New monitor in da house

Elenneth89

Hi folks, new user here.

In these days I'm assembling the build for my desktop computer.

I've decided all but the monitor.

Here are the specifications I would love to have:

- Refreshing rate 120Hz (or sup)

- IPS panels

- 27" (or sup)

- lag input 8ms (or inf)

- 1440p

- 500 €

The graphic card I will use is the Geforce GTX 780.

Since I'm Italian, my only source for the shopping is Amazon or Ebay.

I've found this Korean monitor, but I was told that it's not a good deal.

Is there something similar?

The main purpose will be mid-core gaming, movies and surfing.

I'm planning to buy everything around next April or this summer if I find the money.

Thank you for your kind help

120hz ips , yhea right

Also this^^^^

Ips and 120hz is kind-of a contradiction , get something with with g-sync . 

I'm not such an expert in monitors, but I found that the IPS is much better than the TL in terms of sharpness, quality image and colors. Am I right?

Also 120 IPS is a dream?

I'm not such an expert in monitors, but I found that the IPS is much better than the TL in terms of sharpness, quality image and colors. Am I right?

Also 120 IPS is a dream?

Its a dream outside of the Korean monitors that can be overclocked.... but obvious problem with Korean stuff, no warranty, dead pixels, lousy build quality (though they are very cheap for the what they are)

Personally since my 780ti can NOT push 90% games at 1440p 120fps+ then I think going for a nice IPS display to get accurate colour and viewing angles much better

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So are you saying that a 1440p monitor is kind of useless nowadays?

It's better to drop the 1440p in favour for the IPS tech?

Also in terms of gaming, it's better to have more refreshing rate or better resolution?

A 1080p one will be fine for how long?

Sorry for all these answers questions, but I'm not an expert...

I like my X-Star...

Anyways, as to your gaming questions, it depends on how you game. Competitive or leisurely? Do you wanna run through a game for its action/ story, or do you

wanna stop and enjoy the scenery? Now that I have 1440p, I hate going back to even 1080. On a side note, I really like my PLS monitor.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

I like my X-Star...

Anyways, as to your gaming questions, it depends on how you game. Competitive or leisurely? Do you wanna run through a game for its action/ story, or do you

wanna stop and enjoy the scenery? Now that I have 1440p, I hate going back to even 1080. On a side note, I really like my PLS monitor.

I'm a heavy gamer but not a competitive one, so no COD or SC II master, and I prefer to "enjoy the landscape".

Because of this, I think that the ROG Swift it's a little bit of an overkill for my needs.

Also I like to watch movies at a decent quality and I'm looking for the smoothness and the fluidity of the actions.

Forget the IPS hype and buy a ROG Swift.

Also forget the 4K hype. :P

IPS is no hype. It's essential if you need accurate colours. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

120hz ips , yhea right

Also this^^^^

Ips and 120hz is kind-of a contradiction , get something with with g-sync .

Got a bit of a stutter happening there mate (with, with) :P. Just messin' with ya. :D

Also forget the 4K hype. :P

IPS is no hype. It's essential if you need accurate colours. ;)

I find a good TN panel to be way more than enough for colours.

At 500 euros there is NO 1440p 120hz monitor. The rog swift will be 700 euros.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Sorry for all these answers, but I'm not an expert...

I assume you meant to say "questions"? :lol:

I'm a heavy gamer but not a competitive one, so no COD or SC II master, and I prefer to "enjoy the landscape".

Because of this, I think that the ROG Swift it's a little bit of an overkill for my needs.

Also I like to watch movies at a decent quality and I'm looking for the smoothness and the fluidity of the actions.

Hmm. Kinda like me. Whatever you decide, I'd try to lean towards resolution and detail rather than sheer speed. I'm sure you already know, but your card will be able to handle anything you 

throw at it reasonably well for now. If you haven't, check Logan's videos on the Korean monitors... very useful to me. As said above me, there is no getting both 1440p and 120hz for 500 euros.

That being said, the Korean monitors are cheap, and do overclock well (I pushed mine over 100hz with little effort). There is risk (dead pixels...), but I find it minimal at best. Anyways, links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJVKzzp4a4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbyT9lDEtjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlVbGcv0g-g

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

I assume you meant to say "questions"? :lol:

Got a bit of a stutter happening there mate (with, with) :P. Just messin' with ya. :D

On a post correcting spree are we ?

I find a good TN panel to be way more than enough for colours.

Well that is actually true. I have an Apple MacBook Air (2012 model), it has a TN display and it's one of the best I've seen. The colours were almost accurate out of the box but with little monitor colour calibration utility I found, it's now much more accurate. It is possible for TN monitors to be of good quality and colour. It's just that they like to give you crap ones on cheap laptops. However most laptops these days are starting to come with IPS displays.

Hmm. Kinda like me. Whatever you decide, I'd try to lean towards resolution and detail rather than sheer speed. I'm sure you already know, but your card will be able to handle anything you 

throw at it reasonably well for now. If you haven't, check Logan's videos on the Korean monitors... very useful to me. As said above me, there is no getting both 1440p and 120hz for 500 euros.

That being said, the Korean monitors are cheap, and do overclock well (I pushed mine over 100hz with little effort). There is risk (dead pixels...), but I find it minimal at best. Anyways, links below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJVKzzp4a4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbyT9lDEtjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlVbGcv0g-g

Thank you, very informative.

I would like to get a monitor that will last at least 5 years so I'm looking for it carefully, trying to buy something powerful with high-specs.

I'm not sure about the overclocking thou... It's kind of dangerous and it shortens the life, am I right?

Also the 500€ is not a unbreakable limit, I can afford to put another 100€ if the stuff it's worth it.

Drop the 120hz and get a pb278q Image quality > refresh rate IMO

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Forget the IPS hype and buy a ROG Swift.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Drop the 120hz and get a pb278q Image quality > refresh rate IMO

I've googled it, and usually one who have bought a 120Hz doesn't want to turn back to 60Hz.

I've never be able to experience a 120Hz monitor (I've a 14" laptop), so I cannot tell if there would be such a difference between the two or not. 

I'm getting mixed opinions which are making me confuse.

If the human eye cannot see over 30Hz, why are they making 144Hz monitors?

Very.. mature I guess.

Have you ever seen an accurate IPS display next to a TN panel?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I've googled it, and usually one who have bought a 120Hz doesn't want to turn back to 60Hz.

I've never be able to experience a 120Hz monitor (I've a 14" laptop), so I cannot tell if there would be such a difference between the two or not. 

I'm getting mixed opinions which are making me confuse.

If the human eye cannot see over 30Hz, why are they making 144Hz monitors?

IMO, 60hz is plenty for non-competitive play. 120hz only really seems to help when there's alot going on, as there would be in Battlefield. 

I've only had minimal experience with 120hz though... but many reviewers online seem to concur with this. Faster refresh rates allow the game to feel

more and more responsive, even if you don't visually notice much difference. From what you've said, its entirely worth sacrificing 120hz for higher

detail quality. And unless you plan on upgrading that gpu, odds are you won't be able to saturate the refresh rates on any games you'll tend to play, 

anyways.

I don't believe overclocking it a bit will do much in terms of life expectancy, if anything, but if you're worried about that, I'd just not touch it. Like I said above,

for someone who plays games like you, 60hz will provide a very enjoyable experience. As for other monitor choices, I know ASUS and Dell definitely have some

in that price range for you. I'd recommend going to a store and checking out each brand you can, evaluating the color, contrast, etc. to get a good idea as to

which you prefer. I honestly liked the Samsung panels the best, and thus went with X-Star.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

If you play twitch games, 120hz isn't a bad idea at all.  But honestly it all comes down to personal opinion and if you can even achieve 120 fps with your set-up. And if you can't, I'd choose a image quality over refresh rate. Exception being the PG278Q which I'm sure is one of the better TN panels. But at the cost of it being more than say a pb278q   

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Very.. mature I guess.

It was about as mature as your contribution to the OP, not really sure of your point >.>

@OP I can't think of anything that has IPS and 120 HZ besides korean IPS, but they can sometimes have issues with dead pixels, backlight bleed etc.

If you could, I'd say try and get your hands on a PB278Q, or HP ZR2740W, other options would be a korean IPS, but on the off chance it does come with dead pixels, you may be in for a serious headache when you try to return it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Thank you for all your answer, I got my mind a little bit more clear from doubts. 

Basically I have to choose between image quality and fast refreshing rate for a more smooth gaming experience (at least with FPS and so) for now.

It was about as mature as your contribution to the OP, not really sure of your point >.>

@OP I can't think of anything that has IPS and 120 HZ besides korean IPS, but they can sometimes have issues with dead pixels, backlight bleed etc.

If you could, I'd say try and get your hands on a PB278Q, or HP ZR2740W, other options would be a korean IPS, but on the off chance it does come with dead pixels, you may be in for a serious headache when you try to return it.

I see you have a PB278Q. Are you satisfied with it? Have you ever tried a 120Hz monitor so you can tell me if there is a notable difference with a 60Hz one?