Goodbye/Thank you Speech

Prodigydeadeye

So, I am an exchange student in Japan and next month I will be returning home to America. Next week, I am giving a goodbye speech to my hosting Rotary club thanking them for hosting me. In about two or three weeks I have a goodbye/thank you speech for my school. When it comes to speeches, I am as bad as it gets. So I have a few questions for the LTT community regarding my speech.

How long should each speech be? Should I keep it brief and short, or should I make it a good few minutes? Should the school speech be shorter and the Rotary speech be longer?

P.S. Any speech writing advice given is greatly appreciated. There are 571 members online, so please....help me  :unsure:  :D

I should be studying.

A good speech is exciting to hear from top to bottom. People have a short attention lifespan, specially on this events, so as long as you can keep them listening to you, words will actually mean something to them.

Starting with a short anecdote or with an introductory sentence is a good way to break the ice between the crowd and you, and then going forward with the rest of the speech.

The best way to keep it short but interesting is to avoid using long sentences that can be said with only one word, the right adjective can make a difference.

Keep it short and sweet. Say what you want to say in as short as possible, 1 or 2 min. Trust me, even that will feel like forever.

Don't make it all serious, try to have a subtle joke or two in there just to incite some laughter. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

A good speech is exciting to hear from top to bottom. People have a short attention lifespan, specially on this events, so as long as you can keep them listening to you, words will actually mean something to them.

Starting with a short anecdote or with an introductory sentence is a good way to break the ice between the crowd and you, and then going forward with the rest of the speech.

The best way to keep it short but interesting is to avoid using long sentences that can be said with only one word, the right adjective can make a difference.

I haven't really spoken that much English in the last year and have forgotten quite a bit so...what is an anecdote?  ;)

I should be studying.

Keep it short and sweet. Say what you want to say in as short as possible, 1 or 2 min. Trust me, even that will feel like forever.

Don't make it all serious, try to have a subtle joke or two in there just to incite some laughter. 

Thanks! 1-2 minutes should be great.

I should be studying.

I haven't really spoken that much English in the last year and have forgotten quite a bit so...what is an anecdote?  ;)

Short, real-life story - sometimes funny, though it's usually interesting. Can't you look it up on Google?

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I thought you were going to say goodbye to us... I almost cried  :P

About your speech, keep it short, clean(don't get nervous) and keep a straight posture but not like a robot, you'll do fine.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

A moment where something interesting happened, often funny and memorable :)

Do you have a good level of Japanese?

A moment where something interesting happened, often funny and memorable :)

Do you have a good level of Japanese?

Good enough.

I should be studying.

I would say I'd listen to a speech for around 40 seconds without getting uninterested

Sweet thanks for the tip.

I should be studying.

@Prodigydeadeye I emailed my English teacher, I will pm you a lot of helpful stuff in a day or two okay. 

@Prodigydeadeye I emailed my English teacher, I will pm you a lot of helpful stuff in a day or two okay. 

Wow I was not expecting that. Thanks!

I should be studying.

Good Luck OP :D

Thanks. Can't wait to get back to America and start my new PC build  :lol:  Japan is great, but I am ready to go home.

I should be studying.

Thanks. Can't wait to get back to America and start my new PC build  :lol:  Japan is great, but I am ready to go home.

Haha I wish I could go to Japan, I hope you had a good time there. 

Oh are you going to a do a build log or just a normal build? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I'm not the best at giving speeches, but when I have to (ya know, for school and whatnot) I tend to keep it short, simple, and sweet, with pure information and no filler.

COMIC SANS

in the middle of the speech , yell "RUN.... GODZILLA!!!" :mellow: :D

Details separate people.

Haha I wish I could go to Japan, I hope you had a good time there. 

Oh are you going to a do a build log or just a normal build? 

I don't know. There are already a few using the case I want to use, so it will probably just be a normal build.

I should be studying.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

no.

I should be studying.

yay, i thought someone was leaving ltt again :c

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

yay, i thought someone was leaving ltt again :c

Lol why would anyone leave?  :D

I should be studying.