Ouya Introduces Subscription Model For Games. Spotify By For Games

GoodBytes

Ouya has introduced a subscription service for it's console, where for 60$ per year, you have access to all it's games. Ouya is treating is a limited trial run, a "pilot subscription program" as they are claiming. The company calls the service: All Access Pass.

access-pass-hero.jpg?10977

The service has now sold out, and you can subscribe to the service to get notification when the service will be expanded to take more people or come back.

You can go here for more info and register for notification: http://shop.ouya.tv/products/all-access-3

From ArsTechnica:

This week, Ouya has tried yet again to get gamers' attention by way of a crazy, limited-time bargain: the Ouya All-Access Pass.

The pass, which costs $60 and lasts for a full year, is meant to unlock seemingly unlimited access to the Ouya online store's major paid offerings: namely, "one-time purchases under $30 such as full-game unlocks and level-pack add-ons." However, the fine print explains that downloadable content designed to "enhance gameplay" with options such as "extra lives and power-ups" is not included in the All-Access Pass, which may create a blurry line between what content is and isn't included. Ouya's Chess 2, for example, doesn't include a full "unlock" purchase but rather coin packs used to enable online play at a cost per online session.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/06/ouya-announces-60year-subscription-to-unlock-its-full-games-library/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+All+content%29

a little late :/

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Sounds similar to Playstation Now/Playstation Plus free games. 

I guess game streaming is really coming. Oh well. I'll never be doing that, so have fun guys. I'm not wasting my 6 Mb/s internet on something like that. Torrents are bandwidth hungry, and I'm not the only one who lives at my house.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well it's not streaming games... it's more you can download any games you want, and enjoy.

But yea, I guess it can be seen as an intermediate step in between, before full streaming of games, is a reality.

The ouya is still around?

TIL Ouya didn't die to terrible reviews.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Well it's not streaming games... it's more you can download any games you want, and enjoy.

But yea, I guess it can be seen as an intermediate step in between, before full streaming of games, is a reality.

Oh. I thought it was streaming. 

Downloading a game to try it? When games are usually 10+GB? ... I don't know. Still sounds crappy for those with crappy internet.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yeah, they're not the first. Still, even if it would be super convenient and all that, I recon it isn't gonna help them that much at this stage anyhow.

Oh. I thought it was streaming. 

Downloading a game to try it? When games are usually 10+GB? ... I don't know. Still sounds crappy for those with crappy internet.

At highest, games in Ouya's discover store are 1GB and thats rare. Most games are pretty small with some of the more content filled ones being in that upper 1GB range.

Didn't @LinusTech predict this sort of subscription-based All Access Pass model was where Steam was heading on a WAN show episode some time back?

As much flack as the OUYA gets, that's actually an insanely good deal. You're paying $60 A YEAR to play ANY AND ALL of the OUYA's games. The next best thing is PS Now, which is much more expensive and has a very limited library.

COMIC SANS

As much flack as the OUYA gets, that's actually an insanely good deal. You're paying $60 A YEAR to play ANY AND ALL of the OUYA's games. The next best thing is PS Now, which is much more expensive and has a very limited library.

Yea, but it would be better if it unlocked some in-game purchases. For example, if it opened up early-access for betas like 'Neverending Nightmares'. Or maybe they could bundle in the subscription with some exclusive content such as a new launcher or an exclusive game.

I'm fine with this as long as they don't force you to purchase it by making the non-subscription experience terrible.

If you ask me, OUYA should have focused on being a HTPC with emulators for stuff like NES and SNES, not its own gaming platform.

You can probably buy all the good games on the OUYA for 60 dollars.