Should I Root my Nexus 7?

Benjio

I just ordered a refurbished Nexus 7 (2013 edition) yesterday and have been wondering if its worth the trouble to root it or not. I've never rooted or extensively used an Android device before so I'm not too familiar with anything involved. From reading different threads I've concluded that rooting allows one to be able to: read usb drives, run adblock type programs, connect to ps3 controllers, get rid of bloatware, and generally more optimize the device (these were the main things I am interested in anyway). So here are some questions, feel free to answer any or all:

1: Overall is it worth the trouble of rooting?

2: Do Nexus devices come with bloatware?

3. What is the best overall ROM (in your opinion)?

4. Am I correct with my list of benefits or rooting above?

5. How easy is it to root a device?

6. Does rooting mean I can get paid apps for free?

7. Can I still get Android updates if my Nexus 7 is rooted?

Also, I have read the pinned topic on rooting, so sorry if I missed anything in there pertaining to my questions.

1. Nexus devices are so absurdly easy to root, there is no real "trouble". The issue with most devices is trying to find a way to unlock the bootloader. Typically, official or not, trying to get one unlocked takes the most time when rooting. When it comes to a nexus device, all you have to do in the bootloader is just go into fastboot and type "fastboot oem unlock" using fastboot commands with your PC connected to your device. It's that simple. So sure it's worth it mainly because it's so easy on those device.

2. not any

3. matter of preference

4. sure I guess.

5. answered with 1

6. it requires blackhat trickery which I and most of the community don't condone so "yes" but don't do it mang.

7. Yes, butif you update it you will have to re-root if you use superSU, and you have to reflash the stock image unless you download a community made update.

1. It depends, I believe the biggest hassle is making sure you have everything backed up and safe (i.e. photos). If I were you, I'd root before putting a lot of data on the Nexus 7, because if it is like the Nexus 5, in order to root, the boot loader must be unlocked, and that wipes all the data. 

2. Nexus devices don't come with any bloatware, it is vanilla android with Google Apps included. 

3. On my Nexus 5, I have am rooted with Stock ROM and ElementalX kernel. I think it is the best as you still enjoy stock, vanilla android while rooted. 

4. Yes, I believe you are correct with the benefits. (Although I've yet to read a USB drive or connect a controller). Another thing is you can install Xposed Framework to better customize your android experience (I suggest you read up on the Xposed Framework).

5. On Nexus devices, it is really easy, check out XDA Developers website for more info.

6. No, you can't. You can get paid apps for free without root, but it is pirating nonetheless. 

7. This is the tricky part. OTA updates only install if there is no change to system, and when you do install an OTA, you usually lose root, so you have to root again. Another method is waiting for the OTA zip file and flashing yourself in the custom recovery you have installed. 

Overall, it is up to you if you want to root and have extra options to customize and suit Android to your needs. I have rooted my Nexus 5 and haven't really had any issues except for hassle of backing up (I wish there was something like iTunes backup for Nexus devices.) I really recommend you check out the XDA developers website and read up on rooting your Nexus 7. Hope this helps. 

6. Does rooting mean I can get paid apps for free?

you don't need to root your device to do this.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Does this look like the best guide to use? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382051

Also, what is the purpose of the custom recovery? And is it necessary?

The prequisistes are absurd. Just go and download this and you get access to fastboot and adb in one terminal by just opening the application.

Everything else is what I did for rooting my Nexus 5.