The "Death" of 5.25" and 3.5" drives

I think that 5.25" and 3.5" drives should no longer be supported within smaller cases i don't really see any use for them if you are using an sub ATX system, as with SSD's getting faster and cheaper and the widespread of notebooks all of which use 2.5" I see it almost pointless for consumer level 3.5" Hard drives to exist and support for them to exist within consumer system thoughts and oppions?

additionally I think that consumer cases should only support slim DVD drives ill post all valid for and against arguments in this post.

Pros

Smaller PCs

Will bring down the price of smaller drives?[maybe]

Cons

Small blueray drives are very expensive

Max 1TB         

I agree that the larger drive sized should not be supported. Ssds are mainstream now, and are just getting cheaper and in even bigger capacities. You can even get drives like the Crucial m500 in capcieties such as 960 gb!

I love a big case. and I would still like the option of having blu ray in the front.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I have a Imon that takes up 2 5.25 driv bays and I have a Bitfenix recon fan controller and plan on getting a second one.

Here is a pic of why i at least need the 5.25 inch drive bay's.

IMAG0072_zpsfd0184f8.jpg

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

You want smaller cases, how about this?

tumblr_mmwnomtiJm1qel1aao1_500.jpg

No matter if you get rid of 5.25" and 3.25" bays there are still limiting factors as to how small you can build a system in. Of course that depends on what kind of system you're implementing (high performance/low performance/ect).

The reliability of SSDs can factor into this somewhere, people still like having hardrives, if for one do.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

You want smaller cases, how about this?

<Image was here>

No matter if you get rid of 5.25" and 3.25" bays there are still limiting factors as to how small you can build a system in. Of course that depends on what kind of system you're implementing (high performance/low performance/ect).

The reliability of SSDs can factor into this somewhere, people still like having hardrives, if for one do.

Yes but cases of that size are low performance and cannot support high end graphics cards look at the new corsair 350D you could cut the frount third off it.

I have a Imon that takes up 2 5.25 driv bays and I have a Bitfenix recon fan controller and plan on getting a second one.

Here is a pic of why i at least need the 5.25 inch drive bay's.

IMO all of the functions of thouse should be replaced by software on the operating system or be connected to a usb frount header like the t-balancer.

I disagree, SSD just don't have the storage capacity at a cheap enough price for me...

I love a small 2.5" drive for boot but for a ton of storage nahhhh

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

IMO all of the functions of thouse should be replaced by software on the operating system or be connected to a usb frount header like the t-balancer.

It should be :) the only reason why I love it so much, is because, I can use XBMC and Plex with the remote that came with it , without getting up to mess with a mouse or keyboard and I can turn off my PC with the remote, it just makes things so much easier, then always getting up to change a movie, or listen to another album, I did buy 3 different RF remotes that had USB inferred dongles, but really they are peaces of junk, with the Imon controller I can control my PC from anywhere in the house and I also can use it with my HTPC in the living room and the HTPC/Daughters PC in the spare bed room.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

I disagree, SSD just don't have the storage capacity at a cheap enough price for me...

I love a small 2.5" drive for boot but for a ton of storage nahhhh

What about all the 2.5" HDD's? http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Storage/Hard+Drives/2.5+Inch+SATA+Drives/80GB+-+1TB+SATA/1TB+Western+Digital+WD10JPVT+Scorpio+Blue+2.5%22+SATA+II+Laptop+Hard+Drive+-+HDD+?productId=54229

It should be :) the only reason why I love it so much, is because, I can use XBMC and Plex with the remote that came with it , without getting up to mess with a mouse or keyboard and I can turn off my PC with the remote, it just makes things so much easier, then always getting up to change a movie, or listen to another album, I did buy 3 different RF remotes that had USB inferred dongles, but really they are peaces of junk, with the Imon controller I can control my PC from anywhere in the house and I also can use it with my HTPC in the living room and the HTPC/Daughters PC in the spare bed room.

Oh well you will probably like the application im working on  :P it's a content viewer/distribution system that uses a mobile phone as the account system/remote control over wifi

Can you get a 3tb 2.5" HDD ?

Didn't think so...

you could probably fit 3 of these down the back of the motherboard tray. :3 but yea ill add that to the list

Oh well you will probably like the application im working on  :P it's a content viewer/distribution system that uses a mobile phone as the account system/remote control over wifi

That does sound cool bro :), Thats kind of how i use the Imon when I'm in the living room, I use it through a IMON app for your smart phone, it some times cliches on me but not very offen, but it still clitches, which means that it is not perfect :P. When you finish you app, you have to let me try it out, if you wouldn't mind :D

That does sound cool bro :), Thats kind of how i use the Imon when I'm in the living room, I use it through a IMON app for your smart phone, it some times cliches on me but not very offen, but it still clitches, which means that it is not perfect :P. When you finish you app, you have to let me try it out, if you wouldn't mind :D

Ill let you know when i put it up for beta testing ill probably post on this forum. :)

you could probably fit 3 of these down the back of the motherboard tray. :3 but yea ill add that to the list

But that is where my SSD's go!! :3 Nah I'm just trolling now... :)

I get your point, but With huge servers in business you just need the storage for backups etc, when it comes to laptops and some smaller desktops I kind of agree with you, but they shouldn't be abolished from smaller cases :) I feel we should have the choice to make our own choice whether we want a ton of storage that makes things a bit bulkier :)

PROFILEYEAH

Ill let you know when i put it up for beta testing ill probably post on this forum. :)

awesome!

PROFILEYEAH

Sweet :D I cant wait to test out the beta, The Imon is one of my favorite Tech gadgets I have for my Main rig, So yes I would love to be a beta tester for you :)

But that is where my SSD's go!! :3 Nah I'm just trolling now... :)

I get your point, but With huge servers in business you just need the storage for backups etc, when it comes to laptops and some smaller desktops I kind of agree with you, but they shouldn't be abolished from smaller cases :) I feel we should have the choice to make our own choice whether we want a ton of storage that makes things a bit bulkier :)

Consumer choice all the way! :3

HDD capacities are still going up and price per gigabyte is still going down. WD is set to release 4 and 5 TB hard drives for their Green and Red series of drives. It will be a while before we can see that same capacity in a small form factor from SSDs, but that day is definitely coming.

I think hard drives will eventually go out the door, unless they find new ways to make them. They are currently made with rare earth metals that are limited in quantity, whereas SSDs are made with silicon, which is abundant.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Remove the 5.25" maybe, but definitely not the 3.5" bays, HDDs are still where all the storage is at, until huge SSD capacities start to be affordable to the consumers i doubt 3.5" is going anywhere anytime soon.

3.5" Drives are going to still be around for some time if not 5 or so years, capacity is the biggest reason.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

2.5" mechanical drives do exist... just saying ;)

My only reservation against removing front bays is that I need to use them for additional front I/O such as card readers etc and I know other people also need this.  Temperature monitoring panels would be nice too so I can monitor temps while fullscreened... although to be fair I don't know of any good ones out there for this yet lol.

Rather than keep 5.25" bays around just for that though I'd rather see a new standardized bay, since obviously if are just using it for I/O then it doesn't need to be 8 inches deep... something like a "flat" 5.25" bay (as in only 1 or 2 inches deep into the case) would be plenty of room for I/O panels, front LCDs, fan controllers, as none of these things need to extend very far into the case.  That would let cases be much smaller while keeping customizable I/O in.  I don't care about supporting slim optical drives, if someone needs to use an optical drive they can just store a USB external one in the closet and pull it out when they need to.

2.5" mechanical drives do exist... just saying ;)

My only reservation against removing front bays is that I need to use them for additional front I/O such as card readers etc and I know other people also need this.  Temperature monitoring panels would be nice too so I can monitor temps while fullscreened... although to be fair I don't know of any good ones out there for this yet lol.

Rather than keep 5.25" bays around just for that though I'd rather see a new standardized bay, since obviously if are just using it for I/O then it doesn't need to be 8 inches deep... something like a "flat" 5.25" bay (as in only 1 or 2 inches deep into the case) would be plenty of room for I/O panels, front LCDs, fan controllers, as none of these things need to extend very far into the case.  That would let cases be much smaller while keeping customizable I/O in.  I don't care about supporting slim optical drives, if someone needs to use an optical drive they can just store a USB external one in the closet and pull it out when they need to.

I agree with the card readers but everything else IMO should be done with software however i would pay alot of money for a programable usb fan controller thats the same dementions as a 2.5" drive if someone can send me on of thouse I will send you the head of any person you request.