XFX 7850... Is 1gb ok for 1280x1024?

So you tested a 2GB version of the 7850?

if the 2gb is not used i.e on a game that uses 1 gb or less they would perform the same (more or less)

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

A 7850 with 2gbs would use those 2gbs where needed, i really dint understand what this arguments about?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

if the 2gb is not used i.e on a game that uses 1 gb or less they would perform the same (more or less)

Yes, but the reviewers(along with freeman) state that the 7850 is not powerful enough to handle more than 1GB of VRAM. I will openly disagree with that and I have been. A 560 Ti handles more than 1GB of VRAM just fine, and yet the 7850 is more powerful. Something tells me the 2GB of VRAM wouldn't be bottlenecked by the 7850 GPU. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You could have 8gb vram on a 7950 it would help with aa and high res, nothing to do with the core clockspeed, i think what g.freeman means is its not fast enough for there to be any point? A bit like yeah 7970 supports 4k but its probably gona be so slow by then that its 3gb would be hardly worth having.

I might not agree with some of nvidia marketing practices but they did well to include 2gb vram on their high end cards as that is ample for 1080P and even higher when mated to a GTX 670 or 680 core. The benchmarks show this is true.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

A 7850 with 2gbs would use those 2gbs where needed, i really dint understand what this arguments about?

The reviewers and Freeman are claiming the 7850 cannot use more than 1GB of VRAM. It's not powerful enough - that's what they're claiming.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It won't improve performance is the point. Like putting a pair of racing slick tires on a Dodge mini van sure it will make it stick better but it still wont keep up with a Corvette LOL.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

The reviewers and Freeman are claiming the 7850 cannot use more than 1GB of VRAM. It's not powerful enough - that's what they're claiming.

At 1080P the difference is menial if not non existent. @ 5,760 x 1,080 the 2gb HD 7850 will pull ahead as indicated from the bench marks I linked to but at that point both cards are performing so slow that it does not matter.

The memory clockspeed is a seperat thing from the core clockspeed. Gddr5 is so fast they could put more or less as much as they can fit on the chip. Thats why titan has 6gb. Because they could. A gpu will utilise all the memory it has to and itll max out if i program is demanding enough regardless of the core clock speed.

It won't improve performance is the point. Like putting a pair of racing slick tires on a Dodge mini van sure it will make it stick better but it still wont keep up with a Corvette LOL.

And yet the 7850 1GB and 2GB models are exactly the same. That illustration is poop. A better illustration would be something like...a Dodge mini van with regular tires vs slick tires. The mini van will steer better with the slicks.

At 1080P the difference is menial if not non existent. @ 1460x1440P the 2gb HD 7850 will pull ahead as indicated from the bench marks I linked to but at that point both cards are performing so slow that it does not matter.

yes that is a better way of wording it, i think thats about as fine a point you can make on it

And yet the 7850 1GB and 2GB models are exactly the same. That illustration is poop. A better illustration would be something like...a Dodge mini van with regular tires vs slick tires. The mini van will steer better with the slicks.

You thin that an extra gig of Vram makes the card faster when it does not. It's only at triple screen resolution were Vram matters.

no i think g freeman has made a bit of a fair point here, i think the wording has been confusing people, hes right in what he says

You thin that an extra gig of Vram makes the card faster when it does not. It's only at triple screen resolution were Vram matters.

+1

Sorry, but I disagree. I'm using a single monitor, and Tomb Raider has used more than 1GB of VRAM. And get this...I'm not even gaming at 1080p. I'm gaming at 1600x900. And give a 7850 512MB of VRAM, and tell me that VRAM only matters at triple screen resolutions.

Sorry, but I disagree. I'm using a single monitor, and Tomb Raider has used more than 1GB of VRAM. And get this...I'm not even gaming at 1080p. I'm gaming at 1600x900.

anti aliasing and tressfx....

Using a weaker card too than the 7850. And TressFX hasn't been enabled numerous times, and it still consumed over 1GB of VRAM.

It matters at all resolutions but only to a certain point, remember, its resolution, aa, and physx/tressfx that use the vram up

It matters at all resolutions but only to a certain point, remember, its resolution, aa, and physx/tressfx that use the vram up

Batman Arkham City doesn't use 1GB of VRAM with all settings maxed out at 1600x900. Including PhysX on high and anti-aliasing.

Sorry, but I disagree. I'm using a single monitor, and Tomb Raider has used more than 1GB of VRAM. And get this...I'm not even gaming at 1080p. I'm gaming at 1600x900.

look at the numbers at 5760x1080 the card is so slow it makes no differance .

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/11/05/msi-radeon-hd-7850-1gb-review/3

Using a weaker card too than the 7850. And TressFX hasn't been enabled numerous times, and it still consumed over 1GB of VRAM.

im sure it has, its a demanding game, im a little confused about the main point your trying to make? : )

the 7970 ghz cokes on that game .

im sure it has, its a demanding game, im a little confused about the main point your trying to make? : )

I was using a weaker card to achieve that result. I'm sure a 7850 could do the same.

Its like my 580 has 1.5gb of ram ok, so if i wanted to play at 2560x1600 i get the 3gb version right? Wrong because the cards so slow at the resolution id be playing at low settings all the time. Sure the 3gb would help, but pointlessly so.

Its like my 580 has 1.5gb of ram ok, so if i wanted to play at 2560x1600 i get the 3gb version right? Wrong because the cards so slow at the resolution id be playing at low settings all the time. Sure the 3gb would help, but pointlessly so.

I'm done arguing.

This really is ridiculous and helps the OP out in no way, if you think a 1GB model is fine, Great! say that, if you think a 2GB model is preferable, sure go ahead and say that too, at least then the OP can go through the thread and work out what percentage of people suggested what and draw a conclusion. Don't bother with pages and pages of petty arguing about it as it just blights the whole thread in drama and leaves the OP in a situation where they would be no wiser about what card to get unless they spend a considerable amount of time trying to decrypt half of whats been said in this flamefest, and even then its a mass of different opinions converging which unless the OP specifically chooses to believe one over the other will still be no use.