Galaxy S4 vs Nexus 5 delimma

Xquisite
Go to solution Solved by linusforsell,

Even though the price is similar in your area, I still think the N5 is a the better option—Similar hardware internally, but with a much nicer build quality. The only drawback would be the camera (really, would you ever use the IR blaster? :) ), so if you really need those extra pixels, I guess that's what'll settle it. The N5 camera is "good enough" in most cases though. The additional features that Samsung offer are hardly more than bloatware which you'd eventually wish was never on there anyway.

I'm getting my new phone shortly and I'm in a pickle here. I can't decide which one to get. What would you get if you were in my shoes?

Generally the Nexus 5 has no comparison against the GS4 because of its price to performance ratio, and although the Nexus is priced much lower it still has the better package and performs better than the S4. Seems a no-brainer right? But it isn't because where I live prices are quite close. The Nexus 5 (16Gb) is available for about $399 and the S4 is about $440.

I've always wanted the S4 but then the Nexus 5 came out and destroyed the market. I really like the stock android experience that the Nexus line offers but still it lacks some features. For instance it lacks the IR Blaster and I've heard bad things about its camera. The S4 on the other hand comes with TouchWiz but I will eventually flash cyanogenmod on it, comes with a very nice Camera and a bevy of other features.. But it does have an older and weaker SOC.

I could get a Nexus 5 with a wireless charger for another $50 at $450 or I could get a GS4 (Black Edition) at $440.

So.... what would you all recommend?

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

Nexus 5 is a better experience minus the camera for sure. That's what I would go with personally.

Nexus 5 is a better experience minus the camera for sure. That's what I would go with personally.

I would get almost the same experience with Cyanogenmod, but thank you for your opinion. :)

+1

Need some other opinions from other people. 

Even though the price is similar in your area, I still think the N5 is a the better option—Similar hardware internally, but with a much nicer build quality. The only drawback would be the camera (really, would you ever use the IR blaster? :) ), so if you really need those extra pixels, I guess that's what'll settle it. The N5 camera is "good enough" in most cases though. The additional features that Samsung offer are hardly more than bloatware which you'd eventually wish was never on there anyway.

Cheers,

Linus

Nexus 5 because it is more powerful, has stock android, I personally find the body to be very good looking... And the price of course.

Nexus 5.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well that does it. I've made up my mind. Thanks guys!

EDIT: I've got one last question. I'm going for the 16GB Variant of the N5. Is that storage space enough for a power user? Well I'll do my best to reserve it, how much space does the OS and Apps take up? @linusforsell

EDIT: I've got one last question. I'm going for the 16GB Variant of the N5. Is that storage space enough for a power user? Well I'll do my best to reserve it, how much space does the OS and Apps take up? @linusforsell

I have the Nexus 4 with 16gb. It is not enough. Music, games, videos and pictures and the space is all used up. I think I can only use 11gb. I am not sure though. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

OS is roughly 5GB, so you'll be able to use 11-12GB (like Lars mentioned above).

I have the 32GB model, but I have 19GB available (so 8GB used, of which 7GB is video/photos), so for me, the 16GB model would suffice. Not sure I'd count as a "power user" though—I've got around a hundred apps installed (no games, though).

Cheers,

Linus

16GB isn't anything special, I recommend 32GB because if you have tons of apps and music on their it takes up lots of space. 16GB goes away quite fast.

OS is roughly 5GB, so you'll be able to use 11-12GB (like Lars mentioned above).

I have the 32GB model, but I have 19GB available (so 8GB used, of which 7GB is video/photos), so for me, the 16GB model would suffice. Not sure I'd count as a "power user" though—I've got around a hundred apps installed (no games, though).

Okay. I'm not that kind of a person who watches movies from his phone stores a butt ton of music on it or anything of such nature. I was just hoping to get by with some daily use of apps some games and some videos or pictures. And that sounds like it won't be a problem. Thanks again :)

And why I'm not getting the 32GB variant is because of the price! It's priced at about $490. It just defeats the purpose of buying a nexus. 

Get the Nexus 5. I have one and I don't regret the decision. I've got Cyanogenmod running on it and despite the occasional crash since Cyanogenmod 11 isn't completely stable yet it runs buttery smooth. The camera is good enough and if there is good lighting you can actually take some really spectacular shots. Also the Nexus 5 is built amazingly well, I've dropped it a few times and not once has the screen shattered or the plastic around the back or side get any scratches. The minimalistic look is also very sleek and sexy with the colour coded ear piece. Speaker quality isn't the best and that's the same for the earpiece, but the earpiece is plenty loud. The microphone quality on the N5 is extremely good compared to other phones out on the market. The N5 also has a TON of support on rooting and modding since it's a completely stock android experience. There's a huge community around it that will help if something ever goes wrong.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Personally....and dependant on whether you would be willing enough? 

Try and find a cheap 16/32Gb Nexus 4? Like the screen isn't 1080p right? The memory is still 2Gb, unless you have some mobile app considered? The Processor definitely still keeps up, duel-band N is strong....updates still coming for 4.4.4 as of maybe two days ago....

Personally i have found buying this phone at the start of this year was a literal steal for the price. unless you have specific needs the N5 is a solid hitter...but if you wanna save even more, try and source an N4.

My two cents anyways..

Personally....and dependant on whether you would be willing enough? 

Try and find a cheap 16/32Gb Nexus 4? Like the screen isn't 1080p right? The memory is still 2Gb, unless you have some mobile app considered? The Processor definitely still keeps up, duel-band N is strong....updates still coming for 4.4.4 as of maybe two days ago....

Personally i have found buying this phone at the start of this year was a literal steal for the price. unless you have specific needs the N5 is a solid hitter...but if you wanna save even more, try and source an N4.

My two cents anyways..

The thing is that the N4 is more expensive than the N5! -_-

But effort appreciated. :)

I know someone that has an S4 and he is not happy with the performance and the battery life. Build quality is poor too as his one already looks like it's been through a war.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

i have a nexus 5 and had s4.I would suggest nexus 5 hands down for sure.

I have a S4, but IMO the Nexus 5 just looks and sounds amazing as far as I can see, honestly all the "smart features" on the S4 are just gimmics for me as a user, I just turn most of them off, Nexus is always a great phone.

Nexus 5. Cause it gets the newest android version. With better skin. The touchwiz UI sucks

apple.com

S800 smokes S600. lol

i agree it's really great to be on 800.