan almost at max, more or less on 80 % and I didnt have any drops on fps but with the msi afterburner i still see that my gpu usage is lower that 50% in games D: thats a problem right ?

The GPU usage less than 50% isn't really an issue, but it depends on the game. Also my advice regarding the situation is to set a user defined automatic fan speed profile to stop the VRMs from overheating since it appears to be a VRM overheating issue. 

Hi, i don't know why when im playing games every 20 seconds my fps drops down to 20 in all games. I saw the core clock while the fps droped and the core clock also was lower than it have to be, the temperatures of CPU and GPU were not very high. I asked in some other forums and they said me it was that my motherboard is not good and some other said me its because my RAM is not good. I have AMD driver 14.4, the latest ones but not the beta. I tried beta ones and old ones and the problem still there.

Gigabyte ga-970-ds3 (rev 3.0)
FX 8320 4 ghz
AMD R9 290 1000 /1300
8GB RAM 1333mhz
Corsair cs750m (gold)
1tb wd caviar black

Im not getting really high fps for that really expensive gpu, and also the problem that my fps drops A LOT. 
I dont know what is causing this problem, help please :S  (Sorry for my english, im Spanish.. I did my best ^^ )

Is it the reference R9 290? If it is maybe then it's running too hot and throttling itself.

i'm a potato

Can you list some games it happens in?

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

What cooler does your graphics card have?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I keep hearing this and it scared me away from buying the 290. In my research though i saw that this is happening to almost all the 290s except the ASUS, Sapphire. Gigabyte has some new BIOS that is suppose to fix this problem. I just don't understand the buggyness.

I feel for you though.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Your English is pretty good. 

May I suggest you run some GPU benchmarks like Valley benchmark and compare your score to others with the same card. https://unigine.com/products/valley/

Is this a brand new computer or did you upgrade the video card to the R9 290 from something else?

I keep hearing this and it scared me away from buying the 290. In my research though i saw that this is happening to almost all the 290s except the ASUS, Sapphire.

Which is funny considering all the bad press the asus version got for some reason... mine works perfectly

-

the motherboard shouldn't be an issue, I can't see why it would be. If the temperatures are in the norm and the gpu is throttling (which is what appears to be the case) maybe the motherboard is getting too hot. Check the motherboard and cpu temperature while running, even if the card runs cool enough the heat needs to be dissipated somewhere and if your case doesn't have good airflow the hot air will "cook" the rest of your components. A temporary solution would be to just leave the sides of the case open, it should help with air flow by miles. In summer I do that with my pc too, it runs quite a bit cooler. What games does this happen is precisely by the way?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can I we get the temperature readings of your GPU? Preferably through hardware monitor? Also which R9 290 do you have, which cooler etc. Also chance chance you can give us what speeds the fans are running at, the ones displayed by MSI Afterburner etc. should be sufficient, with that information we can at least diagnosis whether or not it's a temperature related issue. 

I keep hearing this and it scared me away from buying the 290. In my research though i saw that this is happening to almost all the 290s except the ASUS, Sapphire. Gigabyte has some new BIOS that is suppose to fix this problem. I just don't understand the buggyness.

I feel for you though.

It happened to my asus 290x, it was throttling itself due to a vrm sensor that didn't have a heatsink on it it hit the throttle temp (112c).

Is the Sapphire Tri-X. It happens with all games a play, league of legends, far cry 3, bf4, DayZ, murdered, payday2 ... I had a 7770 before and it was ok, when i changed i thought the gpu was broken so i did the rma and they gave me another and the problem still there :D

I runned the unigine valley benchmark and my score was 2161 on extreme hd with anti aliasing x8 and without overclocking (CPU 3'5 ghz GPU 1000/1250). It was 58 fps almost always.

In the bechmark my gpu usage was 100% but in games it doesnt get above 50-60% .. :S

http://gyazo.com/d6f7a91d7e8eb97486e15c0721ff943e   msi afterbuner during bechmark. Its in spanish 

Translation :D

(GPU temp

GPU load

Fan speed

i dont know that :P

Core Clock

Memory Clock

Memory usage)

Which is funny considering all the bad press the asus version got for some reason... mine works perfectly

I also know of two friends that have the ASUS 290 and their own works great. I really don't understand all the negatives. I have seen on the Gigabyte site and on amazon.com that Gigabyte's 290 did have some sort of problem which made the GPU down clock even on idle and a Gigabyte support representative has stated that there is a new BIOS for the GPUs but it is only valid for 290s with the "F1" BIOS and they also stated that if your 290 soes not have the "F1" BIOS then the new BIOS is not for your card.

This left me to wonder what will happen to the 290s that don't have the "F1" BIOS.

In the last week i was scared off from getting a 290. So i opted for a 760 FTW and i will SLI next month if i have no "surprise bills"..

It happened to my asus 290x, it was throttling itself due to a vrm sensor that didn't have a heatsink on it it hit the throttle temp (112c).

Did you RMA it? i hope you did.

You copied my post.....so cheap..... :P

You copied my post.....so cheap..... :P

asdasdijfbhidsnasd :D

asdasdijfbhidsnasd :D

Welcome BTW

Is it the reference R9 290? If it is maybe then it's running too hot and throttling itself.

Nope, its the sapphire tri-x 

Can you list some games it happens in?

All games I currently play, League of Legends, FarCry3, BF4, Murdered, DayZ...

What cooler does your graphics card have?

Sapphire tri-x

Your English is pretty good. 

May I suggest you run some GPU benchmarks like Valley benchmark and compare your score to others with the same card. https://unigine.com/products/valley/

Is this a brand new computer or did you upgrade the video card to the R9 290 from something else?

Score of 2161 ExtremeHD anti aliasing x8 no OC on cpu or gpu

Can I we get the temperature readings of your GPU? Preferably through hardware monitor? Also which R9 290 do you have, which cooler etc. Also chance chance you can give us what speeds the fans are running at, the ones displayed by MSI Afterburner etc. should be sufficient, with that information we can at least diagnosis whether or not it's a temperature related issue. 

http://gyazo.com/d6f...6e15c0721ff943e   During unigine valley benchmark

Transalation

(GPU temp

GPU load

Fan speed

i dont know that  :P

Core Clock

Memory Clock

Memory usage)

All games I currently play, League of Legends, FarCry3, BF4, Murdered, DayZ...

Sapphire tri-x

Score of 2161 ExtremeHD anti aliasing x8 no OC on cpu or gpu

http://gyazo.com/d6f...6e15c0721ff943e   During unigine valley benchmark

Transalation

(GPU temp

GPU load

Fan speed

i dont know that  :P

Core Clock

Memory Clock

Memory usage)

I really don't see anything out of the ordinary with the temps or the clocks. Good thing I actually paid attention sometimes in Spanish class.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hi, i don't know why when im playing games every 20 seconds my fps drops down to 20 in all games. I saw the core clock while the fps droped and the core clock also was lower than it have to be, the temperatures of CPU and GPU were not very high. I asked in some other forums and they said me it was that my motherboard is not good and some other said me its because my RAM is not good. I have AMD driver 14.4, the latest ones but not the beta. I tried beta ones and old ones and the problem still there.

Gigabyte ga-970-ds3 (rev 3.0)

FX 8320 4 ghz

AMD R9 290 1000 /1300

8GB RAM 1333mhz

Corsair cs750m (gold)

1tb wd caviar black

Im not getting really high fps for that really expensive gpu, and also the problem that my fps drops A LOT. 

I dont know what is causing this problem, help please :S  (Sorry for my english, im Spanish.. I did my best ^^ )

Probably CPU bottlenecked maybe what's your CPU Usage while gaming? any CPU spikes that could cause lag?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I contacted Asus with some questions but unfortunately, they would only allow the RMA to occur if I sent it back to the vendor. They also did not answer my questions in regards to helping me figure out what the problems were (found out from reviews and stuff online). It wasn't a good first RMA graphics card experience.

I just returned the 290x and opted for a gtx 770 like I originally planned (I stopped myself buying a gtx 780 ^_^) as I only 1080p game and I'm holding of till 4k gaming is more affordable.

I contacted Asus with some questions but unfortunately, they would only allow the RMA to occur if I sent it back to the vendor. They also did not answer my questions in regards to helping me figure out what the problems were (found out from reviews and stuff online). It wasn't a good first RMA graphics card experience.

I just returned the 290x and opted for a gtx 770 like I originally planned (I stopped myself buying a gtx 780 ^_^) as I only 1080p game and I'm holding of till 4k gaming is more affordable.

Very wise choice. I too was scared away from the 290 from reviews i read and opted for a 760 FTW that i will SLI and water cool soon. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Okay well the GPU definitely isn't overheating. The thing is with the R9 290 series there is an issue of overheating VRMs with certain cards, and since it isn't part of the GPU these higher temperatures don't ramp up the fan speed. So just try turning the fan speed to max temporarily and running games and telling us whether or not it still starts lagging after a while. Another option to help this issue is just having a fan blow cold air over the back of the PCB. If these things don't help then we can rule out overheating VRMs.