Just got a 500GB seagate 7200 drive for free. now i dont know what to do...

drewtcjones

I work in a consulting firm and we fix a lot of computers and usually just drill the drives and toss them, but today i asked my boss if i could just wipe it with ccleaner and take it since it was a decent drive and he was just going to throw it away. I came home, did a 3 pass wipe with ccleaner just because i dont want blamed for looking at someones personal data (even though we deleted it in the office). now i dont know what to do with it. I have a 256GB EVO and a 1TB WD Blue drive already. i was thinking about setting it up as two partitions and using about 100GB for backup and the other 400 for data or another OS. Is this a good idea to do or is there something better that i can do with it? Actually, is it even a good drive? I'm assuming it is because its Seagate and runs at 7200.

thanks guys/gals!

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate drive seems good enough, and its free

I have 160 GB Seagate hard drive for 7 years now

create partitions as you like

Finally got PS4 Pro

Use it as a scratch drive?

I donno. Depends on what you do on your computer really.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Put it a side for a time you need it or backup files onto it.

My old 1tb wd green is chilling in my chest of drawers :D.

Put it a side for a time you need it or backup files onto it.

My old 1tb wd green is chilling in my chest of drawers :D.

i also have a 1 tb green sitting in my HDD slave but i can hear some scratchy noises coming from it occasionally but i put it through crystaldiskinfo and it read that the drive was good. can CDI even check if the hdd is failing in that way?

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

Use it as a scratch drive?

I donno. Depends on what you do on your computer really.

what exactly does a scratch drive do?

I would use it as a back up only drive.  To back up windows/essential files from the 1tb

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

what exactly does a scratch drive do?

It's a drive that you use only as temporary storage, and that you write to often. For example, I've got a 3TB drive that I record videos to, then when I render them I store them on a different drive.

So pretty much it's just a drive that gets more write use than your others. In theory it'd fail first before you others.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Get a docking station and use it to backup all the files you don't want to lose in a power surge or complete system failure. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i also have a 1 tb green sitting in my HDD slave but i can hear some scratchy noises coming from it occasionally but i put it through crystaldiskinfo and it read that the drive was good. can CDI even check if the hdd is failing in that way?

I'm fairly sure that's the drive turning off/on after being inactive/going inactive. The drive actually stops spinning when it's not used after x value of time.

Get a docking station and use it to backup all the files you don't want to lose in a power surge or complete system failure.

so currently I have it in my rig and am using it as backup. Should I take it out and use my Thermalake BlacX?

I'm fairly sure that's the drive turning off/on after being inactive/going inactive. The drive actually stops spinning when it's not used after x value of time.

i know it turns off lol but the scratching just worried me. Thanks

so currently I have it in my rig and am using it as backup. Should I take it out and use my Thermalake BlacX?

I would,  if you have power surge (like I did once and lost every component) you could lose everything connected to your computer, but if you back up the HDD then stick it in your draw it's safe.  I keep a recent image of my main OS drive and an Image of my missus laptop on a hdd in my desk draw,

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would, if you have power surge (like I did once and lost every component) you could lose everything connected to your computer, but if you back up the HDD then stick it in your draw it's safe. I keep a recent image of my main OS drive and an Image of my missus laptop on a hdd in my desk draw,

ill be taking that out soon lol