Torn between cases

Germanys_Zod

So I am currently searching for all the parts I want for a new rig. I am torn however between the Corsair Obisidian 450D, The Fractal Design R4, and the NZXT H440. Which do you think would be the best option and why? I really like the aesthetics of the H440, but I still have a hard time deciding ^_^

The R4 or H440 if you're going for a quiet PC. The 450D if you're going for max airflow.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I'd like to pitch in Phanteks' Enthoo Pro if it's available where you live.

Enthoo Pro.

Enthoo-Pro_21.jpg

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

H440. The 450D and Define R4 are rather ugly imo.

Count the 450D out if you got an optical drive.

I got an XL R2 which is basically a bigger R4. Clean, slick and so quiet... But the 440 is a good choice too.  If you like the aesthetics, go for it. They're all great case so go for the one you like the look better. 

Enthoo Pro.

Enthoo-Pro_21.jpg

It's like twice as much as the H440 so no way I will be getting that ^^

It's like twice as much as the H440 so no way I will be getting that ^^

In the US, the Enthoo Pro is $99.99 for the windowed version and $89.99 for the non-windowed version. It's bigger brother/sister the Enthoo Primo is around $240. A NZXT H440 around $110 here. I'm assuming you live in Germany or somewhere else...

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

The Enthoo Pro costs $99 and it's an outstanding chassis, the stock fans that it has are premium fans from Phanteks, they are very quiet. The front 200m fan delivers 110 CFM at 25 dB 

Corsair Obisidian 450D. The other cases aren't as cool looking, plus everyone always gets the Fractal or the H440. lol

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The Enthoo Pro costs $99 and it's an outstanding chassis, the stock fans that it has are premium fans from Phanteks, they are very quiet. The front 200m fan delivers 110 CFM at 25 dB 

Alright well, they don't sell in Germany at least not from my retailer. So the three that I listed are really my options. Thanks for the advice though ^^

Corsair Obisidian 450D. The other cases aren't as cool looking, plus everyone always gets the Fractal or the H440. lol

Any other reason other than not being a hipster? I mean are there any real benefits aside from aesthetics, which are subjective?

Any other reason other than not being a hipster? I mean are there any real benefits aside from aesthetics, which are subjective?

Well, it is a very big case and is great at airflow. That means lots of room for upgrades, custom water loop, great room for rads, many places for fan mounting and has modular pieces. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Well, it is a very big case and is great at airflow. That means lots of room for upgrades, custom water loop, great room for rads, many places for fan mounting and has modular pieces. :)

Alright thanks, the only gripe I have with it though is that the fans are white since I'm going for a red and black aesthetic and I would rather not have to buy 5 new fans. I might get it anyways though. Thanks for the advice :lol:

So I am currently searching for all the parts I want for a new rig. I am torn however between the Corsair Obisidian 450D, The Fractal Design R4, and the NZXT H440. Which do you think would be the best option and why? I really like the aesthetics of the H440, but I still have a hard time deciding ^_^

Could you tell us what the rest of your build looks like?  Me personally, I strive for the best in-game play experience, and that means maximizing on components that have a direct impact on performance.  If you could go with a less expensive case, and upgrade from a 770 to a 290, or some variation of that, you might be more happy in the long run.  Case doesn't impact performance, and if you are going to be purchasing new fans, you can still use a mid-range case and pack it with high end fans to get a similar effect.  Just my opinion. 

If you have a limitless budget and have to pick between those options, I would go for the H440.  It has the most modern and sleek look and you can get it in red.  If you don't need 5.25 front bays for DVD/CD player, then you are set.  It is a very popular case and for good reason. 

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Could you tell us what the rest of your build looks like?  Me personally, I strive for the best in-game play experience, and that means maximizing on components that have a direct impact on performance.  If you could go with a less expensive case, and upgrade from a 770 to a 290, or some variation of that, you might be more happy in the long run.  Case doesn't impact performance, and if you are going to be purchasing new fans, you can still use a mid-range case and pack it with high end fans to get a similar effect.  Just my opinion. 

If you have a limitless budget and have to pick between those options, I would go for the H440.  It has the most modern and sleek look and you can get it in red.  If you don't need 5.25 front bays for DVD/CD player, then you are set.  It is a very popular case and for good reason. 

So this is my current build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qn7FK8

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qn7FK8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($134.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.92 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($235.38 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($92.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($85.57 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor  ($159.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($12.99 @ NCIX US)

Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($111.98 @ Newegg)

Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Xornet Wired Optical Mouse  ($20.65 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1497.40

I will most likely be buying the new generation GPUs at x-mas so that's why I'm not going all out for this card. I could get an R9 290 if I wanted to though. I have already purchased the 16GB of RAM since it is cheaper to buy in the U.S., andI'm currently visiting my mom and sister here. The rest of the parts will be purchased in Germany most likely.

snip

Very nice build!  Smart to purchase parts now while you're in the U.S. and they are less expensive.  If you haven't purchased the i5 yet, wait until Devil's Canyon comes out later this week.  You can purchase it in-store at Microcenter for ~$200, or use Staples.com Price Match(over the phone or live chat) and get the processor shipped to you.

I own that same brand of monitor myself, the 23in version though, and it is a very nice monitor, you will love it.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to get a different PSU.  For $5 more, you can get the Corsair HX750($90).  You only have until 6/25 to get it for that price.  The Corsair HX750 is a vastly superior PSU than the EVGA 750B.  For starters, it is Gold instead of bronze.  It uses a single 12v rail, not split like the 750B.  It has a feature where the fan on the PSU wont spin up until about 40% load, which will make your machine much more quiet during non-intensive tasks.  Perhaps the best difference is the 7 year warranty that comes with the Corsair PSU, compared to 3 years of the 750B.

The R9 280 will hold you over for a long time until the new 800 series comes out.

EDIT*  I forgot to mention that you might be able to find better case fans for the same price.  Cougar Vortex 120mm PWM they are the same price, and are insanely good.  The blow a lot more air than the Corsair AFs(70 to 55CFM), and are  more quiet(19Dba to 25Dba).

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Very nice build!  Smart to purchase parts now while you're in the U.S. and they are less expensive.  If you haven't purchased the i5 yet, wait until Devil's Canyon comes out later this week.  You can purchase it in-store at Microcenter for ~$200, or use Staples.com Price Match(over the phone or live chat) and get the processor shipped to you.

I own that same brand of monitor myself, the 23in version though, and it is a very nice monitor, you will love it.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to get a different PSU.  For $5 more, you can get the Corsair HX750($90).  You only have until 6/25 to get it for that price.  The Corsair HX750 is a vastly superior PSU than the EVGA 750B.  For starters, it is Gold instead of bronze.  It uses a single 12v rail, not split like the 750B.  It has a feature where the fan on the PSU wont spin up until about 40% load, which will make your machine much more quiet during non-intensive tasks.  Perhaps the best difference is the 7 year warranty that comes with the Corsair PSU, compared to 3 years of the 750B.

The R9 280 will hold you over for a long time until the new 800 series comes out.

EDIT*  I forgot to mention that you might be able to find better case fans for the same price.  Cougar Vortex 120mm PWM they are the same price, and are insanely good.  The blow a lot more air than the Corsair AFs(70 to 55CFM), and are  more quiet(19Dba to 25Dba).

Thanks for the advice, although I will be going back the Germany in a few days so I no longer have much time to order anything. The i5 4690k is around 30$ more from the place I want to order it from. Is it worth it or should I just go with the 4670k? Also that psu doesn't sell in Germany unfortunately, the EVGA one though actually comes with a 5 year warranty if you register it a week after you buy it. It also has nothing but 5 star ratings on the site I want to get it from so I think I might stick with that one unless a much better one sticks out at me. I am getting the Corsair fans mainly for the red LEDs, just to give the case some more flair. If you know of any red led fans that are better let me know. Yeah I think the monitor will be great, what do you like so much about it if I may ask?

Thanks for the advice, although I will be going back the Germany in a few days so I no longer have much time to order anything. The i5 4690k is around 30$ more from the place I want to order it from. Is it worth it or should I just go with the 4670k? Also that psu doesn't sell in Germany unfortunately, the EVGA one though actually comes with a 5 year warranty if you register it a week after you buy it. It also has nothing but 5 star ratings on the site I want to get it from so I think I might stick with that one unless a much better one sticks out at me. I am getting the Corsair fans mainly for the red LEDs, just to give the case some more flair. If you know of any red led fans that are better let me know. Yeah I think the monitor will be great, what do you like so much about it if I may ask?

Starting with the monitor: 

From the first time I turned it on, even the blackness of it *popped*.  It was my first time really using an IPS panel monitor, sure I'd seen them in stores before all next to another, but to see one isolated and by itself for the first time it was a different kind of appeal.  The colors and viewing angles are very nice, everything looks beautiful and it has customized settings for different uses.  I get eye strain at times, so I like to have the brightness down low when not gaming, its easy to adjust, and there are pre-made settings for such things.  I live in Florida, and it is bright in the room where my PC is, but I don't experience any glare thanks to the matte finish on the monitor.

On to the processor.

If at all possible, I would hold out for the i5-4690k.  Especially if you plan to overclock.  Overclocking with Haswell seems to be a big crap shoot.  Results vary all the way from complete instability at any voltage, to very good results.  I am one of the lucky ones and have a very good i5-4670k(4.7Ghz @ 1.275v) and even a CM 212 EVO keeps it cool, although I might try for water cooling in the near future, the 212 EVO gets the job done very well for $30. 

Devil's Canyon is supposed to solve this problem and give more stability and cooler temperatures overall allowing for much better and higher overclocks.  This is all conjecture until we get some official reviews, but I think it is worth holding out for, especially if the price difference is only $10.  If you cannot wait, then the i5-4670k is still an excellent CPU, if not the best gaming CPU available.  Those poor overclocking results are the worst case scenarios, and hopefully you won't get a bad chip.

About the PSU:

The EVGA 750B is still a fine PSU, I personally prefer a strong 12v rail instead of splice, but it won't have an impact on performance.  The reason I recommend going with something else is that you are already spending a lot of money on a PSU, you can find Gold rated PSUs for the same price.  If you plan to only use a single GPU and CPU, then all you really need is 450W. Here is another video showing this.  If you plan to SLI in the future, then yes, you will want 750W or more, otherwise save your money.

having seen the two cases irl its really only you that can decide, if you dont want any plastic then not the h440, if you want something to be not showey or to not stand out then r4, i would choose the h440 because i like the window, also a thing to concider  is do you need or want a 5.25" drive bay as the h440 doesnt have any, out of the two i have said i like the h440 but you have to look at what you want out of the case and decide from your own esteme but both cases are pretty much the same performance and feature wise with a few differences, all and all the decision is yours to make. 

Starting with the monitor: 

From the first time I turned it on, even the blackness of it *popped*.  It was my first time really using an IPS panel monitor, sure I'd seen them in stores before all next to another, but to see one isolated and by itself for the first time it was a different kind of appeal.  The colors and viewing angles are very nice, everything looks beautiful and it has customized settings for different uses.  I get eye strain at times, so I like to have the brightness down low when not gaming, its easy to adjust, and there are pre-made settings for such things.  I live in Florida, and it is bright in the room where my PC is, but I don't experience any glare thanks to the matte finish on the monitor.

On to the processor.

If at all possible, I would hold out for the i5-4690k.  Especially if you plan to overclock.  Overclocking with Haswell seems to be a big crap shoot.  Results vary all the way from complete instability at any voltage, to very good results.  I am one of the lucky ones and have a very good i5-4670k(4.7Ghz @ 1.275v) and even a CM 212 EVO keeps it cool, although I might try for water cooling in the near future, the 212 EVO gets the job done very well for $30. 

Devil's Canyon is supposed to solve this problem and give more stability and cooler temperatures overall allowing for much better and higher overclocks.  This is all conjecture until we get some official reviews, but I think it is worth holding out for, especially if the price difference is only $10.  If you cannot wait, then the i5-4670k is still an excellent CPU, if not the best gaming CPU available.  Those poor overclocking results are the worst case scenarios, and hopefully you won't get a bad chip.

About the PSU:

The EVGA 750B is still a fine PSU, I personally prefer a strong 12v rail instead of splice, but it won't have an impact on performance.  The reason I recommend going with something else is that you are already spending a lot of money on a PSU, you can find Gold rated PSUs for the same price.  If you plan to only use a

. Here is another
showing this.  If you plan to SLI in the future, then yes, you will want 750W or more, otherwise save your money.

Alright thanks for the advice man. Still have some time to think things over before I purchase them ^^

Enthoo Pro.

Enthoo-Pro_21.jpg

That looks disgusting. I vote for for the 440 is you have to go with a boring shape.

That looks disgusting. I vote for for the 440 is you have to go with a boring shape.

What's disgusting about it? Whether it looks like shit or not, the Enthoo Pro offers a lot for $99.99.

What's disgusting about it? Whether it looks like shit or not, the Enthoo Pro offers a lot for $99.99.

On the market, there are 2 cases that I know of, that's good looking. The Phantom 410 and the Zalman Z11 plus. All other cases on the market are boring and rectangular and imo ugly. That case is the epitome of boring and rectangular, there is nothing to look at, the case looks like it is worth $5 from someone's backyard, it looks like it is from 2000s.