Home Server Build 2013 - tutorial, yay or nay?

Hey guys, my girlfriend was talking to me the other day about her hosting a tutorial video for a budget home server using standard consumer parts

She'll be over viewing:

what parts to buy, why she chose those parts, and how much they cost.

Building the home server itself, (pretty much a build tutorial in itself)

What OS to run, and differences between them, and if they'll suit you.

She might also do a tutorial video on how to set up FreeNAS, the features, and the advanced settings of it.

What do you think? do we need one?

#!

cool idea, i used to have a 1.8ghz core 2 duo system running freeNAS shared with everybody in the flats i live in :)

cool idea, i used to have a 1.8ghz core 2 duo system running freeNAS shared with everybody in the flats i live in :)

You should EA it and charge a monthly subscription!

And yay for the tutorial!

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

You should EA it and charge a monthly subscription!

And yay for the tutorial!

well i have Truly unlimited broadband and nobody in the flats downloads or anything, my Internet is £25 a month and i charge 3 of them £8 a month lol so my internet costs me £3 a month and i'm the only one that uses it properly lol

Yay! For sure, this is a really good idea. I know little to nothing about networking and servers, so I'd like to know how to do this for my new house :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

nice that would be cool got axenon c2d base form my work i wnaa server but the softwhere/raid card imconfused on

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

Is she hot? :P

It could be useful to a lot of people, especially if she goes into detail and explains the more advanced stuff. Just try it and put it online, if you're happy with the result.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

I for sure need one :)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Thanks guys :) It'll be up in the weekend, or early next week depending on my upload speeds D:

Be sure to check out my yt channel :)

#!

Is she hot? :P

It could be useful to a lot of people, especially if she goes into detail and explains the more advanced stuff. Just try it and put it online, if your happy with the result.

Haha, I think so :) 

Wow, lucky for you guys, she actually know's what she is talking about, and in my opinion, a girl's voice is much nicer to listen to than a guys, well, a nice change anyway.

#!

I want a video on how to build a home server/dedicated NAS.